Options

Fellow Denverites? Are y’all winterizing for Tuesday?

High of 94... low of 31!! And predicted three nights in a row dipping below freezing!

We’re headed out on a trip three days after this when it will be back up in 80’s so I’m thinking about just turning on the Alde and leaving the cabinets open 🤷‍♂️

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    If it were me, I’d blow out the lines with a compressor (read up on this if you haven’t done it before), put RV antifreeze down the drains, and done. Maybe a 30 minute job and doesn’t require sanitizing afterwards, so it’s easily reversible.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,927
    @kbdigitiqe, X2 what @VictoriaP said! With no rv antifreeze in the fresh tank, just fill the fresh tank and go. Flushing(rinsing) faucets, showers and toilet, takes only a very few minutes and only a small amount of water. Literally, fill the fresh tank and go. That's if blowing the lines clear and rv antifreeze in the p-traps, drain line gates and toilet valve. Our favorite (and only) method of winterizing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    kbdigitiqekbdigitiqe Member Posts: 163
    D’oh sure wish I had an air compressor..
  • Options
    D’oh sure wish I had an air compressor..
    Some people have managed it with a tire inflator. Either way, you need an adapter that screws into the city water port. But yes, getting a way to do the blowout method makes winterizing SO much easier.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,927
    @kbdigitiqe, we have used a bicycle pump (first year), a borrowed compressor(regulator set to below 50 psi) and then, while stranded in Wyoming, a purchased 12v tiny inflator. All 3 methods work for blowing the lines clear, if patient. Anyone can do it using inexpensive, easy methods. The tiny inflator cost about $15 and was found at a camping supply store. If using this low pressure method, connect your water hose to the city water port, then connect the inflator to the hose. Pressurize the hose before opening one faucet at a time. The idea is not high pressure in the lines, but a low pressure, more volume used to clear the lines of water. Do the same if using a bicycle pump.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    kbdigitiqekbdigitiqe Member Posts: 163
    Super helpful thanks y’all!
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Kr@cken said:
    Totally unscientific response but growing up as a camper in Quebec my dad would always pour Smirnoffs Vodka into the sink if the temps dropped.  Disclaimer: I am in no way saying this will work for you but I winterized last winter as my Dad did and it worked fine. I poured it my grey tank. I don’t use the black tank...yet.  I did take the Alde off line. The great thing is that when  you de-winterize there is no smell or harmful residue. 
    RV antifreeze is non toxic and leaves no harmful smell. It is probably cheaper, too. 

It can usually be found in Walmart or auto supply stores, easily.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    If you use vodka, please don’t pour it in the toilet; alcohol will break down the rubber seal there over time. It’s a solvent, so it’s not good for plastic either, and also freezes at higher temps than the non toxic propylene glycol used for RV antifreeze. It’s fine in a pinch when you have nothing else available, or in warmer climates, but in some regions where winter is bitterly cold, it’s possible that using vodka will lead to a plumbing disaster in spring.

For the same reasons, don’t buy the cheapest antifreeze, as it’s often cut with alcohol. Hunt down the stuff that’s alcohol free. It’s easier to clean out in spring too.

Pumping antifreeze through the system is probably safest. A good blowout done thoroughly + antifreeze just in the drains, toilet, and tank valves is easy and leaves no potential aftertaste or significant smell, but it can miss areas like the connector where the water line meets the toilet as we’ve had a few members have trouble with water stuck in that area that freezes and cracks the connector. nüCamp uses the blowout method prior to transporting trailers to dealers. Either way is recommended over vodka.

Or if you’re like me, you can be overly cautious and do both. I installed a winterizing diverter valve on my pump last year and used that to pull antifreeze through the system after doing a blowout. Probably overkill in my fairly mild climate. 😁

2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW