Does your 2018 and later Clamshell - CS have a solenoid valve for propane flow?

Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
edited August 2020 in Trailer & Towing
A new owner reported that their propane does not flow without power.  I know the TaGs have a solenoid valve that turns off propane when the galley hatch closes, but I have never heard this on the TaB clamshell models.

Anyone else with a 2018 or later CSS have a solenoid?  Apparently the TaGs have a switch on the left galley hatch.  Here is a picture of the TaG switch.  @kdawg - do you have this?

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio

Comments

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    My 2013 doesn’t have one. Not sure what year NuCamp added it. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    I know they added it to the TaGs in 2018.  Our 2017 does not have one.
    I know they added it to the TaGs in 2018.  Our 2017 does not have one.
    Not sure exactly what year they added it to the T@Bs but I suspect that it's the same as the T@Gs. I think that it might be required for RVIA certification.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I know the Dutchmen Clamshells have a button in the top left corner of the hatch that depressed when the hatch is closed cutting off the gas. Unfortunately, when the hatch is open, having that button "open" used battery power. I removed my entire propane system, so was able to use that 12V line for a different purpose.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
    I will send an email to the factory.
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    AFAIK all the DM clamshells were equipped with the cut off switch.  There were several related mods and trouble shooting posts when these were the current model.  As I understood it was a requirement for a propane appliance in a small enclosed space and the reason the 3-way refrigerator was not offered in the CS.  On our trailer, it was removed and discarded by NuCamp during my floor replacement.  I was kind of surprised at the time but was told it was not required or used on the new CS at that time. 

Well, surprise, surprise...per Creed at nuCamp, the clamshell models have included the solenoid since the mid 2018 model year.  So, due to the small constant power draw, I guess when boondocking, make sure to close the hatch.  Apparently there is a “click noise” when the hatch is opened indicating that the solenoid switch has been activated to allow propane to flow.

Another option is to do what HikinMike did over on the TaG forum:

1.  Cut a 6 inch section of 1/2 inch OD automotive hose

2.  Split it down the middle

3.  Slide onto the shock

4.  Then use red tape on the top as a reminder of the switch.
    Slide the hose down and the solenoid deactivates and the propane will not flow to the stove.

5.  Slide the hose up and the solenoid is activated and propane flows to the stove.  Remember to push it down when done cooking and before closing the hatch.

edited August 2020
    The hose solution would be good for boondockers but there should really be a switch that automatically closes when the clamshell is closed but doesn’t automatically open when the clamshell is opened. Did NuCamp say what the draw is?
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    No, I did not ask to quantify the draw.  I think I read on the TaG forum that it was a “slow” drain, so probably not much.  We need someone with a new CS and a good battery monitor to check it out.
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    looks like fixing this may be our 3rd mod that we'll be doing for the clamshell...especially after getting the wings walls from Meme!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • incidentalmusicincidentalmusic Member Posts: 16
    @rfuss928 Can you describe your switch install? I would like to do this to our CS because yes, the door open is a decent battery drain.
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    edited October 2020
    incidentalmusic  On the DM CS the switch is a simple plunger that can be seen in the photo above.  I added the illuminated switch in series with the existing switch and fastened it to the base of its housing with a couple zip ties.  All the wiring and connections necessary are readily accessible in that corner of the hatch opening.  Now both switches have to be closed ("on") for the solenoid to be energized.