Options

Mobile Hotspots

WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
edited May 2014 in Tips & Tricks
I've been reading about the concept of using a smartphone as a mobile hotspot that you can also link up your computer to. I would like to be able to do this so I can use my computer when I'm camping, and as well when I'm home, and quit paying for the Internet. Does this make sense? Do you think it will work? I hate paying for the Internet twice, and this is what has been keeping me from getting a smartphone. However, as Verna pointed out, I would be able to download campground-finder apps which would help. I'm not technologically gifted, but I can learn. Suggestions? :-? Beth, 2013 Subaru Forester, 2014 T@B S M@xx
Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)

Comments

• Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    My wife and I traveled from Michigan to Alaska and back last summer (13,000 miles) and would have been lost without our mobile hotspots which are part of our iPhone package. We often used them for all sorts of information and could run our laptops from the phones as well since we had subscribed to a data plan in addition to talk and text features. There were times when we did not have coverage (Verizon Wireless is our carrier) but that is to be expected on the Alaska Highway. Wherever we could obtain a cellphone signal, we were "good to go" with an internet connection. For us, it met our needs.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    Tabalong -- How much data did you buy? I have Verizon Wireless, too, and I'm trying to figure out how much to expect to pay for the services you described. Do you also have a separate Internet connection when you are at home?

Thanks for your help.
    Beth, 2013 Subaru Forester, 2014 T@B S M@xx
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    We used to use 8GB per month which sounds like a lot, but that was our only internet connection at home until DSL came along a few months ago. I think 3-4 GB's would be plenty per month if you are primarily using it as a mobile hotspot while traveling. Remember, many campgrounds have wireless so you don't have to use your own data plan. If you find that's too much data, you can always reduce or add more.

Norm, 2012 Subaru Forester, 2014 T@B S M@xx
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    scubascuba Member Posts: 87
    T@Balong,

I've had a separate hotspot for my internet service at home. It has worked well for me. 5G a month was $50. I am getting ready to switch to using my SP as a hotspot. Downside is that phone is not usable during hotspot mode. I, too, am with Verizon. I'm lucky in the sense that I still have unlimited data.
    Life is good! Great in a T@B!
    2014 CS-S Maxx
  • Options
    That's all good to know. I will probably do this in the near future, too.
    Thanks! ;)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I recently lost Internet and cable for a day. I decided to test it to see if I could get away with a mobile hotspot for working remotely and found I burned through data far too quickly. I think if you are not moving large file, streaming video, or uploading very high resolution photos it would work just fine.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Sounds like that could get expensive.....  Yikes!
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options

I'm hoping I can make this scenario work for me next year when I "dump" cable.  I do not stream video or upload large picture files, etc.  I just want the mobile hotspot for surfing the Internet and checking e-mail.  A guy in our office checked out his capability (4 G) today and he was able to connect his mobile hotspot on his computer and also make a call on his iPhone at the same time, which is a concern for me.  I'm not "techy" at all, so this is all new to me.  I'm hoping that by the time my Comcast contract is up in January, that the technology will be there.  Keep me posted! 

:-B
  • Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    I purchased a Verizon Ellipsis Jetpack 4G in April and it works very well, as long as you have Verizon data coverage in the area.  It's very cheap with a 2 year contract.  It supports up to 8 wireless devices - iPad, tablet, computer, etc.
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/mobile-hotspot/ellipsis-jetpack-mhs700l?&zipRdr=y
    You could start with a 2 GB plan (Verizon discontinued unlimited data plans) and monitor usage.  You can see your data usage on the Ellipsis Jetpack, so you can get an idea of how much certain activities are using.  You can also set up alerts on the Verizon internet site to help you from overrunning the data limit.  I agree with other posts that, if you aren't streaming movies, music, or gaming, usage won't be cost prohibitive.  I also have an iPhone, but didn't want the battery drain and other limitations. 
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the information and the link!!  I will be making this switch over in the next 6 months, so I need to get serious about learning how this works.  Can you use the Jetpack when you are at home in lieu of an ISP, or do you just use it when you are on the road?  I'm not very tech savvy and appreciate all the help.  :-/
  • Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    edited July 2014

Yes, you can use the Jetpack in your home, if you do not have a land based internet connection - ISP.  However, you will want to ensure your signal is strong enough in the home wherever your equipment will be.  As an example, stucco homes some times interfere with data signal strength from the wireless carriers.  If you already have an iPhone, you could enable the hot spot and data connection on your Verizon account to test it before adding a Jetpack. Verizon does charge to add the Jetpack device, so there are some startup costs.  I am happy to answer any questions you or anyone has, either in this thread or private messages.  I have worked in information technology in various industries since the late 1980s.  I have a decent grasp of technology or at least know how to find out about it.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    deputydogdeputydog Member Posts: 103
    I recently camped for three days. Used Hot spot about 3hrs a day.    Used about 0.2 over 3days. Just internet stuff.  No video streaming as Verizon person stated 1hr of video, tv etc uses about 1gb per hour.  I have monthly charge for 3gbs.  I will be dropping down to save money, even by using hot spot recently 3gbs is not needed for me.

TV is a 2007 Jeep Liberty. Own 2015 T@B Maxx s/wet-bath white green. St. Clair Shores, MI.

• Options
    Okay.  Good to know, DeputyDog.  I am still trying to learn about all this techy stuff and I appreciate the insight.  Keep us posted.  BTW, is an air card needed if you have a Jet Pack???  I'm still a little confused about what does what.  I will be getting a smart phone, and I am starting from a non-smart knowledge base. :-/
  • Options

I have been researching, again (now, more seriously!) the smart phone/hot spot issue. I am wondering if the Verizon JetPack will use up my data from my wireless plan, or is it a stand-alone way to connect my laptop to the Internet?  To state it in another way, if I "WiFi" enable my smart phone and connect to my laptop, I realize that I use up data.  If I use the JetPack, will it use that same data?  I'm trying to figure out whether or not I need a JetPack.  Can you stream videos using the JetPack without using data?  Does the JetPack have it's own data allowance?  What would be the advantage of having a JetPack vs. just using your smart phone as a hot spot?

Thanks,

Call Me Befuddled

8-}
  • Options

Beth, this is a very confusing topic, partly because the carriers constantly change the names and plans. The Jetpack is a device - you would need a data plan to utilize it for Internet. If you have a Verizon account already, they will probably encourage you to use a "Share Everything Plan." Streaming movies on a data plan is the fattest way to utilize your allotment. You would be better off to download for off line viewing before you go.

I am re-examine the prices of the plans since they have dropped and installed an app to monitor how much data I ma using for work to see if it is realistic. I think if I wanted to use wireless data more than I am now, I would probably go ahead and get a Jetpack because, from what I understand, you get a better data signal strength than you do a phone. You should be able to download an app to monitor your data use and so you could try just using your phone and if you wanted something better, you could get a Jetpack or MiFi device.

The prices have dropped enough to make this a real possibility now.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Thanks, Jenn!!!  Feeling a little more knowledgeable, now. :)>-
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

I did check with AT&T about their Hot Spot (I don't know the name of the unit).  If you buy the unit for $99 + tax, you can have AT&T turn the device on and off in increments of one month, as needed, paying the monthly charge only when in service.  I currently don't need one all of the time since I use my grandfathered unlimited iPhone data package.  But, on an extended camping trip, such as the 30 day camping trip from this summer, it would be nice to be able to use my laptop with it's own hot spot.  I'll probably get one before I do my extended snowbirding camping trip this winter.

(I am not allowed to use my iPhone as a tethering device because of the grandfathered unlimited data, and I'm not taking a chance on losing that feature.) 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I bought an iPad with cell capabilities and use that as my connection and hotspot. It has a seperate data plan from my iPhone (I keep that at the minimum 2gigs). I can manage the data plan through the Verizon website and raise/lower the allotment as needed month/month (or even mid-month and have it prorated). My highest month was 10gigs. The reason I use the iPad vs iPhone is that it was cheaper and a more flexible plan than was available on the phone - for instance, no extra monthly charge for teathering. Been doing that for almost two years. Am going to check out the various independent operators that buy bulk data from Verizon and offer a MiFi type service cheaper than the carriers. From my bookmarks... http://www.rvmobileinternet.com http://snowmads.com/how-we-stay-connected-on-the-road/ http://www.gonewiththewynns.com/mobile-internet
  • Options
    deputydogdeputydog Member Posts: 103
     Also the company providing your smart phone and service will explain the use of the Hotspot.  Its probabaly included in phones plane and only has to be turned on by provider.  Your computer will then get wi-fi thru smartphone hot spot when turned on.

TV is a 2007 Jeep Liberty. Own 2015 T@B Maxx s/wet-bath white green. St. Clair Shores, MI.

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

I have an app that allows me to compare services, keep up with data usage, check maps of service areas, whether any networks are close by, etc.  It is called OpenSignal (opensignal.com).  App is available for iPhone or Android. 

Not directly related to the topic, but it is a neat app.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Thanks, Larry.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jayjay Member Posts: 14

Here's another option kind of like the Jetpack or the Mifi, but without the contract.  The device is on sale for $99 for the next week and then it appears to go up to $150.  You only pay for the data you use, and the data never expires so if you don't use it much, you don't get charged.  $15 per Gig so it seems like roughly what you would pay through your mobile phone data plan (at least that equals what Verizon charges me if I go over my data plan).

This new faster version doesn't come out until December (article says they are late by a number of months) but you can pre-order it now if you can wait a couple of months for your solution.

My buddy has the current 3G version and loves it, and this one is going to be 4G LTE and the coverage map looks pretty impressive for where I camp (the Ohio areas I looked at closely).  However, it looks only decent in the midwest and east coast but look really bleak out west, so be sure to check out the coverage map before you pre-order obviously and see if your main camping areas look like they have coverage.

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Jay - This device looks intriguing and although the coverage looks spotty in some places in the west (right now), AZ, CA all looking pretty good. I may look more into this --- it'd sure be nice to find something other than from the big businesses --- let's hope the coverage areas expand. Thanks for posting this alternative.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    An interesting development from Apple - The latest iPads (iPad-Air2  with cell capabilities) they introduced this week and go on sale shortly have a custom designed SIM card that works on AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile - Verizon is the only hold out at the moment - You can choose any one of the three and switch at any time. The iPad has a menu and you just choose which has the best price that day/week/month.
    The carrier becomes a dumb pipe.

Now, if you want Verizon coverage you need to buy the model that contains a Verizon SIM - But it's rumored that Apple will then sell you a universal SIM for less than $10 so you can still swap the SIMs in and out depending on the best rate.
  • Options
    Data usage - As others have mentioned, streaming video really uses up the bandwidth. What I do is when I have a WiFi connection I load up my iPad with a ton of Podcasts and any other media I want. Right now I have at least a weeks worth of media ready to go. I figure as I travel I'll just have to plan on hitting a coffee shop or library once a week to load up. Tip: Most churches have wifi (at least that's what I've found) - Pull to the curb and suck a little of gods data stream :-)

Like Jenn, my work has always involved really large files but I've found I don't have to transmit or receive those every day. If I plan my work right my once a week (twice at most) hit on a WiFi connection allows me to work from anywhere. 

Now, if you're one of those that has everything in "the cloud" (Google Docs, etc) it's hard to work as frugally because you have nothing without a net connection. I don't do the cloud, it just doesn't work for when I'm cell connected only. 
  • Options

I wish I had the luxury of only downloading stuff a couple times of week, but I don't However, what is helpful is that our workplace has started using the cloud more (behind the firewall.) and that means less of emails getting forwarded with large attachments and I can, at times, delay a download.

For my personal stuff and photography, I use a Windows 8.1 Surface Pro 2. Windows 8 introduced the ability to designate a connection as a metered connection and to choose to minimize what is automatically downloaded while using that connection (updates, app updates, etc..) This is a great tool for travelers.

I use online resources to search for signal strength ahead of time and to try to identify nearby WiFi hotspots ahead of time. Sometimes I am able to find threads on Trip Advisor that give me an indication of Internet options and cellular connectivity strength.

I just checked the Verizon Share Everything plan and I can get 40 GB per month at $150 (minus my 20% discount.) Like I said, I am going to monitor my work data usage for a few months to see how it goes, but I think 40 will be enough (so far, have used a little over 6GB in 10 days.) At first I thought I might be able to pick campgrounds that have WiFI but have learned that the connections are completely unreliable and you really cannot know until you arrive at your site and give it a whirl. I did by one of those WiFi network range extenders and it helps with weak signals, but cannot improve a slow connection.

I have read the mobile boosters are really valuable and that might be on my short list of things to get.

• Options
    Jenn - Didn't mean to imply you were doing it wrong. Was just relating my case. Every persons needs are unique.

Agree with you that camp wifi is spotty at best. Stayed in one last night and could get more than one-bar wifi, switched back to cell. Now today I'm set up in the parking lot of a railroad museum to do a little shooting and even though it's closed for the season the wifi is still on and strong - Never know where you're going to find a strong connection.

Since I have a connection I'm loading up the iPad with more podcasts/media/RSSfeeds - Will probably have a couple of weeks worth.
  • Options
    When those of you with iPads say you're loading up with media - are you renting and then downloading from iTunes? If so, is there a restriction of what you can download. I ask because I have a Kindle (and Prime) and I'm only allowed 8 downloaded videos at a time. I really like the Kindle and what's available on Prime but much of it has to be streamed - that won't work when I hit the road. However in iTunes, one has to purchase everything. Just curious as to the video capacity --- thanks.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    iPads - I rarely rent or do Netflix. Once in a great while I may get a movie. I do podcasts and have a bunch of RSS feeds. A lot of people don't know about either even though they've been around for 10+ years.

RSS stands for "Real Simple Syndication" and allows you to subscribe to the a feed of almost any newspaper or blogs articles. Think of it as your own personal United Press International or Associated Press like the newspapers and Radio/TV stations have used for years. Once subscribed, all that sites articles come to you automatically and usually free. I won't go into how you find the RSS links or how you subscribe because it depends on if you're Windows/Mac and what RSS reader you use. There's tons of info on the web that can guide you since RSS has been around for over ten years. Here's what I use...On my Mac it's an app called "Vienna" (I have about 200 feeds on various topics that come into Vienna every day automatically) On my iPad/iPhone I use an app called "Reeder". I have a different set of topics/feeds for mobile but they could be the same.

Podcasts - They are basically audio or visual (multimedia) RSS feeds. They work the same way, you find a multimedia feed and subscribe - Think of these subscriptions as building your own set of radio or TV shows that come to you automatically and can be watch at your leasure. All the PBS programs for instance have RSS/Podcast feeds as well as other networks and tens of thousands of independent shows on almost any topic or interest. I don't do Podcasts on my Mac, keep it all on my iPad. I use an app called "Pocket Casts". If one clicks the + button you can either enter a Podcast name or it will show you those featured. Or you can click the buttons at the bottom for other listings.

Mickietucs - Podcasts get downloaded to the iPad. Movies through iTunes can be downloaded for later viewing. If you want to watch immediately it will stream. Netflix is always streamed.
    So, with podcasts and RSS feeds you can load them up while you have a connection and read/watch on your schedule. iTunes rentals need a connection at the time you want to watch the movie but it's just to verify your account. Once the movie starts playing you can cut the connection as far as I know so it wouldn't use much cell data just to do that. Just make sure it's downloaded though. You can set up the iPad so it won't download anything unless you have WiFi and then it will do download the feeds when it senses you do.

Hope that explains somewhat :-)
  • Options
    PXlated - thanks. I actually have an iTunes account that I mostly use to get music to my iTouch. Before I got the Kindle I downloaded movies to my computer and then to the iTouch to use while flying. Of course I had to either rent or purchase (mostly I rented). Haven't used that feature much now that I belong to Prime and have the Kindle. Still do get podcasts on the iTouch but haven't looked into RSS feeds but will do so. Would like it if Amazon would increase the limit on downloaded movies so if I'm out for a long time in one spot without internet service I could watch a movie when I feel like it and I wouldn't have to carry DVDs around. Same with books - although I always like the feel of a book in my hand, I like that I can download books to the Kindle. These features are nice when storage will be an issue.