Options

2020 TAB 400 - Crazy leak using outdoor shower

grsiepkagrsiepka Member Posts: 58
Hi all. Was out camping over the past weekend. Doing some cleanup as we were packing up things I decided to use the outdoor shower hose thing to rinse off a couple things.  We were dry camping so I just using the water in the tank and the water pump. 

I had the water pump on, I pulled out the shower hose, turned on the faucet tap (hot water if it matters) and then pressed the switch at the end of the shower nozzle to let water flow. 

When I got done using the water, I just turned off the water at the nozzle, the taps were still open.  Got distracted for 5 minutes until i heard water running outside the camper. 

What I saw was water dripping (like a lot of water) coming out from under the black tray under the camper on that side. 

Once I turned off the tap, the water eventually stopped leaking. I'm guessing there's a mixing valve that the shower hose is attached to that is leaking? Disappointing being that its the first time using it and this trailer is pretty new still. But where would I begin looking for that leak? Am I going to have to remove that panel that is screwed and caulked in to get to it? Or do I pull the bottom panel off? I didn't see anything obvious on the inside where that connects to.  
2020 T@B 400 Boondock Lite - 2018 Toyota Tundra Platinum - Tempe AZ

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited October 2020
    If you are close to your dealer, you can make an appointment for them to take a look at this issue.  The shower valve assembly is in the TaB wall in the washroom behind the fold down sink.  You might gain access to the valve connections from the removable panel below the sink, when it is folded up, but it appears not, this is the trap access panel, here is a shot behind the sink unit:

So looks like you need to remove the outside shower unit or perhaps you can see the connections from under the closet area?  I think removing the outside shower unit is the quickest way to check it for leaks.
    cheers
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    Similar thing happened to me on the 320, I think the 400 uses the same exterior shower fixture. I didn't turn off the shower with the knob, replaced the nozzle in the fixture and closed the compartment door. The compartment door triggered the nozzle switch and I heard the water running out of the nozzle, when I opened the compartment door there was quite a lot of water that poured out, I suspect that if I didn't catch it in time the compartment would start to fill and eventually the water would pour inside through the hose opening.

2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    vhollowvhollow Member Posts: 71
    I have a 2018 400, purchased new.  The same thing happened to me. Plus, water was trapped in the belly pan under the trailer, and came out later in odd places, making me think I had another leak. I removed the exterior panel tightened the visible water plumbing connections, which may not have been properly tightened during the build, and that solved the problem. Recaulking the panel was easy. If you tilt your trailer to drain out one back corner, you can avoid having to remove the belly pan. The driver’s side rear worked for me.
  • Options
    grsiepkagrsiepka Member Posts: 58
    Yep ok thanks for the replies folks. I'll probably tear into that thing over the weekend, would rather fix myself than waiting 6weeks to get into the dealer. 
    2020 T@B 400 Boondock Lite - 2018 Toyota Tundra Platinum - Tempe AZ
  • Options
    TabulatingTabulating Member Posts: 84
    2018 Tab 400. 

Just to second the above thoughts, the hose on our outdoor shower was cross threaded on the the mixing valve.

There have been a few of us to have this happen.

To fix it, I removed the outdoor shower panel.  You really can't get to the guts of the shower panel any other way.

There are four square drive screws holding it in and caulk. The bottom of the shower panel was not caulked on ours. So I pried from the bottom of the panel and it popped free.

The fault was obvious on first inspection.  With the panel hanging on the outside of the camper, I turned on the one of the valves to show my wife.  

This is an unfortunate QC problem for whomever is installing the outdoor showers at Sugarcreek. Tsk. Tsk.

Bill

2018 T@b 400  towed by a 2012 JKU
  • Options
    rickw51rickw51 Member Posts: 2
    2020 Tab 400
    Loaned my trailer to my son-in-law and his father for an antelope hunt out in the desert in E. Oregon a few weeks ago.  They used the outside shower several times (a lifesaver for them as the temperatures were in the high 90s) and then noticed the leak.

I read these posts and then conducted the trouble-shooting to identify the leak at the outside shower faucet.  The issue was simply that the hose fitting was loose at the mixing point ... a simple fix.  Tested it and re-installed.

BTW. NuCamp did not respond to my queries about this but this forum is GOLD.

And, yes, the hunt was successful.

Thank you all.

Rick
    2020 T@b 400 Boondox; 2011 BMW X5 Diesel; Bend, OR
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 611
    @rickw51
    Now that you've removed the sealant to pull the mixing assembly, you may want to upgrade the hose to a kink-free stainless covered hose.  Way easier to use.

https://www.amazon.com/Singing-Rain-Kink-Free-Flexible-Stainless/dp/B092CR46PV/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=rv+shower+hose&qid=1630027178&sr=8-9
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    @SusanD - is this the same geyser you experienced?
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    SusanDSusanD Member Posts: 87
    @Mellow_Yellow Yes, it is. The screw at the mixing point on the outdoor shower was totally loose.  It also explains why I had anti-freeze inside my trailer after winterizing it.  I may eventually change the hose type but for now, problem solved. 
    2021 Tab320S Boondock, 2019 Subaru Outback 2.5
  • Options
    rickw51rickw51 Member Posts: 2
    @Horigan The stainless hose is a good idea.  The one you referenced on Amazon ... are the fittings the same as at the faucets?  Can the shower head be adapted to this hose or is a new one required?
    2020 T@b 400 Boondox; 2011 BMW X5 Diesel; Bend, OR
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 611
    @rickw51
    I'm not sure about faucets.  I know they work for shower installations, similar to the shower in the bathroom.  You could remove the interior shower hose and see if it fits a faucet.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    PNWTab400ownerPNWTab400owner Member Posts: 1
    Thanks everyone for your input on this leak issue. I ended up finding the same cross threading problem on my 2020 Tab 400. My leaking problem started when I fully extended the hose. I made a mistake though when leak testing it after the repair as I didn’t screw on the white plastic valve retaining nuts before I pressurized the valve body and one of the two on/off valves shot it’s core across the driveway and I got soaked. Took awhile to find the inner spring and rubber piece and to reassemble it all.  Seems fine now and does not leak. 
  • Options
    TabinatorTabinator Member Posts: 24
    New owner of a 2018 T@B 400. Was testing out all of the systems when water started leaking from the floor near the black tank discharge pipe. Came to this forum and found the answer immediately. Sprayer hose on the outside shower was threaded crooked. Thanks for the super easy help. Will be coming back for more 
    2018 T@B 400 in the company of 2009 Ford Flex 2023 F150 Powerboost
  • Options
    markathmarkath Member Posts: 12
    Same outside shower hose leak.  Unable to detach white box and not willing to force.  Can anyone recall where the hose attaches to the mixing unit? Photos? Can I carefully enlarge the opening at the back of the white box and get at the threaded junction to tighten or change hose. 
  • Options
    KismetKrushKismetKrush Member Posts: 29
    @grsiepka I see you live in Tempe. Tom's Camperland is dead right now-brent the head of repairs in mesa is confused about their lack of appts, so you could get in fairly quickly if you wanted too. But with all this help it sounds like you are on your way...
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    @markath, what trailer and what year do you have? 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    markath said:
    Same outside shower hose leak.  Unable to detach white box and not willing to force.  Can anyone recall where the hose attaches to the mixing unit? Photos? Can I carefully enlarge the opening at the back of the white box and get at the threaded junction to tighten or change hose. 
    Here are some photos from my work on the outdoor shower 

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/16114/quick-disconnect-for-the-outdoor-shower-a-success#latest

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab