Options

Tire pressure for T@B 320 S (2020)

Sidewall says max of 50 psi. Can they run at 44-46 ok?

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    The sticker on the front driver’s side of the TaB, lists the correct tire (tyre) pressure for your trailer.  The tire shows max recommended pressure for a cold tire/tyre.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited September 2020
    @Lauinger, opinions will vary on this, but I keep mine at 50 psi cold.  I have found, in my personal experience, that the tires seem to wear better at the sidewall max.

Generally, I have found that it is recommended to set it at the maximum noted on the tire sidewall for a travel trailer.  You can go lower (between 45-49) for a softer ride.  However, I would not personally recommend it, because you will reduce your cargo carrying ("payload") capacity to a certain extent, plus the tire will probably run hotter than it would if inflated to the max psi stated on the sidewall.

Here's what Goodyear Tire says:

“Unless trying to resolve poor ride quality problems with an RV trailer, it is recommended that trailer tires be inflated to the pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Trailer tires experience significant lateral (side-to-side) loads due to vehicle sway from uneven roads or passing vehicles. Using the inflation pressure engraved on the sidewall will provide optimum load-carrying capacity and minimize heat buildup.”

And here's some info from etrailer.com:

https://www.etrailer.com/question-166947.html
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    Lauinger said:
    Sidewall says max of 50 psi. Can they run at 44-46 ok?

As @Denny16 noted the trailer has a Tire Size Pressure sticker on it that recommends 50 PSI and your tire sidewall has something like Max Load at 50 PSI.  Lots of T@B Owners do run at lower tire air pressure.
    The goal being to provide a slightly softer ride {for your stuff in T@B ;)}.

When tire pressure is below 50 PSI then tire load capacity is below its maximum rating.  T@B 320 S axle is rated at 2,900 pounds {Gross Trailer Weight is 2,800 pounds on mine}.  So at 2,900 pounds each tire must carry at least 1,450 pounds . . . and of course for safety one whats the tire to be able to carry more then just half the axle rating.  This table shows how Tire Load Capacity changes with air pressure.
    Standard T@B 320S has 205/75R14 tires.  So even at 45 PSI the load capacity is ~200 pounds above the minimum needed.  I generally run 48 PSI . . . as I'm not as comfort with 45 PSI safety margin.

There are several informative articles (by tire experts) on the web covering Tire Load vs. Air Pressure.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Goodyear Marathon tires. Approximately 15,000 miles even tire wear At 45psi. Higher tire pressure caused center tread wear. Lower pressure caused outer edge tire wear. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun