Options

2021 320 Boondock Step Light annoying to anyone else?

jebjamjebjam Member Posts: 43
We love our new TAB, but the ONE thing we find super annoying is the automatic LED step light that comes on when the step is extended.  It'd be great if it were manual, but the automatic switch means its on 24/7 when we're camping.  Near the camper it is nicely deflected downward, but at any distance its like a flashlight in your eye - disturbing the serenity of a campfire and probably irritating to campers on other sites.  
I know the power draw is low, but having any light on 24/7 especially while boondocking just seems silly.
I've posted photos of my makeshift solution - a spring clamp that holds the switch (its like a refrigerator light switch) in the off position.  Its not ideal, as the switch protrudes on the other side.  Anyone else bothered by this added feature and have a better MacGyver?  I've considered adding a simple switch beside the light but don't like the idea of having to screw something into the undercarriage.

2021 T@B 320 CS-S Boondock / 2020 Ram 3.0 EcoDiesel
Golden, CO

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    You could always replace the factory step switch with a small toggle or push on/off  switch you control. 
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Thanks for the link Sharon, sorry I didn't see that, I searched step light but didn't find anything.  My T@B 320 is similar to the 400 in that the light comes on automatically, but the light itself is different so some of that discussion isn't applicable, I'll add that to the title.

Denny16 said:
    You could always replace the factory step switch with a small toggle or push on/off  switch you control. 
    Cheers 
    Thanks Denny good thought, I haven't been able to sort out how the switch is attached, not sure I could get it out without breaking it.  Sure would be simpler - I wish NuCamp had just done that!
    Golden, CO
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    It it appears the switch is a push through with a locking tab on one side, try compressing that raised side tab, and push it back out from the back towards the front.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
    It it appears the switch is a push through with a locking tab on one side, try compressing that raised side tab, and push it back out from the back towards the front.
    cheers
    Thanks again Denny, exactly right, and it easily popped forward pressing on just the locking tab facing outwards.  With it detached I can see there are two contacts, it should be easy to substitute a manual switch, I guess I'd just screw it into the undercarriage or leave it attached by the wires and supported in the existing hole left by the factory switch.  Appreciate your help!
    Golden, CO
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    What I want to investigate but haven't, is wiring the step light in series with the porch light, if porch light is off, no power to the step light, that way only time the step lights is when it is deployed AND the porch light is on. This should be simple to do, just need to find the wires for each.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2020
    I don't blame you a bit for being aggravated. Lights should be minimal in a campsite.

Where I was camping in March, there was a 'camper' on the other side of the campground, where the whole front of the RV had a giant vee of a light. (It looked like a factory option, it fit the styling of the RV).

To illuminate their 'yard', I suppose, in case the bears came by -- clearly I don't understand. It lit my campsite as well. Finally it went off around midnight.

Ok, admittedly it's just my personal beef, but the way I figure it is, yes, the LED lights that are available are amazing. No, that doesn't mean they should be used everywhere! Especially when they intrude on other campers' spaces. If the light can be seen by another campsite - if the light upstages the stars, or the gentle glow of my dwindling campfire - it needs to be unobtrusive and switchable.

There, I've spouted!
    (Soapbox off...)  B)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    What I want to investigate but haven't, is wiring the step light in series with the porch light, if porch light is off, no power to the step light, that way only time the step lights is when it is deployed AND the porch light is on. This should be simple to do, just need to find the wires for each.
    That would be a very slick setup, neat and trim.  I like the idea of being able to light the step separately for the reasons ChanW shared, but having control with or without the porch light would be a big improvement over the automatic switch.  Please share if you sort that wiring out!  I think I'm going to use my clamp the next couple of trips and then make the $5 investment to swap out for a toggle, should be a very easy change that will be easy to replace if it falls off. I can't imagine what engineer thought they should build a camper with a light that never goes off...

I agree with you completely ChanW.  Hard to choose which is more annoying, the noise of a neighbor's A/C running on a cool night while we have our windows all open or the glaring light of someone else's brightly lit RV that lights my site as much as theirs. Funny, we experienced "The V" at our last site as well, our neighbor had it, and it faced us not them!  We turn off all the lights, inside and out when we're enjoying a campfire - I don't expect everyone else to be in darkness but sure don't expect to have to close my blinds to sleep at night because of their fancy aesthetics either.  The 320's porch light isn't on that scale, but its a similar issue nonetheless, and we should be able to turn it off.
    Golden, CO