Options

Glycol Disposal

BogieMeisterBogieMeister Member Posts: 114
I'm considering changing out my Glycol. However I went to where I typically drop of used oil (Walmart) and was told they only accept oil. What do you do with old Glycol?
Gerri (Gary) Ewing
Montgomery TX (Birthplace of the Texas Flag)
2018 320 S - "No Agenda Hacienda"
Tow Vehicle 2023 Honda Pilot AWD

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    Check with a local RV dealer and see if they will take it - probably for a small fee.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,604
    edited October 2020
    deleted more recent & correct information later in discussion thread -10/06-
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    In California, you need to take glycol, even so called safe RV glycol to a proper disposal site, most auto shops will, take it for disposal for a small fee. Or to an authorized RV service center.  Some disposal companies have glycol disposal available.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    This is from the Century Transfer Fluid Safety Data Sheet:
    · 6.2 Environmental precautions: Do not allow to enter sewers/ surface or ground water.

· 13.1 Waste treatment methods · Recommendation
    Can be burned with household garbage after consulting with the waste disposal facility operator and the pertinent authorities and adhering to the necessary technical regulations.
    Small amounts may be diluted with plenty of water and washed away. Dispose of larger amounts in accordance with Local Authority requirements.
    The user of this material has the responsibility to dispose of unused material, residues and containers in compliance with all relevant local, state and federal laws and regulations regarding treatment, storage and disposal for hazardous and nonhazardous wastes. Residual materials should be treated as hazardous.

Not sure what they call small amounts.   
    You can call your local waste facility and see if they offer a household hazardous waste disposal.

I contacted nuCamp and they barrel it up and take it to a waste disposal plant and treat it just like auto AF.  We should, too.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited October 2020
    Thank you Sharon, That is precisely what I have been saying, glycol is glycol, and it all should be properly disposed off.  I would think small amounts would be what you might splash or get on your hands, not a cup left in the bottom of the container.  

Used glycol, like used motor oil, and auto antifreeze needs to be properly disposed of at a hazardous material waste pickup or collection site.  If you have a small amount your local auto service garage may be able to take, a dispose of it with their hazardous materials,
    cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The county I live in will only take antifreeze at the Tox Drop site, and they will pour it into a barrel to be sent to their toxic drop vender. (The previous owner of my house was so kind😡 in leaving two 5 gallon buckets of used antifreeze so I had to dispose of it properly.)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”