Options

New T@B 400 2021 boondock

runaway30runaway30 Member Posts: 86
So I have been trying to play it cool, not get to excited, no big deal but I took the plunge and ordered my 400 on Monday.
I spent a little over a year in consideration, which seems about average for tab folks.

I went with the 12v fridge after much consideration.  I feel it will better fit for our goal of being self sufficient.  And I just prefer solar as much as possible.

I am told she will arrive in January at the dealer and living at 6000' the first thing I need to become an expert in is winterization.  I have been going thru the posts on this subject.  I am used to winterizing a boat with a water system (galley, Shower, head,  watertanks  etc.) and diesel engine so I imagine it will not be to different.
I am curious about using an air compressor though and trying to cut back on the antifreeze as I expect we might be winterizing several times a year.  Our plan is to travel in fall and late winter early spring.
I hope to develop a winterization routine that can be done quickly on the road.

Soon to be owner of:
2021 T@B 400 Boondock
Ford F 250 Diesel 2004

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    In the past, the factory delivered TaBs already winterized using the blow out method.  Not sure which method they are using now with the new Nautilus, but once your dealer does the walk through, the TaB will need to be re-winterized.  After you “study up” you can teach them as many informed owners know more than the dealers as they have so many different companies and models to master.

The 2021 400 and 320 Owners Manual states the following - surprising as they have never had this warning with previous, non-Nautilus models - they offered 2 methods and suggested consulting your dealer.

“There is a secondary method of winterizing that does not use RV antifreeze. The line is simply blown out with a blowout plug and no antifreeze is added. Since there is a risk involved with this method if the system is not blown out thoroughly, nuCamp recommends the RV antifreeze winterizing method as a safer option. If you wish to try the blowout method consult your dealer for instructions and training. Pressure in the lines must never exceed 50 PSI when blowing out the water system.”

I think I would use the antifreeze method until I was confident that the Nautilus manifold actually fully clears with the blowout technique.  

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    And the T@B can still be used effectively with it winterized, if you do the traditional RV treatment over the first winter.  Bring a couple jugs of water into the camper and you can wash dishes with a little bit of water, do a sponge bath or a water sparing Navy shower, and use the toilet.  They even make 12V pumps or pump-up pressurized canisters you can use to have a spray shower (though with just a tiny bit of water). Just add around the same amount of RV antifreeze pink stuff to the sink or shower (gray tank) or to the toilet (black tank) as you add liquids to those tanks... and your tanks and gate valves should be good to a pretty low temperature.  I'm just not sure how well Happy Camper enzymes will break down black tank waste at 15F with a 50/50 mix of waste and the pink stuff.

But I don't know how you'll be able to wait until January!
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    If you blow out the water lines, and add enough Rzv Antifreeze to get the pink stuff into the gray and black tank drain lines/gate valves, with some antifreeze in the actual gray tank, you should be fine.  The drain pipes be,ow the trailer and gate valves seem to be the most vulnerable to damage from freezing.  Since you are using the camper, running the Alde will keep the black tank in a TaB400 from freezing, as the tank is in the washroom under the toilet.  This way the Happy Camper treatment will work, as you should be above 40F with the heat on.

Any water you add to the gray tank, as long as it is not more than 2/3rds full, will have room for expansion even if it manages to freeze some, as the tank is vented and the air from freezing will escape out the vent, instead of pressurizing the tank, causing it to crack.  If concerned, just add some more antifreeze to the gray tank, and Bob’s your uncle... 
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.