Options

Solar panel specs on 2021 Tab 400

rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
What is the wattage on the 2021 Tab 400 roof Solar Panel? I have seen everywhere from 105 to 190 watts. Does anyone know for sure? 
2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO

Comments

• Options
    *bump* on this one in case anyone knows, please.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    edited September 2020
    The pre 2021 400 factory installed flexible panel is 190 watts.  (See Dinger Sept. 29 post for 2021 panel info.)

The 320s as of model year 2021 have a 105 watt panel (previously 130 watts).
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    @Sharon_is_SAM - With the stock Victron MPPT 75/15 solar controller rated at a nominal PV power of 220 watts (at 12 volts) does that only leave 30 watts of add-on solar capacity for that controller? If so, I should go with a solar suitcase or other add-on PV solution with its own controller, right?
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited September 2020
    @rhyno  You can use a suitcase portable panel that has its own controller, or install a second MPPT 15 for your additional 200 watts of solar panels.  That is what I am going to do.  I got two 100 watt portable (non suitcase) PV panels and I plan to get a second MPPT 15 to put between the SAE plug on the side of our TaB400 and the battery.  So one MPPT controls the roof mount PV panels and the second one for the additional portable PV panels.  The portable panels have MC4 p,it’s, so I got two 30- foot MC4 cables and a MC4 to SAE adapter to plug in the TaB.  This will double the solar capacity on the trailer.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @rhyno - yes - no more room with that controller.   The easiest thing to do that gives you the most options is using a solar suitcase.  They come with their own controller which is not close to the battery (not ideal), or you can buy a separate controller and position it close to the battery to reduce voltage loss.  Not sure if you can or should fit more solar on the roof, but if you did you would either need to replace the current controller or wire it to it’s own controller.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @Denny16 - I'm thinking I'll be doing a similar setup with MC4 to SAE adapters and I'll install an SAE port on the RV sidewall since it is much smaller footprint than an MC4 sidewall port would be. I would install the secondary controller close to the battery. Question though - If I have a Victron BMV-712 will I get better system information through that device if I get a second Victron solar controller or would it not matter if I use an off-brand secondary controller?
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM - thank you for the advice. I think I'll be looking at a portable solution to augment the roof solar for days when I'm parked in shade and such vs adding capacity to the roof.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    @rhyno. I am getting a second Victron MPPT, so the two controllers are networked together for maximum utilization.  You can use a non Victron controller, it would work, just like a suitcase setup with its own controller.  But, as long as you are adding the second controller near the battery, might as well get another Victron MPPT15. 

I already have a SSE plug on the Pax side near the cargo door, battery is just inside, so all I need to do is get the Victron MPPT 75/15and cut the wire going from the SAE plug to the battery and wire the MPPT using the factory wire.  I think I will add an inline fuse also.  Victron makes two versions, of the. pPT one with Bluetooth and one without.  You want the Bluetooth model to get the two controllers working together.
    Cheers
  • Options
    @Denny16 - That makes sense. I had been shopping for suitcases with controllers included but if I can get the most bang for my buck feature/monitoring-wise from the BMV-712 by going same brand across the board, then I'll look at getting standalone panels and an additional Victron controller.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    We got two All Powers 100 watt solar panel kits  (each kit has two 50-watt panels in a carry case).  Their price is good also, and they come with various adapters.  We had to order the 30-foot cables from Amazon, along with the SAE adapter, this was the only one not included with the All Powers kit.  We got them through a group funding campaign, and they were an accessory for the portable piwer station, which could be ordered separately.  See ( scroll down, PV panel deal is on right side), and they have a few left at the discount price:  https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/monster-x-the-future-of-portable-power-stations#/
    cheers
  • Options
    DingerDinger Member Posts: 6
    I emailed Nucamp tech support 2 weeks ago. They said this in the 400 BD:
    162W Sunflare (FLEX54-162W)
    === Incoming ===  2021 T@B 400
    2007 Toyota Tacoma V6 Access Cab
    San Francisco, CA
  • Options
    Yes, I have heard that was due to raising up the Stargazer window, reducing the area for the Solar panel.  Late 2018 (after Jan 2018) TaB 400s had a single panel 193 Watt Sunflair Solar panel.  Earlier models of the 400 had a two panel setup, with less wattage.  But even at 162 watts, a 220 watt MPPT controller is only going to have 58 watts available for a a portable PV panel.  A second controller is still needed, unless your portable panel is only 50 watts, then you are good to go.
    Cheers
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I confirmed the same with both nuCamp and Sunflare. I attached the spec sheets for the FLEX60 and FLEX54. I broke out a comparison between what I thought I would be getting (~185W panel) vs the 162W panel that my 2021 Tab 400 will ship with.
    Are these differences as bad as I'm interpreting them to be? Even when comparing between the FLEX54-162W and and FLEX60-165W panel, most of the specs still fall short. Seems that in general, the FLEX54 panel isn't nearly as good at the FLEX60.

BTW - I assume the Wind force difference is not a concern, as surely the FLEX54 isn't at risk of shearing off even if the psf rating is 54% lower than the FLEX60.
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    edited October 2020
    @rhyno
    Two things catch my eye in the chart:
    1 - The Peak Power for the FLEX54 is +5%/-0% where as the FLEX60 is +3/-3%...so any individual FLEX54 could be making more Peak Power than the FLEX60
    2 - Are Avg. Panel Efficiency and Aperture Efficiency the same thing? A very cursory Google search seems to point to Aperture Efficiency as an Antenna thing...
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    I think the only time you are going to have a notable difference in actual use, is when the panel is not in full direct sun, so the smaller PV will have a greater loss in output, line when in partial shade or indirect lighting situations.  My home PV panels, 150 watts each seem to drop power output quicker than the 193 watt on our TaB.

Your only option is to add a second portable PV panel,you can keep in more direct sun to augment the trailer’s solar panel.
    cheers.