2021 T@B 400 storage compartment no lock problem

Has anyone with a 2021 been able to figure out how to install a lock on the plastic exterior storage compartment door.  For some unknown crazy reason nucamp decided that two plastic latches with no locks would keep our belongings safe.

The 7/8 inch cam lock that was suggested by another member is too large and will not fit because the cam lock is oval and the hole in the door is round.  Any thoughts on solving this issue are appreciated.
Thank you
2021 T@B 400, 2020 Audi Q5 
Portland, OR

Comments

• rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    Bumped for interest on this too. Without a lockable outside storage compartment we're going to need to move items inside the coach when we aren't camping. I know the "751" keys make lockable storage kind of a moot point but sometimes seeing a lock is enough of a deterrent and every little bit helps.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    The easiest solution is to add a lock or locking latch.  That said, the original TaB400 outside door lock, was the same key used by most every other trailer using this style lock, and anyone that wanted one, can get the key.  The lock was more of a way to keep the door secured from opening whilst going down the road, than it was to prevent theft.  It did keep kids out from messing around.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    I reached out to nucamp customer support directly to see what they suggest for adding a lock and will update the thread when I hear back from them. If anyone finds something that works on these new style storage doors, let us know.
  • gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    I believe more in an alarm system as I have in mine. If they want to get in they will and if it is locked well then you will have to repair the damaged door when they are done. I don't even leave the door, propane locker, or the 2 tool boxes on the front locked as they ALL have alarms and a sign on the door says ALARM SOUNDS WHEN DOOR OPENS! as the alarm is so loud and I won't have to later repair a damaged door after. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
    edited August 2020
    Unfortunately an alarm won't help in our case. The storage lot is in the country and it isn't guarded overnight. Thieves would just work through the noise no longer than it would take to clean us out. I don't need Fort Knox, just looking for a way to secure the door like any other RV made this century. If their isn't a fix then I feel like we'll need to empty the storage locker after every trip. 
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @gulfarea, just out of curiosity, what type of alarm do you use in those areas?
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    Bayliss I am a Ham Radio and electrical trade school boy. It was very eazy to make up a good alarm. Putting on the net just how I did it would defeet the whole thing. I used a tilt switch for any movement of the T@B supplemented by other switches. This is so loud it scares me! I believe locks only keep honest folks away. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @gulfarea, thank you for the response.  I am familiar with what you are referring to.  Sounds like you put your knowledge to good use.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

Given your storage situation, I would remove anything I did not want to loose.
    cheerw
  • GiotaGiota Member Posts: 57
    For this application I use two Mini Alert Motion Sensor Alarms I purchased from Home Depot in the past. Each is about the size of a hand. If someone sticks THEIR hand in that compartment, it goes berserk.
  • jschmierjschmier Member Posts: 26
    Keeping the storage door unlocked allows for entry into the TT when your granddaughter locks the door with the keys inside.  Not certain how the 2021 is configured, but in my 2018 unit w/solar, that same granddaughter, with some help, was able to push open the center bed panel, shimmy her way into the unit, and open the door.  An adult couldn't get thru and a thief who wants in, will get into your unit if they really want to.
    2018 T@B 400/solar/2022 Honda Ridgeline
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    @jschmier
    On the 2021, the outside storage is walled off from the under-bed area...and the access door is really small, so unless you are a truly tiny person, you won't be getting in there!
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
    edited September 2020
    An if you do, you will not get into the trailer from there.  So be careful about loosing your key!  On older units that have the original open storage area (2018/2019), one could install a door latch on the center bunk lift up panel to,prevent entry from under the bunk.
    cheers
  • jadamsdptjadamsdpt Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a TAB 400 2021 and reached out to the company (raphael) to inquire about a lock on the storage compartment. He said that if you did install lock on the door (assuming you would have to drill) that the warranty on the door would be voided.  Those motion detectors sound like a good solution! 
  • jenniferlzrjenniferlzr Member Posts: 59
    Yeah, it’s odd that it doesn’t lock. Trying to think what I’ll put in there.
    edited September 2020
    I wonder if the storage bin is tall enough to accommodate the swing of a bear trap ;)
  • SimbionicSimbionic Member Posts: 23
    Anyone know why NuCamp didn’t put a lock on the storage compartment? (2021 400 Boondock). Doesn’t seem smart to leave a few expensive items like a drill or surge protector in there. Is anyone adding a lock mechanism?  Any tips to offer?
    Simbionic
    Tab 400BD
    TV: 2013 Lexus GX460
    The new locker doors in the new 2021 TaB400 are purchased by nüCamp pre-built and the source manufacturer did not include locks.  The doors are off the shelf sourced doors, which keeps costs down over special order doors.

Thant said, as previously discussed, the locks provided on the old doors were common to most RV’s made and not real security, more of a way to keep kids out and contents in during travel.  
    Cheers