Options

Winterizing question

SydSyd Member Posts: 47
I know there are two tried and true methods for winterizing - adding antifreeze or blowing out the lines. However, I was thinking (always a dangerous thing) that there might be a third way.

Would it be a good idea to simply open the low point drains, and leave them open for a week or two (or all winter) in order for the system to dry out? Or would there still be water in the system that could freeze and damage the lines?

I have no problem doing the antifreeze bit, but just (dangerously) thought this might work.

Thanks.
Hopper - 2019 T@B 400
Donald S. Cherry - 2016 Kia Sorento V6 (3.3L)
Where we call home - Our House, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth, SOL, Milky Way, Universe
GO FLAMES GO!

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    There are many elbows and turns that will not drain without using a bit of force, in this case, forced air. Look around the Alde and you’ll see plenty of elbows and pipes flexing to go over or under another pipe. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @Verna - I had not thought of that. Did I mention dangerous?? =)

Also, I absolutely LOVE this forum. I knew someone would start the helpful comments right away. 
    Hopper - 2019 T@B 400
    Where we call home - Our House, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth, SOL, Milky Way, Universe
    GO FLAMES GO!
  • Options
    We’re always on the lookout to help. The last thing we want is for someone to incur damages due to “thinking outside the box”.😉
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    Unless you blow out the lines, you may have pooling of water.  I doubt that just draining everything really dries out the lines.  Blowing out the lines (Including the toilet and outside shower) should get the system dry enough to prevent plumbing leaks due to expansion.  If you doubt that your lines are dry enough, then just use antifreeze after you drain and bypass the Alde.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM - I figured as much. I will definitely use antifreeze.

@Verna - Wait...there's a box?? B)
    Hopper - 2019 T@B 400
    GO FLAMES GO!
  • Options
    TresK3TresK3 Member Posts: 65
    I thought buying a tear drop WAS thinking outside the box (trailer). :)
    2019 Tab 400 Boondock Lite
    2017 Dodge Durango AWD with Tow Package IV
    A can of Skyline Chili in the pantry
  • Options
    KCodeKCode Member Posts: 22
    Newbie question related to the winterization process: why is it necessary to bypass the Alde system when blowing out the lines and adding antifreeze? Getting ready to close up the camping season soon!
    2021 T@B 320S
    2011 Honda Odyssey/Dave and Karin
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    edited September 2020
    @KCode, that question has never been clearly answered. The antifreeze shouldn't hurt the stainless steel HW tank itself. It has been suggested that using the Alde for cabin heat when the HW tank is full of antifreeze may heat the antifreeze and cause problems such as fumes or degradation (depending on the type of antifreeze). Otherwise, it's also a waste of antifreeze since even if a few drops of water that may linger in that three gallon tank it won't damage anything if it freezes.

The bypass is more important for sanitizing. Bleach can damage stainless steel, so it is better to keep it out of the HW tank. It is generally not advised to drink from a HW tank anyway, so there is no real need to sanitize it.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    FinchyFinchy Member Posts: 38
    @Syd, it doesn't take that long once you get the hang of it. Even after you blow out the lines it is important to get the antifreeze in the bottom of the tanks that can easily keep some pooled up water. i.e. The freshwater tank never completely empties.
    2019 Tacoma Off Road
    2014 T@B S Wet Bath Max Plus

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).
    -Mark Twain

• Options
    As Sharon_is_SAM implied above, it isn't necessary for your lines and tanks to be absolutely bone dry. Damage occurs when freezing water expands in a completely confined space (like a full water line).

A few drops in an otherwise empty space will have room to expand and shouldn't exert any force on the components themselves.  
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @ScottG, don't you feel it is important to have antifreeze in the clean water reservoir as the water collects where the drainage outlet is and can easily freeze and crack the component. $5 worth of antifreeze will save you a whole lot of headache.
    2019 Tacoma Off Road

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).
    -Mark Twain

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @Finchy You can just leave that drain valve open...
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    @DougH, I'm not trying to be a contrarian. I just read stories about the area around the drain valve cracking. You can't get all of the water out in my model by leaving the drain valve open. I figure I have to clean the tank out thoroughly in the Spring, why not just dump a cup or two of RV antifreeze down there. :)
    2019 Tacoma Off Road

-Mark Twain

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @Finchy Good point. You'll just have to rinse it out several times in the spring.  Although once you commit to putting the pink stuff in the fresh tank, you're half way down the road to doing a traditional winterization instead of blowout method.

And aren't most on this forum contrarian?    =)
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    Finchy said:
    @ScottG, don't you feel it is important to have antifreeze in the clean water reservoir as the water collects where the drainage outlet is and can easily freeze and crack the component. $5 worth of antifreeze will save you a whole lot of headache.
    That certainly is possible if the tank is not thoroughly drained. If I was really concerned I would just leave the drain open as DougH suggested.

I've gone five winters without ever putting antifreeze into my FW tank. Not saying there is anything wrong in doing so if it makes you more comfortable. After all, you will (or should) sanitize and flush the tank in the spring anyway so it really doesn't create any extra work.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Well, maybe I won't bother this year. I only do it as someone with the same model talked about the cracking issue around the drain hole on the forum a few years ago - it worried me. Like I said, the tank does not drain all the way, even with the valve open.
    2019 Tacoma Off Road

-Mark Twain

• Options
    @Finchy, one owner did use a spray bottle with RV Antifreeze in it to spray each of the exit gates to keep them from freezing. If you are worried, after a weather change, go out and spray and move each exit valve. The antifreeze will be fresher and your mind will be at ease. 

Actually, I think I’ve only read about two frozen shut then broken gray tank exit valves. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Yes, it's worth emphasizing that the gate valves on the grey and black tanks are a different story. There are crevasses in there that can trap water (even when fully drained) and potentially cause expansion damage.

Since I do fill my traps with antifreeze (definately recommended) it's a simple matter to run a little over the gate valves before buttoning everything up for good. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    Numerous people have reported broken toilette water flush valves over the years, from freezing, requiring stool removal to get to the valve for replacement. FYI Some people have added an inline shutoff valve on the toilette inlet hose and disconnect the hose from the inline valve to let all the water drain away from the flush valve, after blowing out the lines.
    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    I sanitized my water lines again a few weeks ago.  I'm always surprised how water will just hang inside the lines even with every drain open.  Lower the tongue, raise the tongue, tilt it to the passenger side.  Every movement brought out more water.  Or, just opening a faucet.  It released even more water because the pressure of the closed faucet held in the water.  Just like holding your finger over a straw full of liquid.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi