Options

Locked Out!

LloydLloyd Member Posts: 34
edited August 2020 in Camping & Travel
In the midst of a carefree adventure to Montana, North Dakota, and the Black Hills a momentary mishap occurred. After opening our camper I exited and somehow the door locked behind me. To my total chagrin, the keys for our locked TV and camper were inside our Tab. The KOA campsite in Miles City, Montana had the number of a local locksmith who was up for the challenge and gained access. On site he was able to fabricate a replacement key for us from a motorcycle key blank. With some experimentation I was able to determine that somehow the lock lever had been displaced upward before exiting. When the door shut and locked behind me I immediately realized our predicament. The cost of an education is expensive no matter what school you attend. In the case, $55!
2020 T@B 400 w/ factory solar
2015 Nissan Frontier SV, 4WD Crew Cab
Cottage Grove, MN

Comments

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @Lloyd Are you going to duct tape the key to the camper in some out of the way hidden spot where it cannot fall to the ground?
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    Still considering my options ... just glad we weren’t boondocking in a remote BLM site!
    Cottage Grove, MN
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    It may be awkward, but I carry a set of house/barn keys with a camper key in my pocket all the time.  It has saved me a couple of times at home and the camper key is actually the one camper key I use the most. I rarely use the camper key on the ring with my truck keys. But it’s there. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Why is RVLock taking so long to put out the next version with built-in voice recognition?
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    @DougH, send them an email. I’ve been asking for over two years. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Perhaps they don’t recognize your voice. 🙂
    Cottage Grove, MN
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    $55 is cheap! We always carry two sets of keys, one in use and the other stashed in the tow vehicle. I also have a hide a key on the tow vehicle. each set for the tab also has hitch lock, wheel locks, outside storage, etc. in case you misplace one set, you can still unlock the hitch and wheel and go home.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    MASHMASH Member Posts: 3
    I keep a spare set of keys in my glovebox in my tow vehicle for this exact reason.  
  • Options
    That all sounds great but both sets of keys to the TV were in the Tab. While the locksmith was working I had visions of having to drill-out the lock mechanism and overnight shipping a new lock.
    Cottage Grove, MN
  • Options
    Lloyd said:
    That all sounds great but both sets of keys to the TV were in the Tab.
    Oops, tactical error. I bet that won't happen again :)
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Do I recall someone slithering through the storage hatch on the 400?
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    @jgram2 you do, maybe a skinny kid, I know I won't fit. I am not sure on the 21's that would be an option with the compartmentalized storage and I believe a much smaller outside access door.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    I'm really happy to have the RVLock, but there are ways to hide a spare key on the frame of a T@B. 

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    I do hide a key box with keys for TV & trailer stuck on the propane bottle in the tub covered with hoses!
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Noe you need to find a new hiding spot... 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    PjknoblePjknoble Member Posts: 14
    I think it is something with the kind of handle/lock they use. I have a new 2021 T@B 400 and if the door slams, it will automatically lock shut. There must be enough give/jiggling that it pushes it into a locked position. It happened to me the first day when I was putting things in and out. Luckily, I had the other key in the house.  I immediately went to get a Hide-a-key and installed it.  It now contains all other keys that I need. (This has happened another 4 times). Drives me crazy.  Not a good “feature”.
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock • Acura MDX
    PacNW
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    Pjknoble said:
    I think it is something with the kind of handle/lock they use. I have a new 2021 T@B 400 and if the door slams, it will automatically lock shut. There must be enough give/jiggling that it pushes it into a locked position. It happened to me the first day when I was putting things in and out. Luckily, I had the other key in the house.  I immediately went to get a Hide-a-key and installed it.  It now contains all other keys that I need. (This has happened another 4 times). Drives me crazy.  Not a good “feature”.

Our 2020 did this, it was caused by the bolt being dry. I simply lubricated it and was fine. Never was locked out, but I always keep the spare set of keys in my truck. FMC, so I can unlock the truck either with the fob, the keypad, or my phone (if I have service). Not sure why other MFG's haven't been smart enough to put a keypad on the door like FMC.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    FinchyFinchy Member Posts: 38
    @Lloyd. has anyone mentioned something like this? I installed it on my 2014 T@B and it was the best mod I've made. Has a FOB, too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N58KQMQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2019 Tacoma Off Road
    2014 T@B S Wet Bath Max Plus

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).
    -Mark Twain

• Options
    @Finchy, your 2014 T@B SMax has an entirely different door than the 320’s from 2018 on and the 2018 to present 400’s. RVLock has known about the new nüCamp doors since the 2018 400’s came out and they gave not developed a lock that will work with the thicker doors.

I had an RV lock on my 2014 T@B and the RVLock worked wonderfully.   
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I have a spare key, for both my truck and the Tab, with the 'unimportant parts' ground off, so it fits in my wallet. I 'always' have my wallet.... (knock on wood)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    FinchyFinchy Member Posts: 38
    @Verna That's a real bummer. I wonder why they have not produced one.
    2019 Tacoma Off Road
    2014 T@B S Wet Bath Max Plus

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).
    -Mark Twain

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited September 2020
    Finchy said:
    @Verna That's a real bummer. I wonder why they have not produced one.
    Not enough demand, most likely. No other US RV manufacturer uses these new doors.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    I have seen them used on Europe caravans, recognized the door right off.  The current doors are imported by nüCamp from Europe.
    cheere
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited September 2020
    ChanW said:
    I have a spare key, for both my truck and the Tab, with the 'unimportant parts' ground off, so it fits in my wallet. I 'always' have my wallet.... (knock on wood)
    I have opposite problem. I tend to leave the wallet in the T@B when I'm hanging in the campground for a weekend. Arrive on Friday, and put the wallet away when getting ready for bed. Hanging in the recliner all day Saturday (contemplating the wind blowing through the leaves) Leave on Sunday, and forget to bring the wallet into the truck. Ooops going through a drive-through on the way home. Funny sight getting out of the truck in the drive through, going around to the T@B to get the wallet :)

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Denny16 said:
    I have seen them used on Europe caravans, recognized the door right off.  The current doors are imported by nüCamp from Europe.
    cheere
    I think they are Italian. When looking for parts for my Dutchmen handle, found the new door parts in an Italian catalogue

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    ChanW said:
    I have opposite problem. I tend to leave the wallet in the T@B when I'm hanging in the campground for a weekend. Arrive on Friday, and put the wallet away when getting ready for bed. Hanging in the recliner all day Saturday (contemplating the wind blowing through the leaves) Leave on Sunday, and forget to bring the wallet into the truck. Ooops going through a drive-through on the way home. Funny sight getting out of the truck in the drive through, going around to the T@B to get the wallet :)

Well at least you didn't leave it on a picnic table, or have a squirrel steal it...
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL