Options

Quick Disconnect for the Outdoor Shower a Success

Well after reading about every comment on the outdoor shower (I have the Fontana box on my 400), I knew I needed an upgrade as the back side connections would leak despite all I tried. And this time I found out why. Here is my removal and upgrade thanks to @DenisP for the one I chose but it is similar to others.

First, what is wrong with the pull out hose and sprayer on the Fontana? Just about everything.

Once you remove the 4 screws and the caulk (which I had done last year due to a leak at the mix valve in center, I found the same connection had loosened again and this time saw why. Each pull in and out of the hose was applying some twist to the connector and it was unscrewing itself. Others have found with enough pull it will kink and also leak. It stopped when I tightened it but this time I was over it and had the quick disconnect ready to install.

I got the RecPro used by @DenisP

The spray port cowling easily unscrews from the metal quick disconnect, which is quite sturdy. The PVC rear filling is standard 1/2 inch  and has a backflow valve in it that can fall out. This is where I had to ask @DenisP how he secured the disconnect in the box. It was pretty easy. The cowling has a hex head size taper that secures the metal quick disconnect. I used a small hacksaw and carefully cut the cowling. It worked with no problems.

So now it was just using a hole saw to cut the hole just slightly larger than the metal threads, and wrap with plumbers tape to get the PVC to snug to the fitting and also tighten on the box. The plastic hex washer I had cut off was needed as a hold point to keep the quick disconnect from turning while I tightened the PVC fitting. It worked.

The braided connection between the mix outlet and the fitting is a standard 1/2 inch supply line fitting and does not interfere on re assembly

So the supply lines are hand tight fittings and when I reconnected to the trailer I had to tighten the braided line once more at the mix valve and all was good.
The pressure and flow from the quick disconnect is multiple times more than I was ever able to get before, and I can use any sprayer I want since it is a standard hose fitting on the coiled hose.

Bottom line this was NOT that hard and NOT very expensive to upgrade with basic tools and is WAY better function not counting the piece of mind of NOT damaging the trailer with leaking behind the wall.

I'll seal it back up after the leak test and thanks to all for the ideas!

QH

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab

Comments

• Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    Very nice detailed write up.  Thank you. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Awesome job, @qhumberd, and thanks for sharing with all the great photos & details.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,290
    edited August 2022
    Nice job! We've been using this mod for over a year and love its functionality. It's a highly recommended mod and a great instructional write-up. It might just be personal preference, but for us the RV coil shower hose is a PITA. We prefer the standard shower hose with a stainless outer jacket. It's much easier to route into a shower tent or a wash basin out on the picnic table for doing dishes. A 15' length stows at least as easy as the coil. For times when the picnic table is further away, I cobbled together another extension with male and female disconnect ends. 

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    That is what I like about this forum. Lots of support and good ideas. More choices are always better. And it appears that NuCamp watches what we owners do and incorporates changes at times based upon real life use findings.  BTW @AnOldUR I like the Blackstone griddle too!

• Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 181
    Great job and job aid. My next project in the hopper. Did you do anything to cover up the original hole for the the stock hose? 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Options
    Did you do anything to cover up the original hole for the the stock hose? 
    Not sure about @qhumberd, but my quick fix was aluminum tape to cover the hole. I'll find a better fix at some point. Another member here who did this mod custom cut a piece of wood to fill the recess. Looked good.

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    Did you do anything to cover up the original hole for the the stock hose? 
    Not yet. With the issues of potential leaks and the limited access to this region I might just try a removable covering so I can get a light in there and look around without having to pull the box again. You can see the black tank flush connectors on the back of the wall for one, and the trap for the folding sink as well as the connectors for the shower itself. It might save some time to rule out leaks in this area if needed, because when the fitting on the shower leaked, it dripped out near the tire and wet the floor all the way back to under the closet. I am a very unlucky plumber it seems so I just expect stuff will leak eventually.

These next pictures are the hoses with blue stripe that come from black tank flush on our 2019 and travel up to check valve and then back down to black tank. When I did the folding sink take out I noted gaps and used some brass wool to provide a barrier. But so far that has worked just fine.

The second shot is the now disconnected 3/4 corrugated drain from our old round folding sink that I could see would pretty easily clog. Others have replumbed this to standard fittings with sink upgrades in the shower with good success I think.

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited August 2022
    Very very nice write up and a well executed mod @qhumberd, keep up the grand work.  I need to make this mod sometime soon.  We don’t use the outside shower much, but it is nice to have when you do need it.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    And you don't have to worry about trapped water, you forgot to drain from the hose freezing and destroying the shower valves.  Yup.  I did that the 1st winter with our 320.     :blush:

2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    You would still need to drain the hose line behind the quick disconnect and shower valves.  A short bit of hose connected to a quick release fitting inserted in the TaB fitting would do the job, if blowing out the lines with air.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    Excellent reminder @Denny16. That 12” braided supply line is trapping water. The supply lines to the shower box have shutoffs under the closet in my 2019, but you would need to empty that line or use antifreeze. And I was worrying about the Black tank flush lines, which seem to be less risk of freeze damage.

• Options
    I also use the outdoor shower cut off valves under the closet floor.  Si ce I do not really use the outdoor shower, the cut off valves have been closed since last year, so this winter they will not need blowing out.I this was a nice option,that went away with the larger fridge install in place of the closet/wardrobe locker.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    I have had this mod for a few years and my winterization includes the outdoor shower along with all facets and toilet whether a compressed air blow out alone or combined with anti-freeze depending on exposure. Knock on wood have never had a problem. We live in the Northeast and store outside in winter and have taken several cooler trips which required winterizing in the road. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 381
    Hi @qhumberd,

I'm doing the same mod. but seem to be having an issue with water flow when I connect the new braided hose to the center water inlet shown at the  black arrow.  The new braided connector (and all I can find) has  a small brass fitting (third photo) that interferes with the OEM center inlet (second photo).  Did you  anyone have a similar issue or am I doing something wrong.  Thank you

2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    Very nice job @qhumberd!  Well executed and well explained!  I've had that project on the list for my 2015 320 but just haven't gotten to it yet, maybe this fall.
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    Yoshi_TAB said:
    Hi @qhumberd,

I'm doing the same mod. but seem to be having an issue with water flow when I connect the new braided hose to the center water inlet shown at the  black arrow.  The new braided connector (and all I can find) has  a small brass fitting (third photo) that interferes with the OEM center inlet (second photo).  Did you  anyone have a similar issue or am I doing something wrong.  Thank you

I don’t recall an issue with the supply line I used but the end connections were the same and I know there are a lot of variations in those end connections. That might be the issue. I don’t recall the specific plumbing term for the connections.

• Options
    MobeanMobean Member Posts: 52
    I had same no flow issue when connecting braided water hose directly to the mixing valve. Adding a ½" Sch 40 PVC riser between braided hose and mixing valve (as shown in photo) solved the issue.

An alternative is to use AnOldUR technique - cut the original hose and use a barb connection https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/17067/outdoor-shower-quick-connect-issue#latest  I did not want to destroy the original hose.

2021 320S BD
    2020 V6 Chevy Colorado
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 381
    Hi @Mobean,

tks for the responce...it was driving me nuts what was going on.  I looked but did not see your post.  I was measuring the openings looking for differences in size, etc.  I finally noticed when I backed off the hose coupling water began to flow.   I ended up using something similar.

2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    Glad you got it sorted. There must be some variations in the mixing valve dimensions that caused the no flow. I love the simple solutions.

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    One question, how/where do you store a new shower hose - can it be stored like the original, or must you find a new place to keep it & hook it up before each trip or when needed?  I guess you can't store it inside the trailer without an outside storage access door, if needed for muddy feet.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    @BrianZ. Ours is stored in a bag in the tongue box along with other water type supplies.

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    MobeanMobean Member Posts: 52
    In the TV in a separate storage container with Kit/Bath supplies

2021 320S BD
    2020 V6 Chevy Colorado