Options

Sleeping Comfort 2021 T@B

PTomPTom Member Posts: 5
edited January 2021 in Tips & Tricks
We’re considering 2021 T@B.  How comfortable is the sleeping? How can it be made more comfortable ? (This is my first post. It may not be in correct category.)

Comments

• Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    Which model?
    The 2021 T@B 400 bed is extremely comfortable with a 2" latex topper added to the standard mattress cushions. More comfortable than my expensive home mattress IMHO.
    It was reasonable comfortable without the topper as well, but the mattress is 3 separate cushions, so a topper gets rid of the seams, as well as adds additional support and comfort.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    MischiefBrewingMischiefBrewing Member Posts: 26
    edited November 2020
    Welcome!  I can speak to the 2020 T@B 400 and say that it is quite comfortable to sleep in with some small modifications (for my preference).  I added a 3" memory foam topper underneath the factory mattress to soften it up some.  Had it on top of the mattress but couldn't roll over easy on the squishy thing.  The 2020 has a lower back window/emergency exit than the 2021 from what I hear which fixes the elbow bumping in the middle of the night while rolling over (I sleep closer to the window and my partner closer to the bathroom).  Not a major problem but different than sleeping at home.  Only other thing of note is the Alde system is right under the bed and can be a little noisy in quiet camping if you're a light sleeper. 

Oh, and I end up unplugging the tv and turning off the water pump and covering the jensen to reduce light.  Even with the dimmer on, the jensen is still a noticeable light to me.

Oh yeah number 3:  The access to the bed is pretty narrow and can be challenging to get in/out without having the bathroom side sleeper move.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    MischiefBrewing said:  

Oh, and I end up unplugging the tv and turning off the water pump and covering the jensen to reduce light.  Even with the dimmer on, the jensen is still a noticeable light to me.

Oh yeah number 3:  The access to the bed is pretty narrow and can be challenging to get in/out without having the bathroom side sleeper move.
    The 2021 T@B Jensen model has a setting to dim the  display...including completely off...and can be toggled on and off by simply pressing the power button. No need to modify it, other than setting it up in the settings menu.

And good point on 'Number 3'...the inside sleeper needs to be physically agile to exit over the outside sleeper (if there is one). To me, that is the only real compromise with the 400 setup, but one that I'd do again given how well thought out the entire space is.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
  • Options
    p21usap21usa Member Posts: 13
    ChrisFix said:
    The 2021 T@B Jensen model has a setting to dim the  display...including completely off...and can be toggled on and off by simply pressing the power button. No need to modify it, other than setting it up in the settings menu.

Wouldn't you still experience a parasitic power draw even if the display if "off?"
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    yes, but a very Insignificant amount, not worth fretting over, especially o
    if you have so,are to offset the minor drain, various soft start systems create.  The lights, fans and two-way fridge are your main loads on the battery.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    p21usa said:
    ChrisFix said:

Wouldn't you still experience a parasitic power draw even if the display if "off?"
    Yes, but the concern discussed here about the Jensen was the brightness of the display...
    Which can be eliminated entirely by fully dimming it. The discussion wasn't about how much power it uses.
  • Options
    DanManzDanManz Member Posts: 79
    @PTom We love sleeping in our 400 BDL.  I was suspicious at first given how thin the cushions are.  The secret is the Froli sleep system underneath the cushions.  We too put a matress topper on and used a standard double bed size.  That helps pull all the cushions together and keeps us from feeling the seams/gaps between them.  The illuminated switches are amazingly bright but one little dab of black fingenail polish has solved that.  We agree with @MischiefBrewing about hearing the Alde at night.  For me, it's kind of like white noise.  I just pull the covers up and think how cold it is outside while we are nice and cozy inside.  Camping.....no, it's really glamping!
    Dan and Liz    2019 TAB 400 BDL    2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD TRD Sport
  • Options
    PTomPTom Member Posts: 5
    I did not mention 320 s, not 400.  We go to dealer today to try the bed configuration and see if our dachshund’s carrier fits. 
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    edited November 2020
    @DanManz I'm curious, do you find the double size too short at all?  Double is 75" and I believe the 400 is 79".  Just wondering how you accommodate those missing 4 inches (I'm about 6'0 so need every last inch of mattress space!).  I was thinking if I find the stock cushions insufficient I might get a queen topper (60x80) and trim it to the size of the 400 bed (55x79 if memory serves..)
  • Options
    DanManzDanManz Member Posts: 79
    @TomCanada You are correct about the dimensions and it is just a couple of inches short at the head and foot (maybe side to side also).  We wanted to have the elastic part that normally fits over a real bed size mattress pull the cushions in and keep them together.  That seems to be working for us.  When sleeping on it, we don't notice the peripheral parts that the mattress topper doesn't cover.  I also don't notice any gaps between the cushions.  If I ever upgrade the topper from the cheapo one we got at Target, I will probably get one of the custom made ones (see a different thread on mattress toppers) that should fit exactly.  Sleep well!
    Dan and Liz    2019 TAB 400 BDL    2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD TRD Sport
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Our 320 was not comfortable with the dinette cushions...did it for one night and added our memory foam to it...we added almost 4" ...much better..
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,003
    I'm 6'2" 200lbs and sleep wonderful in the 400.  Plenty of length and the width  is fine.  Of course my wife and I do sleep in an antique full size bed every night so the size is really almost the same for us.  It is comfortable out of the box but we also added a pillow topper and it's even more comfortable now.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited November 2020
    @PTom, we have a 320. I am over 6' tall. We usually make the full bed and I sleep at a diagonal. We have, on occasion, used the twin bed setup. My feet hang over the end of the bed, but I manage to sleep anyhow (usually too tired to really care on those nights :-) ). The dog crate should fit with no problem in the twin bed setup.

The stock cushions make for a firm bed. We both usually sleep on our backs, so it works fine. Rolling on to a side is uncomfortable on old shoulder and hip joints...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    @ChrisFix...assuming you've gotten the JWM 22 jensen cube..I can dim it...but not turn off like you said..our older model jensen I could... what's the programming secret..can only read the manual so many times...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    @ontheroad
    I have the Jensen Cube JWM20...
    In the display dimming settings, set the Dim Level to 0, which is off. See page 6 of the attached pdf...under System Settings.
    Once you set the Dim Level to 0, you can toggle the display on/off by a press of the power button. Works perfectly.
    https://www.asaelectronics.com/downloads/dl/file/id/1086/jwm20_owners_manual.pdf
  • Options
    @ChrisFix..thanks for the link...I was playing today and got it to dim off...had to get the headlamp out and on so I could read the screen...now to set it to level one at least...lol
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Cheryl13Cheryl13 Member Posts: 30
    We added 2.5” memory foam and a quilted mattress pad in the ‘ full’ size.  Like others have said, using a full size pulls the cushions together and still fits. Very comfortable, though as the partner sleeping in the corner, it takes so getting used to.
    2021 T@B 400
    2019 Subaru Ascent
  • Options
    OutwardboundOutwardbound Member Posts: 2
    @PTom It seems this post is mainly speaking to the mattress in the TAB 400.

I, too, am a new 2021 TAB 320 S owner and am interested to know how others might have modified the relatively firm and not exactly comfortable stock seat cushions to make it more comfortable for sleeping.  The tricky part in this particular 2021 TAB 320 S model is that the cabinets over the bed don’t leave much room for your head due to their increased height over previous 320 S models and when you try to pad the stock seat cushions with a mattress topper, the additional height renders sleeping with your head under those cabinets impossible, leaving you no other choice but to sleep with your head closer to the front of the camper, which isn’t ideal, but can be done.  

I would like to hear what any other 2021 TAB 320 S owners have tried to do to improve the comfort of the cushions for sleeping.  

Also, I came up with a really simple solution to block all the disruptive electronic lighting in the camper that comes, not only from the Jensen stereo, but also the microwave, the TV, and that pesky little light coming from the USB port right under the bed cabinet -  All blocked by a quick and simple application of black electrical tape!  I hope NuCamp comes up with a better solution with it’s next models to eliminate the unhealthy LED and blue lights from surrounding the sleeping area in this tiny camper.  There are plenty of studies which have shown that these white and blue spectrum LED lights are really disruptive to our circadian rhythms, disrupting the quality of our sleep.

• Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    Not being of royal blood (...princess and the pea) and coming from a life time of tent camping on whatever ground our hikes led us to... My wife and I are fine with the 320 cushions, gaps and all. Our issues center around having no interest in crawling over the other at night. Can we put up with the low cabinents to get the optimum night exit, reading light and storage (head at the kitchen end is more comfortable). Finally are we comfortable with two twins (using 1/2 width back cushion) to leave table setup and easier in and out of bed....  Too personal take this input and try it yourself, lay down (and both get up). Fortunately we're both under 5'8".
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    andyboyandyboy Member Posts: 120
    We have a 2021 320S Boondock like @MarkAl . We also opt for twin bed set up, minus the table. With the twins, there's no acrobatics and or disturbing your mate during late night bathroom trips or early rising. After wrestling with the table and side back cushions a number of times we just leave them home.
    We use Mattress Insiders' 2" Brookside memory foam toppers: https://www.mattressinsider.com/rv-mattress-topper.html which are super comfy along these awesome RV Superbags: http://www.rvsuperbag.com.
    We sleep with our heads toward the back. We're average height (short) so our heads don't go too far underneath cabinets. We leave them open to gain a couple more inches. In the morning, we leave the back cushions down and roll up the bedding to fit under the cabinets and we use them as back cushions. It all works great for us.

2021 320 S Boondock
    Subaru Outback XT and Honda Passport
    Des Moines, IOWA!
  • Options
    Driver912Driver912 Member Posts: 3
    We are considering a TAB 400 but we don't have a dealer locally that has one. Can someone who has a TAB 400, please tell us how big is the front sleeping area?  Thanks!
  • Options
    I sleep in the dinette bunk often, and find it quite comfortable, I use a  sleeping bag as a pad, and a sheet over it.  Sleeping directly on the cushion is fine too.  Thinking about getting a 1 or 2-inch memory foam pad to use in place of the sleeping bag, as a pad.

The main bunk with the Foley springs is a little more comfy.  I am thinking about adding Foley system to the dinette bunk, if I can work out a good way to do it.
    cheers
  • Options
    mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    I think the comfort is very dependent on your height and width.     it was fine for me.   I am a140lbs.  wife is 110.   this makes it fine.   just have to fine tune the mattress to our liking. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick reply, Denny16.  We are trying to figure out if this space could be used regularly for sleeping by a 5' 2" adult.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    @Driver912I think so, I am 5’9” and was comfortable, a shorter person would have more room.  The dinette made into a bunk, is like a boat berth, wide at the head and narrower at the foot.  Overall it is similar in size to a twin bed, as far a sleeping room goes.
    cheers
  • Options
  • Options
    justdoit70justdoit70 Member Posts: 42
    Happy New Year all,
    We are waiting on or 400 solo Bdl  she will be here some time in March ordered 10/25/2020 Has any one installed the froli system to the single solo bed, can this be done and work properly? Concerned about moisture under cushions and comfort . would love to hear all input Thanks. Alaska or Bust Covid free 2021
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    No direct experience but I think it can be done. NickleAtlantic.com sells a mat you can use for Froli installation on slatted bed frames.  https://nickleatlantic.com/collections/accessories/products/froli-mesh-overlay?variant=32562550767719
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    justdoit70justdoit70 Member Posts: 42
    Thanks rhyno ,I missed that on there web site, I `ll look into this deeper, waiting and researching
  • Options
    NanabirdieNanabirdie Member Posts: 17
    @Outwardbound - I am also a new owner of a 2021 T@B 320S and share your suggestions about the light issues. The radio display is the brightest of all. I've taped over all blue and green lights with small pieces of construction paper... it's not pretty but does the job. 
    I also would love to hear ideas for the seat/bed cushions. I've been living in the camper now for 45 days and realize that's not what it's designed for, but it's been my pandemic-times Safe Haven while I visit my granddaughters. I've tried all orientations of sleeping (am only 5'4") and at first I didn't mind the cushion cracks. But now the cushions are already forming dips where I sit also, and I'm thinking about a topper that would also roll/fold easily to stow during the day. It's true the cabinets are low - I've banged my head several times, and the topper would mean only having my head at the other end. I'd like something that doesn't give off a lot of gases so am looking at wool, or an inflatable camping pad. Would love to hear ideas!