Options

Tab 400 factory mods

Currently have a 320 s max and are going to order 400. What factory mods would you wish you had requested of the factory? The only one we can think of is ultra leather for the dinette.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Well, modifications are no longer made on the production line, but you can have mods done post- production.  

Consider having the Victron SmartShunt installed to monitor your battery.  
    I would consider having the stock Fantastic Fan placed in the bathroom and have a MaxxAir fan as the main vent.
    How about having a sewer hose storage tube placed?
    Add an outside cover for the Cool Cat A/C and make sure the control is viewable.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    Victron battery monitor, Maxxair Deluxe, Fantastic Fan in the bathroom. Those, plus rooftop solar, are all things we've done to our Tab 400. Worth it! 
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    @Sharon_is_SAM - when you say mods are done post-production does that mean they are only done through the dealer shops now?
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    @rhyno - No.  You can have your mods done in the NuCamp Non-warranty Repair Dept. by Austin and crew when your TaB comes off the line.  His area is in a smaller building adjacent to the factory.  I am not sure how you arrange this (through your dealer or privately), but I can check.  
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Per nuCamp Customer Service regarding arranging for mods on a new TaB build:

On a new order TaB, the customer must arrange for mods through the ordering dealer.  
    If the trailer is already in the possession of the customer, then mods can be scheduled with nuCamp.
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,007
    Chances are your dealer will not know what you are talking about when asking for post production mods.  Mine certainly was clueless.  But luckily they gave me Austin's email and I communicated directly with him.  He just needs to know the VIN of your trailer, which your dealer should give you, and what mods you want.  Payment is made directly to NuCamp in a separate invoice, not to the dealer.  This is the process we were told to use when we ordered our 2021 400 this year. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    edited September 2020
    We placed the order for our 2021 T@b 400 through our dealer yesterday and we added the following to the "NOTES" section of our order form. The dealer reached out to Nucamp on our behalf to get pricing on adding an AC outlet. He also said he has been after Nucamp regularly to add locks to the newly designed storage and Nautilus access doors. It is a common complaint from his other buyers so we added that to the notes section as well to hopefully get them to either redesign the door handles by the time our build gets rolling or to add a lock to them at the factory so we do not have to worry about voiding the warranty by doing it ourselves.
    - We would like Nucamp to install an additional AC outlet (agreed-upon cost, location of outlet, etc)......

- We would like Nucamp to add locks to both the outside storage and Nautilus access doors. 
    We also discussed some mods that the dealer would be able to do for us himself once we receive it. It is good to know from the @bergger post above that we could reach out to Austin if we think of something else we would like done at the factory post-build/pre-delivery and that we can just pay Nucamp directly. At any rate, we will have plenty of time to think of things to add as it looks like it will be March-April 2021 at the earliest to receive our camper due to the parts shortages that have affected Nucamp. My guess is our build won't even start until after Jan 1.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The new doors used on the Nautilus and cargo hatch, are a ready made item nüCamp buys, like the TaB main doors, they do not make them or install the latches on them, this is how they get them.

To get a locking door back on the cargo area, you could see if Austin would replace the stock door with the larger, locking one previously used.  This will require having the door opening reframed, but should be doable.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Michigan_DennisMichigan_Dennis Member Posts: 12
    I bought a used 2020 Tab 400 solo boondock and would like to know if the water system can be upgraded to the nautilus system?
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 261
    edited February 2021
    I just took our 2021 Tab400 BD to Nucamp in January and had the following mods done because we didnt know we could have requested them during the build:
    1. Zamp solar connection
    2. Victron BMV712 monitor
    3. Bulldog surge protector installed inline (inside) the trailer so no having to cable lock it to the pole. 
    4. Fantastic fan moved to the bathroom and a Maxxair fan installed. 
    5. Some warranty work performed. 

Was very impressed with Nucamp and their team - Austin in particular. 
    Here's a few pics from Nucamp. Well, the last pic is from a local diner - peanut butter pie for breakfast. Best ever...Oh, and whoever's Tab door is that, that is so cool! 

2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited February 2021
    @CTandCwTab400.  Adding the Nautilus system to a older model TaB like yours woukd be quite involved.  The door around the system is smaller than your current access door on the driver’s side, which would require a custom built mounting box for the Nautilus system to fit in the existing larger opening, and use the existing access door.  Also your plumbing would need to be completely redone, requiring removing part of the interior to access everything.

I gave this a thought when the Nautilus system first came out, and quickly dismissed it as being impractical and expensive mod.  You would also loose your quick access to the Alde system mixing valve and pressure release valve, which have to be accessed by removing the bunk bottom that covers the Alde compartment.  

Currently you can reach in through the Alde access cover, and release the yellow valves when needed, which is necessary when you are using the system for hot water for longer than a few days.  You would have some unused holes or plumbing connections on the side of the trailer.  If you want just the ability to pump water into the tank, you could probably get that function without installing the complete Nautilus panel.  You also have easy access to your Alde bypass valve which is better labeled than the Nautilus unit, and your low point drains, which also might need relocating if you added the Nautilus panel.

I would give this idea a miss...
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 261
    Here are the pictures again. Hopefully these are resized  
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.