Options

2018 T@B320S Boondock Newbie - Volvo XC60 - sway bars?

PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
Greetings -- I am new to T@B Forum.  Just purchased a used 2018 T@B 320 S Boondock which I am planning to tow with my 2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD.  I have so many questions!  My first question is regarding the weight distributing hitch and sway bars the seller included with the trailer.  Where is the best place in the forum to discuss this?  Thanks.
2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
"Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Using the forum search box, do a search for sway bars and then one for weight distribution.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thanks, Sharon.  Is it best to add to an existing discussion or start a new one?

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    edited September 2020
    I think you will find multiple discussions regarding WDH and sway bars - neither of which is typically suggested with an appropriate tow vehicle.  You can also search for a thread for Volvo XC60 and see if anyone else is using that to tow.  Add to an existing discussion or if you can’t find one, start a new one.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I think you will find multiple discussions regarding WDH and sway bars - neither of which is typically suggested with an appropriate tow vehicle.  You can also search for a thread for Volvo XC60 and see if anyone else is using that to tow.  Add to an existing discussion or if you can’t find one, start a new one.
    Thanks again, appreciate the patient welcome for the newbie  :)

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited September 2020
    I’ll add that a WDH is not recommended for use with a 320, and only certain kinds can be used with a 400. 

A sway bar that is independent of a WDH is more a matter of opinion; in most cases, it isn’t necessary, but even some of our best known owners do use them with what would normally be considered an ideal tow vehicle.

And I can’t emphasize this enough, start by checking your Volvo’s owner’s manual. Many SUVs are not rated for use with these devices. I don’t know whether or not the Volvo is in that category.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    VictoriaP said:
    I’ll add that a WDH is not recommended for use with a 320, and only certain kinds can be used with a 400. 

A sway bar that is independent of a WDH is more a matter of opinion; in most cases, it isn’t necessary, but even some of our best known owners do use them with what would normally be considered an ideal tow vehicle.

And I can’t emphasize this enough, start by checking your Volvo’s owner’s manual. Many SUVs are not rated for use with these devices. I don’t know whether or not the Volvo is in that category.
    Thanks, VictoriaP.  The seller included the WDH and bars and seemed pretty emphatic about using them.  My car's manual does not discuss using them or not, but does say the car has Trailer Stability Assist.  Taking it to the dealership for the wiring on Tuesday, I will ask them if they have further information.  

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    The seller may have been told by their dealer that they were required—sadly, most dealers will say anything to add onto a sale.

If the Volvo has its own electronic sway control, as it appears to, additional physical sway bars are unnecessary.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW