Options

Starting to get scared

2»

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    DanManz said:
    The closest thing to a repair I've had was to "mouse proof" the trailer.  We found a couple of mice in the trailer last year and since then I've chipped away at sealing every crack, hole and seam that might possibly let a mouse in. 
    @DanManz, I'm curious where you found mouse passages in your 400. I live in mouse land and this was one of the first concerns I raised when I joined the forum. Nobody had a real definitive answer (nor were there any reports of T@B infestations) so I set about exploring every hidden inch of the T@B's shell and was pleased that I couldn't locate a single potential point of entry. 

The only potential mouse house on mine would be up inside the plastic exterior trim, but even then there would be no way to get inside the camper itself. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ScottG, on my former 2019 400, there is a lot of room around the incoming water lines that need more intrusion-proof material (I use copper scrubbies). Near there, there is a a “Thru-way” that goes from under the closet, under the floor to the fridge side of the camper. That, I think is how the mice get from one side of the 400 to the other. 

I only experienced mice intrusion once, never saw them, but it may have come in during camping in free camping in Forest Services Areas in Washington and Oregon last summer (2019). I keep all food well enclosed in hard plastic containers....except for 4 packets of Parm cheese from a pizza take out. They devoured them and then disappeared. Obviously, they didn’t stay long. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    JamesJames Member Posts: 32
    edited September 2020
    webers3 said:
    @James I am considering switching from a trailer to a camper van, I am curious to know why you are going from a camper van to a trailer?
    For me, it came down to confidence. Our 04 Roadtrek ran beautifully, but when something went wrong mechanically, it created a series of challenges. 

A regular truck or SUV can be brought in anywhere for repair. A motorhome, even a Class B, is much more problematic. Once we had to replace a fuel pressure sensor (part costs less than $50) and had to find a heavy truck (commercial) shop in order to get the rig up on a lift to drop the gas tank for repair. The cosmetic skirts and overall height made it impossible to do "under the camper" work at any local car repair shop.  Routine maintenance on the engine was easy enough, anything else became a frustrating drill because most shops will just say "nope."

What we loved about the Roadtrek was the ease of getting into camping spots and setting up. I miss it already and I'm nervous about trailering logistics.  Plus with the Roadtrek we loved the style of living, especially in inclement weather.  It was super cozy.

I'm 70 and finally decided that I wasn't willing to take the risks of mechanical problems in remote parts of the country.  My personal disposition is to be a worrier in general (probably shouldn't be camping) and I was getting really gun shy about hitting the road. I hope to have a different (less stressful) experience with the TAB 400, but time will tell. 

Hope this helps.  

PS  We were looking closely at a Zion earlier this year. Got into one and hung out for a bit ... ended up feeling it wasn't as well made as we'd like. The 400 is in a whole different league in terms of fit and finish. 

2021 TAB 400 BDL 
    No towing vehicle currently owned, looking at F150
    Chapel Hill, North Carolina

• Options
    Rodent77Rodent77 Member Posts: 79
    @ScottG I have a cabin in the woods and I orders this stuff to help block mouse holes... https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07FCB8WPH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2021 T@B320 S - 2013 Ridgeline - Ont. Can

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! What A RIDE!!”  Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    Yeah, that's good stuff, @Rodent77--I got a roll myself and usually jam some in the open ends of the trim before putting the T@B up for the winter.

I bought it several years ago when I was trying to exclude mice from my house. What a puzzle that was--I'll bet your cabin in the woods provides hours of entertainment trying to find all those holes!  ;-)

@Verna, interesting that there were mouse portals in your 400. I was really impressed at how well sealed my 320 was, given how small a space a mouse can squeeze into. (Wish I could say the same for my house!) 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    DanManzDanManz Member Posts: 80
    @ScottG Check out this Mandy Lea video.  https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mandy+lea+tab+400&docid=608055962120685561&mid=86B1236F9A0ED524B13286B1236F9A0ED524B132&view=detail&FORM=VIRE  There are lots of little openings and cracks for them to enter.  The biggest ones are probably the vent openings on the frame itself.  I was out lubricating my stabilizers yesterday and found one more- the bottom vent into the battery compartment which on my 2019 400 is down behind the right tire.  My conclusion is a mouse can easily fit through anything larger than about 1/4" X 1/4".  I've used marine caulk to seal the joint of the plastic belly pan where it overlaps onto the Azdel.  I sealed up all the drain openings in my Alde plumbing compartment.  I spray foamed around all the openings (plumbing and wiring) from the underbed compartment into the area behind all the drawers.  I keep looking all the time and will probably find more in the future but for now I seem to be holding them at bay!
    Dan and Liz    2019 TAB 400 BDL    2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD TRD Sport
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    We have had no issues with mice in the our TaB400.  Dust, yes, but no holes big enough fir a mouse to get into the cabin.  The space between the frames is open on both sides between the tanks, but does not appear to have any access into the cabin.  That said, would not hurt  to close off the cutouts in the frame sides.

We have mice issues is our outbuildings, but we keep our living spaces mice free so far...
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    As a fellow newbie @James, it is reassuring to see so many positive experiences. We got our 2019 T@B BDL from its original owner, a Marine. Always a good idea to deal with a military fellow as this one kept impeccable records and even did inspections outside inside and below with each trip. He got unexpected orders and needed to sell, and I could tell he was sad to see the 400 go. He had owned it about one year and had two very minor issues, both resolved by him. I have taken the 400 now on 6 trips, and had zero issues except for a bath fan switch that is a little sticky. It tows well with my truck, and we have found it very comfortable. All the other issues I actually discovered by reading thru the forum, and that led me to get a free radio replacement from ASA electronics and a replacement front window under warranty from Nucamp even though I was second owner. Could not be happier with this trailer. The forum is a great resource from the Unofficial Guide to all the info on wheel bearing service.

I trust you will have a similar experience, but it is good to know that if an issue crops up, there are folks here willing to help, from other owners all the way to NuCamp.

Happy Camping!

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    qhumberd said:
    As a fellow newbie @James, it is reassuring to see so many positive experiences. We got our 2019 T@B BDL from its original owner, a Marine. Always a good idea to deal with a military fellow as this one kept impeccable records and even did inspections outside inside and below with each trip. He got unexpected orders and needed to sell, and I could tell he was sad to see the 400 go. He had owned it about one year and had two very minor issues, both resolved by him. I have taken the 400 now on 6 trips, and had zero issues except for a bath fan switch that is a little sticky. It tows well with my truck, and we have found it very comfortable. All the other issues I actually discovered by reading thru the forum, and that led me to get a free radio replacement from ASA electronics and a replacement front window under warranty from Nucamp even though I was second owner. Could not be happier with this trailer. The forum is a great resource from the Unofficial Guide to all the info on wheel bearing service.

I trust you will have a similar experience, but it is good to know that if an issue crops up, there are folks here willing to help, from other owners all the way to NuCamp.

Happy Camping!
    Thanks. I was stationed at Camp Lejeune for three years as a Navy Officer. I know me some Marines!
    2021 TAB 400 BDL 

• Options
    mrdeepfryguymrdeepfryguy Member Posts: 73
    @James. You mentioned water was a big worry. The Nautilus system has been really easy for us (this is our first camper). Tested the systems and learned how things worked in baby steps. First tried using “city water” setting while driveway camping. Second time tried “dry camping” and everything in the manual  and that I had seen online helped us to fill and use the water tank. Third time I filled our water tank from 3 gallon bucket and a short hose, to make sure I knew how to replenish water at a campsite without water hookup. Cassette toilet is simple to use, as is the grey tank dumping.

Main issue I had was a rookie mistake with the Alde system. Didn’t know about the hot water tank bypass valve on the left inside wall of the Nautilus system. It was on “bypass”, not “normal” mode. Not hot water . Drove me nuts for a few long hours, then figured it out. Lots of posts and threads about this, but try to get the dealer to go over this system in detail during your orientation. Take pictures or videos if you need to. Picked up our 320S Boondock on a busy day when the dealer was prepping at least 6 trailers for pickup. Also when things were just opening up in Ohio from the covid stay-at-Home orders in the spring. Our family is very covid cautious because of existing health conditions, and the dealer orientation was very stressful and not that thorough. I think we were probably more at fault for rushing than the dealer.

A lot to learn, but has been worth it. Just take some driveway time to learn each system. 

i also did not get on this forum until after we bought, so you are getting a good head start. Did watch videos from Princess Craft (technician review) and the Air Force Guy from Buckley’s which were great primers.

Enjoy your 400 ... and have some great adventures in 2021 !
    2021 320 S Boondock / 2018 Toyota 4Runner / NE Ohio
  • Options
    @James. You mentioned water was a big worry. The Nautilus system has been really easy for us (this is our first camper). Tested the systems and learned how things worked in baby steps. First tried using “city water” setting while driveway camping. Second time tried “dry camping” and everything in the manual  and that I had seen online helped us to fill and use the water tank. Third time I filled our water tank from 3 gallon bucket and a short hose, to make sure I knew how to replenish water at a campsite without water hookup. Cassette toilet is simple to use, as is the grey tank dumping.

Main issue I had was a rookie mistake with the Alde system. Didn’t know about the hot water tank bypass valve on the left inside wall of the Nautilus system. It was on “bypass”, not “normal” mode. Not hot water . Drove me nuts for a few long hours, then figured it out. Lots of posts and threads about this, but try to get the dealer to go over this system in detail during your orientation. Take pictures or videos if you need to. Picked up our 320S Boondock on a busy day when the dealer was prepping at least 6 trailers for pickup. Also when things were just opening up in Ohio from the covid stay-at-Home orders in the spring. Our family is very covid cautious because of existing health conditions, and the dealer orientation was very stressful and not that thorough. I think we were probably more at fault for rushing than the dealer.

A lot to learn, but has been worth it. Just take some driveway time to learn each system. 

i also did not get on this forum until after we bought, so you are getting a good head start. Did watch videos from Princess Craft (technician review) and the Air Force Guy from Buckley’s which were great primers.

Enjoy your 400 ... and have some great adventures in 2021 !
    Great advice!  Thank you ... will take it all to heart.

2021 TAB 400 BDL 

• Options
    SamrollseyesSamrollseyes Member Posts: 29
    James, Welcome! I have a 2018 320S and am just finishing up my 3 rd year with it (to me it's a 3 season trailer and winter is coming fast to Idaho 😭😭😭). Truly my biggest problem was the lack of dealers and/or service in my area. I traveled 200 miles to the closest dealer to buy my trailer. But, hallelujah, a dealer just opened up in town this summer. My little T@B got its first yearly maintenance only 2 years late🤭. I had developed a small leak near the Fantastic Fan that was quickly caulkedup, installed a Laguna table bracket on the outside of the trailer for me, packed the wheel bearings, and checked the glycol. Other than those minor things, it was in good health. Just breathe and know it will be ok. And what's not ok can be fixed. 
  • Options
    kayaqerkayaqer Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2021 320 Boondock and have towed it a couple of hundred miles (not much by some other people’s standards). Planning to take on a trip that will be around 2500 miles. I’m towing it with a 2018 Nissan Pathfinder (3.6L, 4WD, etc) that came with a towing package and is rated at 6000 lb.  Tows like a dream and the gas mileage is not unreasonable (@18 mpg).  I would recommend getting the electric brake option - it is a brake pad saver and makes handling the camper down steep grades easier.  I am impressed so far!
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Electric brake control in the TV for a TaB is required in many states.  So setting up a brake controller is not optional, it is also the safest way to tow a trailer like a TaB.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.