Options

Solar setup for a Tab 400

2»

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,509
    @DenisP - that looks like a serious connection.  We don’t use our CS solar port because a 30 ft cable was just too heavy, so we made permanent pigtails coming off the battery, shunt and portable charge controller.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    HammickHammick Member Posts: 73
    I know this is an older post but I'd thought I would provide some info on the solar port to avoid confusion on the newer tabs.  At some point NuCamp quit installing the solar port because some owner's weren't realizing that it was wired directly to the batteries and damaging their AGM batteries with high voltage.

I'm not sure if the solar port is standard on '23 and '24 TAB 400s but it is included if you get the Lithium/Multiplus upgrade and is wired to an additional Victron charge controller.  Our '23 TAB 400 has a Victron 75/15 for the rooftop 185w panel and a 75/10 for the solar port.  I will be swapping out the 75/10 for a much larger Victron controller so I can hookup 5 or 6 100w suitcase panels in series.  A series connection will allow me to keep all the wiring the same and just upgrade the solar controller.  It will also allow me to use 16 gauge wire for the panels over 50' from the camper at only 1% voltage drop.