Options

Tab fender flares

RedRaiderRedRaider Member Posts: 11
edited August 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
I found a couple of threads that discussed the problem with the black plastic fender flares on the Tab Boondock /Outbacks.  It can be difficult to remove a wheel and tire because the flares block access to the fender well.  

Has anybody tried to trim the flares?  It looks like they could be trimmed below the keter track to the bottom of the flare.   There’s one screw inside the fender well that supports that portion of the flare, which would no longer be needed.  
the bottom corners.  

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    nüCamp has a new off road Boondock style fender flair they are using on the 2021 trailers, might be a better option than cutting down the existing flairs.   You could also just trim the front and back area of the flair, where it overlaps the tire side, to make tire changes easier.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    RedRaiderRedRaider Member Posts: 11
    i was planning to trim off the bottom few inches of
    the flare.  Like you said, just the area where they overlap the tires.  
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,604
    IMHO, Once you have removed/installed a wheel you will find the correct angles to allow easy enough access for the task. I've found the task to be A-OK with fenders as is.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @RedRaider, I agree with @MuttonChops.  Be sure you try removing the tires once before doing any cutting.  My tires/wheels come off easily.  After the lug nuts, try sliding the wheel outward on the spindle and raise the bottom of the tire to get the right angle to slip it off.  It helps to raise the jack sufficiently to add a little extra ground clearance.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)