Options

Adirondacks in October

ZippyAZippyA Member Posts: 59
I'm headed to the Adirondacks in a few days - my first extended (7 days) trip this year.  Will stop in Lake George and then 3 days in Lake Placid.  My first time in the area in the fall so I hope to see some great foliage.  I do want to get in some good hiking with my dog.  And because of COVID, I will actually be using the toilet (a thought that strikes fear in me)!

Any recommendations/advice/warnings from anyone who's been to that area?  I know it's going to be cold at night!

Aggie/ 2021T@B320S; Alde Compact 3020 HE/ 2021 Subaru Ascent
Rockville, MD (a D.C. suburb)

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,493
    edited October 2020
    No advice on the location, but...no need to fear the blank tank, it’s super easy. Dissolve a scoop of Happy Campers in about a gallon of warm water, dump half down into the empty black tank and half into the grey. Then go camp. Basically turns everything into a fast flowing liquid with no odor. Best product ever, makes dumping so simple.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    In the Lake Placid area there are wonderful hikes.  Mount Jo, Heart Lake and Avalanche Lake/Coldon Lake are wonderful hikes.  You can also get trails into the High Peaks region from there.  If you prefer the road to the top of Whiteface Mountain should be open.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited October 2020
    Check the Lake Placid forecast for temperatures. You might want to winterize your black and gray tank valves with some antifreeze.

Leaves will be beautiful on your drive up, but might be done already up there! Or they might be perfect!

Lake Placid and Saranac Lake area is great for finding trailheads. You might have difficulty finding open campgrounds, dunno. Check online.

Fish Creek Pond / Rollins Pond state campgrounds (same driveway off route 30) are very nice (we did Rollins) spacious sites, right on the lake. Might be closed, dunno.

There's a moderate hike going to the peak of St Regis Mountain overlooking Lake Clear near Saranac. Go though Paul Smith's up Keeses Mill Rd to get to the trailhead. Beautiful view. Here's a Google maps pin for the trailhead:
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/RFdTo7rxK9KqqmLS8

The hike up Blue Mountain (overlooking Blue Mountain Lake, of course!) is nice too, if you're in that area.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @ZippyA take a sweater with you to the loo if you get up in the night...it gets chilly in the wetbath! Safe travels, and I am envious!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    We are in the West Central region right now.  Beautiful colors.  Cool damp rainy days with cold nights forecast for the next week.  Good timing for a classic northeast fall trip.  Have fun!

• Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 345
    Really bad Cell phone reception there.  Bring maps or have navigation system that works without phone reception. Enjoy! 
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited October 2020
    Heh! +1 re cell service!

For hikes you'll want a mapping/gps app that downloads the topo maps before you lose cell service. Many trails are marked and obvious, and many aren't.

I highly recommend Backcountry Navigator.

Make sure you set aside enough time to get back down the mountain! (BTDT!)

Have fun! Jealous.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 345
    ... great trail map comment.   So - plan for navigation contingencies on AND off the road! 
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    edited October 2020
    Sometimes flashbacks are nothing but pleasant! We lived 24 years 40 minutes from the southern border (the "Blue Line") and never missed an annual October trip into the Adirondacks.
    The park is huge, a lot of latitudinal change south to north. Elevation changes in your viewscape are many since most roads are following river valleys and you're looking up and across. So "peak" color is literally all over the map due to the many, many microclimates. The loop described below takes you through the heart of the park. By doing so, you will optimize sections of peak color.
    Since you would be coming from the south, the park loop can be done starting from either east (I-87) or west (Rt. 10). So Lake George stop could be either on way in to Lake Placid or way out.
    This is how it would go if you choose the west side first. Exit I-90 at Rt. 10, Canajoharie/Palatine Bridge. This way into the park takes you through Amish dairy farm country. You can pull off on road shoulder anywhere and stock up on many offerings of "Amish Baked Goods". Stay on Rt. 10 until it ends at Rt. 8. Head east. At Speculator you head north on Rt.30. At Indian Lake you are heading west on Rt. 30/Rt.28. At Blue Mountain Lake you are heading north on Rt. 30/Rt. 28N. At Long Lake stay on Rt. 30. At Tupper Lake take Rt. 30/Rt. 3. East of town take Rt. 3 where the highways split. At Saranac Lake take Rt. 86 to Lake Placid (thank your lucky stars it's October not January and -45 degrees). Lake Placid (to or from) I-87 is pretty straightforward via Rts. 73 and 9N. Note that all of these highways are valley roads. Easy sweeping curves, yes... but no tight mountain switchbacks.
    A good leg stretcher might be at Blue Mountain Lake. Park T@B in museum lot. On west side of Rt.30/Rt. 28N is a trail that runs along the west side of Blue Mountain Lake. On east side of the highway is a trailhead that splits either to Tyrell Pond or up Blue Mountain.
    A weird suggestion for Lake Placid area. By the time you get there you will have passed countless square miles of gorgeous flat water. If you're saying to yourself, "I wonder what it would be like to be out on that water gliding along powered by muscle glycogen", there's a cool option. Joe Moore builds world class carbon fiber canoes at Placid Boatworks right on the edge of town.
    His shop is on a beautiful pond (it's actually pretty big). He lives to see the look on people's faces when they get in one of his canoes and are blown away. We have the 17' tandem Ohneka hanging from garage ceiling. It's a whopping 37 lbs. These canoes are so stable you can literally lean into a turn. They split the water like a razor. You are sitting on a padded seat shaped like that on a tractor and are using a carbon fiber kayak paddle. I see he is doing test paddles between 1:00 and 4:00 p.m. by appointment. If you're inclined, we'd highly recommend it!

2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM