Options

Another "fickle hot water" problem - Resolved

2manyplaces2manyplaces Member Posts: 20
Our 2018 320s will give us almost instant hot water when using gas.
When connected to shore power it will not heat.
I searched the "no hot water " thread but couldn't find anything to help except tried waiting 20 minutes but still none. I even waited an hour! We have read the book, no help there !
The temperature in the trailer is 74 and we have set it in the menu to 64
The menu is set to power 2 the and is the only green highlighted icon
In settings it is on Thermo and power is set on 2 ( not sure what this means or does, if someone could explain I would be grateful )
Do we need to have the pump on ? it doesn't seem to make a difference ( There is already water through both shower and tap.)
Any help would be appreciated Thank you 

2018 320S
Vancouver Island.

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,678
    Big plug near the Alde plugged in?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited September 2020
    @2manyplaces, I am on my way out the door, so hopefully I get this all right (quickly.)  It sounds like you have already done it, but just in case......

On the Alde 3020 control panel, turn off the gas (press the button by the flame so it says "Off"), and press the "+" button next to the lighting bolt to turn on the electric power.  The "+" button is green when it is on.  [NOTE:  Even if both propane and electric are selected on the Alde 3020 control panel, the system gives priority to electric, unless you change the priority ("Prio") in the settings menu.]  Also, fill in the shaded icon (adjacent to the shower symbol on the control panel) to get hot water.  Half-shaded is normal operating temperature, while fully-shaded will "boost" the heating by temporarily turning off the circulation pump to focus the heat on the Alde boiler and increase the hot water temperature (takes about 20-30 minutes.) 

Your pump setting should be set to "Therm."

Here are my notes on the "1" or "2" setting (hopefully, I have it all right):

The lightning bolt icon on the Alde 3020 control panel is for AC power when you are hooked up to shore power (30-amp) or plugged into 120V, or a generator.  Your choices are either 1 or 2, which controls how many heating elements are turned on inside the hot water tank (which will affect how quickly the water will be heated.)  Level 1 = 1 kwh (which, on a 15 or 20-amp circuit, will give heat the water to approximately 120-125 degrees; 2 = 2 kwh (which, on a 30-amp circuit, will heat the water to approximately 149 degrees.)  The Alde has two 120V heating elements.  Each element has a maximum output of 950W each.  Use of both heating elements simultaneously requires a 16A breaker, which is why you should only use the 1 kwh setting when plugged in at your house (i.e., 120V outlet; 15 or 20 amp circuit), UNLESS you have a dedicated 30-amp outlet, which allows you to operate both heating elements without the risk of tripping the circuit breaker.

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,510
    @Bayliss - it was the Alde plug as pthomas745 suggested.  They are back in business!  

Good review of the Alde function.  Not sure if the two 120v heating elements are meant to be additive to 240v as it only operates on 120v.  And I just learned that the Alde 3020 allows you to change the “priority” from electric to gas.  Can’t do that with the 3010 version.  Not sure which Alde they have.  Thanks Bayliss!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thanks, @Sharon_is_SAM.  I wrote those notes quite a while ago and need to go back and research why I added the "240V" to my notes, because it does appear to be inaccurate.  Probably an incorrect assumption on my part at the time.  To avoid any confusion, I have edited my post to remove that reference.
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    2manyplaces2manyplaces Member Posts: 20
    First I am new at navigating replying so everyone sees, sorry I posted this a few days ago. Thank you all for your suggestions and will keep on hand for future reference. 
      :)  
    Just sat down to admit my error!! LOL. and I found the suggestion that it might not be plugged in !!  Thank you 
    I had another look and found "the big black plug" not plugged in !! Yes shore power has a bit of a quicker response than gas now, for hot water !!! 
    2018 320S
    Vancouver Island.

• Options
    Thanks @2manyplaces.  Glad you got it sorted out.  You might want to consider securing the plug in place with a couple zip-ties, such as is depicted in the photo below.