Question on H2O Pressure Regulator Used in Winterizing

ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
I recently purchased a Viair Compressor for winterizing on-the-fly.  Since these compressors don’t have an outgoing air setting to adjust/limit their output pressure (only a gauge to measure it), I will use one of these H2O pressure regulators to ensure that the pressure in my RV’s lines does not exceed 40-50PSI.  I am a bit concerned that the compressor says it can put out 150PSI, and so would hate for that to defeat the H20 regulator’s ability to throttle it down to 40-50psi, for obvious reasons.  Does anyone know what these are designed to handle in terms of incoming pressure?  Thanks!  

Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.

Comments

• 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    In reading reviews.... some say 100-125, others have said 150...😬
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Viair sells a winterizing kit that has all the fittings and a pressure regulator for around $40. I am not sure a regulator made for water will work correctly with air, especially at pressures way higher than normal for water supplies.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @N7SHG_Ham: I saw that kit too. Even if I don’t buy one of their pumps, I’ll probably buy the kit.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    edited October 2020
    I’ll have to look into that Viair kit too... and now I’m glad I started thinking deeper on my current setup and asked the question.  Even if it is up to 120PSI (thanks @4ncar), the limit of the H2O pressure regulator is really too low, and that probably makes sense given encountering anything higher than 100psi of water pressure is probably unlikely.  So.... I may have just avoided a potential disaster in the making.  

I did go ahead and ordered this attachment this morning that is purposely designed to limit the air supply coming from the compressor.  It would regulate the 150psi coming from my compressor down to 43psi max going to the RV.  But... I’m still going to look into that Viair kit mentioned by @n7hsg.   Thanks guys. 

Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
    nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.
  • DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    I have used the Viair winterizing kit the last two winterizations with a Viair 400rv. The kit is complete (regulator and adapter to water supply with quick disconnects) makes for quick work of dewinterizing without fear of over-pressurizing the system.  Worked well on the road on the way back from Florida to the frozen North 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    I don’t think the H20 regulator will work for air only liquids
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    I don’t think the H20 regulator will work for air only liquids
    It does work for air as well...tested it just yesterday.
    150 PSI in, 50 PSI out...
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
    Will 50PSI from my Husky 12V inflator be enough or is the airflow to low?
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    Factory Victron Solar, Norcold 3 way Fridge
    Clueless about everything electronic
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Pressure and air flow, or the volume of air being delivered are not the same.  A 50psi compressor can deliver 40 cam of air or a 114 cam, depending on the compressor capacity.  Pressure or psi is the air pressure being delivered.  A higher pressure will just deliver the air volume quicker, or have a greater energy potential , to run devices like air tools.  So reducing the air pressure will not reduce the the compressor’s ability to clear the water lines, it will just take a little longer.  You can blow out the water line with just 5psi of air.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.