Options

Storing Tab 400 outside in heavy snow

runaway30runaway30 Member Posts: 86
Does anyone have experience storing their 400 outdoors in snowy areas?  I define snowy areas as 200 inches a year on average,  a foot or two in 24 hours normal.

Is it wise to build a frame over the trailer or does snow tend to slide off?

Its a given that a cover is necessary I think.

Thoughts...

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Just as the roof of a Tab cannot support your weight, it can’t support a lot of heavy snow either. And more piles up on that roof than you might think, plenty of pics on this forum and on Facebook showing how the snow can accumulate despite the teardrop shape. If you don’t intend to sweep it off regularly, you’ll probably want some sort of carport over it.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited November 2020
    Yeah, we rake ours off if it gets to be more than 6-8". 

I figure if it's light snow, I can wait a bit, but I keep in mind the accumulation... ie: accumulation compacts over time and gets heavier 'per inch'.

Also, we found that if we allowed it to stay on there, it would melt underneath and find it's way through the cracks.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    +1 what @ChanW said. Rakin' the T@B is just another part of winter clean up!

Just be careful if you have ice. Last winter I raked a chunk of ice which came down and tore a hole in my cover near the tub. Go gentle and pay attention to the stuff coming off! 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    runaway30runaway30 Member Posts: 86
    edited November 2020
    Thanks for the input everyone.