Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating

Thinking of pulling the trigger on the order of a 2021 Tab 400 Boondock.  The maximum payload on my Kia Tellluride TV is approximately 1250 pounds.  Towing capacity is 500 pounds, with the corresponding tongue weight limitations. I have read many forum postings around the edges of the combined vehicle weight rating issue-and am familiar with an 80% rule - which suggest a 2021 Tab 400 would just be doable for my TV, probably with a weight equalization hitch added.  But, I can’t find any information on the gross combined vehicle weight rating for a Telluride, and I’ve read the use of a weight equalization system doesn’t increase the weight limitations for the tow and towing vehicle.  Does anyone have an idea if the purchase of a 400 would be prudent?
My DS is tired of the shape shifting bed/saloon, and the yoga poses necessary to use the bathroom and galley in our 2021 Tab 320 BD, BUT is adament that she won’t change our TV.  I’ve read one posting by an experienced tower, badnuts, who had no problems at all towing a 400 with a sister vehicle-a Hyundai Palisade.  But I”m not an experienced tower, and couldn’t find out any details concerning his setup.  
Many thanks for any advices.

Comments

• GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    Most recommend a dry trailer weight of approx half of tow vehicle rating.  That will give you a loading and a safety factor. Though I don’t have a Telluride I have Google.  A 3 second search comes up with this:
    https://www.kiamedia.com/us/en/models/telluride/2020/specifications
    Gvwr is near bottom.
    Buying a brand new RV is practically the worst financial decision one can make.  So try to minimize the hit.  Rent or even borrow a 400 for a day.  Try Outdoorsy or RvShare.com.  Or you might even be able to find a dealer to “test drive” a trailer.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• josephstoryjosephstory Member Posts: 4
    Thank you, but my question involved gross combined (TV and trailer) vehicle weight rating. I don't know how much a loaded 3900 lb 400 would affect (if at all) the gross vehicle weight rating. And I'd love to buy used- and your rental idea is helpful. Thanks again. 
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited October 2020
    The weight of the tongue, 360-420 lbs. is added to the TV cargo weight.  So if you have 1250 lbs. cargo capacity, and the tongue is 400lbs with trailer loaded, your remaining TV cargo capacity is 850lbs.  Does not give a whole lot of extra room, but maybe is doable.  Just do not take what you do not need.  That said, I think you need a bigger TV for the TaB400.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,587
    KIA Telluride owners manual lists the allowed Tongue Weight at 351 pounds, new model year 400's have a 320 pound dry tongue weight.  First look at overall numbers says KIA Telluride is not compatible with a T@B 400.  You potentially could tow without overloading TV ratings however suspect you can only do so with the KIA load limited to two passengers, no gear, and the T@B also unloaded or as near dry weight as possible.

It is interesting how KIA owners manual does caution to watch GCVW but KIA does not seem to publish the data.  You should use your specific vehicle door sticker data and talk to the KIA dealer to get GCVW information.

KIA Telluride is not really designed for towing duty, wording of owners manual stresses use of caution.  Towing at the maximum vehicle rating will increase the need for caution.

Using several assumptions I ran a standard to weight distribution hitch calculator for your KIA at near fully loaded (payload wise) with a T@B 400 at 60% of it's payload . . . there are red flags.
    WC = standard hitch
    WD = weight distribution hitch

KIA Front Axle Load:

KIA Tongue weight:

Attached PDF file has full information on the assumptions used on the calculator and the full results.  With some research you could refine the calculator inputs . . . expect you will find KIA a marginal TV solution for a T@B 400 under real-world (camping) load conditions.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited October 2020
    Having a much lower tongue weight than expected for a 5000 lb towing weight makes me think Kia was planning for boat towing. Not for travel trailers, where the tongue weight needs to be at least 10% and preferably a little higher for safe towing. A 320 lb dry tongue weight will skyrocket once loaded, and truthfully we’ve already had a lengthy discussion here on whether or not that spec weight is even accurate. One new 400 owner measured theirs at 430 lbs off the lot, with basically just a full propane tank and no other load. It’s not uncommon for a 400 to reach 500 lbs tongue weight once loaded.

Unless the owner’s manual specifies a different tongue weight than found online, this won’t work.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • josephstoryjosephstory Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for all your comments. I should have posted that the Telluride’s owner’s manual was corrected to indicate a 5000 lb towing capacity, with a 500 lb tongue weight limitation.  Nonetheless, I agree caution (and maybe a pickup truck) is very much in order, and very much appreciate your comments and the link to the standard hitch to weight distribution hitch calculator. Front axle load with the weight distribution hitch surprised me. . .
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    It sure seems weird that Kia specs seem unclear, especially making a correction to an owners manual.  That would give me cause for concern and want to see more authoritative documentation from the company.  I guess you've researched your particular VIN number to find its actual rating.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Just throwing this out there...nuCamp has indicated they do not recommend using WDH on the 400, but refer folks to their dealers for matching TV's with T@B's in this respect. And in speaking with two long-time, highly-rated trailer supply shops they agree with nuCamp's recommendation. 

And to @VictoriaP point, my fully loaded 400 comes in @ 500lb tongue weight fully loaded (full H2O tank, empty grey/black tanks, twin propane tanks and tool bucket in tongue box, spare tire under the box, and moderate amount of gear stowed under dinette seat.)
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop