Options

TAB 400 Boondock 2021 FLAT TIRE FIX

Had a flat tire recently. Getting the tire off and on is extremely difficult with the plastic fenders limiting access. I'm taking it to a body shop to have them trimmed. Is it easy to take the fenders off and put them back on?

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Yes, just remove the bolts/screws.  Not sure if they are also caulked in place, if so, this will need redoing when putting the, back on.
    I asked our dealer tech about this when we had the Boondock axle and larger tyres installed, and he said just jack the trailer a little higher, pull the tyre back,off slightly, then tip the top of,the tyre inwards, whilst gulling bottom out, and the tyre will drop down and off.  In 202, I believe, nüCamp made a different fender for the Boondock model, with higher clearances.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 491
    edited November 2020
    In my opinion, you shouldn't mess around trying to get the tire around the plastic fender.  Just remove the fender (7 screws total - need a square head driver for this) and then tire removal is straightforward.  There is a bit of caulk-like stuff around the screws, but it pulls away easily enough.  You have to jack the trailer up so that you have about a foot of clearance from tire to road  if you don't remove the fender.  When our dealer tried to do this, the trailer fell off their floor jack - fortunately only trashing the fender.
    Also check this post: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/10696/changing-a-tire-on-tab400-bdl#latest.  Interesting to hear that this may no longer be necessary if you have the new, improved fenders.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    So on my 2019 T@B 400 BDL I found that when removing the tire for bearing service I had to have about 3 inches clearance, then pull the tire off the studs and lower it, followed by rolling it inside the fender forward (or back) and pulling on the bottom of the tire until the rear of the tire cleared the fender and it rolled right out. It went perfect once and once I had to try a few times to achieve the angle of release. It was not fun, but did not require removing the fenders. A simple trim of the fenders at manufacture would make it so much easier. It was probably an easy oversight of the BDL design, and when the frame is way off the ground at manufacture you likely just have to raise the tire and it goes on easily.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab