Options

2017 RAV4 Hybrid as tow vehicle for 320-S

Would love to hear from anyone who has experience towing the 320-S with a RAV4 Hybrid (we have 2017 model year). I know there have been lots of discussions about what the manual says vs.manual on European models, etc., etc., but am looking for real world experience. Thanks to anyone who can help out.

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    The recommended minimum towing capacity for towing a 320 is 3500 lbs. Your RAV4 hybrid is rated at half that, 1750 lbs, so it can’t even be classed as a marginally adequate tow vehicle for a Tab. Sorry. Euro limits are completely irrelevant for quite a few reasons including speed limits, terrain, and trailer design, but insurance is a big one. No one wants to pay total liability for an accident out of pocket, especially if there are injuries, and US insurance companies use the limits as provided by the manufacturers for US models when evaluating claims. 

The Highlander Hybrid is rated at 3500, if you decide to switch and want to stick with a hybrid. We’ve had a number of owners who love that combo. Or the current RAV4 Adventure, which isn’t hybrid but is capable of safely towing a Tab. But as far as towing with your current vehicle, you should be looking at a dry weight of around 1000-1200 pounds to leave you a margin of error after loading up with gear, food, and water. The Tab 320 is 1800 lbs empty.

2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
    We tow with an Adventure... thanks for confirming our reasonably good judgement!
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    sandiashastasandiashasta Member Posts: 2
    Thank you both for your comments.
  • Options
    mammydmammyd Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2019 RAV4 Adventure and the 2020 Tab 320S Boondock light.  I know the towing capacity for the RAV4 is 3500.  I had a 2009 Tacoma towed a Casita all over the country, over several mountain passes!  I ended up having to put a new transmission in the Tacoma after that trip!  Should I be hesitant to pull my Tab with the RAV4 in the mountains??!!
  • Options
    MarcoMarco Member Posts: 18
    I towed with 2019 Rav4 hybrid in sportsmode. Engine was having a hard time and do not recomend it. Im seriously thinking about getting a Nissan Frontier or a used Tundra.