Options

Full size Boondock spare: Yea or Nay?

So, the now apparently eliminated Boondock Lite package for the 320 did not include a full Boondock spare on the matching wheel. My understanding is that on the 2021, the full size spare for Boondocks is also an option rather than a standard feature.

My question is, how necessary do you think it is to have a full size spare for the trailer? I have a call in to my dealer to price out a retrofit, buying a new tire and mount to move the spare to the tongue, but I’d imagine that this isn’t going to be a cheap option, and I’m wondering how worth it this project really is. Maybe it makes more sense to just move the smaller spare forward and call that good enough?

I’m not a “camp 20 miles down badly rutted forest service roads” type. This rig will rarely leave pavement. But on the other hand, a full size spare means minimal interruption of a trip in case the worst actually does happen.

Thoughts? 
2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
2020 Subaru Outback XT
Pacific NW

Comments

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited October 2020
    We have the full size spare. I even include it in tire rotations (yeah, I'm one of THOSE people).

As I understand it, you can safely use a smaller spare short term. Long term use would lead to uneven tire wear as it will 'drive' the trailer towards the smaller diameter tire side (Think of how a cone shaped object rolls). That will constantly scrub the tires, as the TV is pulling on a different vector.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I ordered the full size spare because I do tend to go off the pavement and I need to be able to change my own tire (only if I can’t get in touch with AAA!). I don’t want to have to go out of my way just because my spare is a different size and may cause uneven tire wear. The Boondock tires aren’t cheap and I’d rather take as good of care of them that I can. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Yes we have the full size spare also...was really hoping that it would mount under too...but nope in the "front carriage" it will sit...and the generator rode so we'll there..ordered our spare tire cover the other day..we also will be using it in tire rotation...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @VictoriaP, I will pile on here........I too have the Boondock spare.  Considering that you potentially could have a hard time getting the same or similar tire as a replacement while on the road, I would recommend a spare that is the same as the Boondock tires you have now.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    I'll take the other stance, just for argument's sake:

The boondock tires- seem to be pretty robust.  I've taken them down those 20 miles of rutted, rocky roads- for the last 2 years, and they haven't had a problem.  The likelihood of you needing to change a tire is fairly low.  If you do- the regular sized spare is lighter, a bit easier to handle, and will get you to a tire shop to repair your flat.  Granted- if the flat isn't repairable, you'll need to drive home, possibly a long way on the spare... but- that really isn't a big deal.  

The full size boondock spare, I think? either goes on the back rack- which is further back and the weight there will contribute to additional sway.  or, you put it on the front- and it contributes to additional hitch weight -good for sway control, but bad if you're already at your TV's limit and want to add water/generator or other weight on the front rack.

So- in all likelihood, you can live just fine with the regular sized spare. I'd probably go with the full sized spare if I were planning LONG trips.  But for my normal weekend, and week-long jaunts, I haven't bothered.    
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    morey000 said:

So- in all likelihood, you can live just fine with the regular sized spare. I'd probably go with the full sized spare if I were planning LONG trips.  But for my normal weekend, and week-long jaunts, I haven't bothered.    
    I have to admit, given the $400 cost (not including shipping!), I tend towards this train of thought myself, at least for right now. I do have the capacity up front for a full size spare, so that’s not an issue, but lots of other expenses at the moment, including putting a full size spare into the new car...which I think is more critical, since it’s AWD and you can’t tow on a donut!

Might be a case where I get the dealer to put on the front mount and move the smaller spare for now, and then upgrade to the bigger spare when the budget has more breathing room. 

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts!
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @VictoriaP, if you are going to have your dealer install the nuCamp spare mount that attaches to the aluminum tub, make sure that it is installed high enough to accommodate the Boondock spare, should you decide to go that route in the future.  When resting on the trailer frame area, the Boondock tire will presumably be taller than the stock spare.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Bayliss said:
    @VictoriaP, if you are going to have your dealer install the nuCamp spare mount that attaches to the aluminum tub, make sure that it is installed high enough to accommodate the Boondock spare, should you decide to go that route in the future.  When resting on the trailer frame area, the Boondock tire will presumably be taller than the stock spare.
    Excellent point, will do if I decide to go that route!
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    BywaysNWBywaysNW Member Posts: 71
    Our 2021 320 Boondock came with the full-sized spare. We never go off-road, and i I wonder if we really need it along on most trips. It's big and heavy and sits way forward on the tongue. What would the effect on trailer balance be if we left it off?
  • Options
    AddisonAddison Member Posts: 56
    Put it on and try towing it for a few miles, youll realize it does not tow well if tires are not same size. 
    2021 T@b 320 Boondock | 2021 T@b Nights: 40  | 2019 Honda Ridgeline | NuCamp owner since 2017
  • Options
    BywaysNW said:
    Our 2021 320 Boondock came with the full-sized spare. We never go off-road, and i I wonder if we really need it along on most trips. It's big and heavy and sits way forward on the tongue. What would the effect on trailer balance be if we left it off?
    Lighter trailer tongue can contribute to sway. You want the tongue to equal 10-15% of the total trailer weight. So I’d weigh the tongue with and without before deciding.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW