Options

“Temporary” 6-volts

deucedeuce Member Posts: 47
hoping @Sharon_is_SAM, @wizard1880, or other battery experts respond:

Having tired of my 12 V experience, I want to get the two 6V golf carts TODAY!

I won’t have the opportunity to restructure the holding box if I use them tonight. So I just thought that I would hook them up nearby (in parallel or series?) temporarily while transporting them in the cabin or my car, before setting up camp.

Does anyone have a list of the additional equipment I need, as well as a picture of the set up?

Comments

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    edited October 2020
    View inside my stock ‘18 320s outback. Depending where you buy the batteries, they should provide you a jumper to gang the batteries in series.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    @deuce - as 4ncar mentioned, you need to set them up in series. You didn’t say you would, but don’t remove your current battery until you get to your campsite - you need it for the break-away brakes.  Also, you have a 2018 I think - do you have solar or a battery monitor or inverter wired in?  Take a picture of the battery before you disassemble.  

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    @Sharon_is_SAM , I have a ‘17

doesnt the tow car’s battery also power the Break-away brakes?

the cabin sure draws from it for the trailer lights and fridge when the camper battery is off....

great pic @4incar - thanks!
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    The tow vehicle only powers the TaB electric brakes until the trailer actually detaches from the tow vehicle.  Then the charged TaB battery becomes essential.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    And the battery switch needs to be on also.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    lightningdonlightningdon Member Posts: 30
    4NCar, those metal bars you use as a hold down scare the heck out of me! Looks like you've already had contact with a post on them. I would recommend ratchet straps to hold those batteries in place. This install is in my T@G.

Don
    2017 T@G XL Max
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 with 6 Sp manual
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    Just having exposed battery terminals scare me. With the propensity to store other items in the tub. I would beg buy or scroung some plastic plates to cover the terminals Then use the non-conductive straps to hold the assembly down. With 200 Amp-hr batteries a short is very dangerous. Cars are open but people rarely store other items under the hood!
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    @lightningdon: believe me if there had been contact, I would have known it!  What you see is material I have removed with an angle grinder, and then have insulated with electrical tape.  The batteries are so snug that I really don’t need the hold downs, however, they are there in case of a rollover. They are thru bolted, washered, and the rod has been insulated with 1/2” cpvc pipe left over from some at home plumbing project. Nothing moves.

edit: looking at the pic again...seems this was a pic of a test fit before I put the electrical tape on the notches, but it’s there now.  
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    @lightningdon and @4ncar , where’d you move the propane tank?
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    4ncar’s propane tank is in it’s original position, to one side of the front tub box, you can see his propane line coming from the regulator going to the left.  There is just enough room in the right side (as you face the tub) for the two 6-BDC batteries.

Lightningdon has a small 1lb bottle between his two batteries at the front, follow his propane hose and your will see the small green bottle.

Having the battery posts exposed on both of these setups, seems like a bad idea, and an accident waiting to happen.  I put insulation boots on my battery terminal, even though the battery is tucked under the rear bunk on out TaB400.
    cheers

• Options
    edited October 2020
    @deuce: I have the old style out back diamond plate tube which is bigger then the plastic tub(s), and the GC2s just barely fit. Lightningdon’s Set up is in the plastic tub and thus alternate measures are required in respect to the propane tank/battery installation. There are some folks who have relocated the plastic tub forward to accommodate addition room for propane & batteries.

Disregard what Denny has said; some of us have learned to run with scissors. My batteries are secured and will not move(even in the event of a rollover. I do not store any conductive materials in the tub. Problem solved.
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    4ncar has the metal Boondock (Outback) tub, which is larger than the plastic tub Lightningdon has, so it can better accommodate two batteries plus a full size 20 lb  propane tank. Some have also used smaller 5 or 11 lb tanks instead to get the space they need for a second battery.

@Denny16, are insulation boots enough protection on these batteries that are a bit more exposed than those in your 400? I’ll eventually be tackling this project, and there isn’t a good way to fit two box lids in there, nor can I find a pre-made double battery box that fits the older Boondock tub (don’t want to pay to upgrade to the 2021 version). Insulation boots would certainly be the cheapest solution, if they’re protective enough.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    They would be better than nothing Victoria, and is what is used in a lot of car battery installations.  Having the battery secured is important, and if nothing else is stored in the tub, except the battery and propane cylinder, rubber boots over the terminals will reduce the chance of a short occurring lifting the tank in and out to fill it.
    cheers

• Options
    Who manufactures/sells the 6-volt in the smallest dimensions?