Options

Antifreeze brand?

New 2021 Tab400 Boondock owner here...I see references to ‘pink antifreeze’. Is there a particular specific product? Camping World sells Starbrite but in NE FL the CW stores don’t carry it and I haven’t found it in other stores yet. I also see Starbrite seems to have a couple diff kinds. Is this the go-to product? Is there another brand might be easier to find? I’m anticipating some winter camping in NC. 
I appreciate this forum and all the help available.  
Simbionic
Tab 400BD
TV: 2013 Lexus GX460

Comments

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited November 2020
    I'm also curious what everyone uses.  I use the CW stuff, but Google says it's cheaper at Walmart, Tractor Supply, etc.  But when I stopped by Tractor Supply last week, their pink stuff bottles had an ominous label saying use of the RV line antifreeze leaves a toxic residue that is harmful to human health. So that's a big nope just to save fifty cents per gallon.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    @DougH
    Interesting. On TS's website it says "All ingredients are listed in the U.S. Federal Register. This product is considered GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) by the Food and Drug Administration."
    And the Walmart brand has no toxicity warnings for normal use, although it says that it isn't meant to be ingested...but then again, who would want to drink propylene glycol?

Propylene Glycol has been the standard RV antifreeze for a long time. 
    And Propylene Glycol is used as a food additive as well...
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/propylene-glycol#TOC_TITLE_HDR_3

After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,692
    I've never understood why it isn't simply labeled.  The confusion on this is just never ending.
    Propylene glycol is the "generally recognized as safe" stuff sold as "RV Antifreeze" .  If it says "safe for use in potable water systems" that would be propylene glycol.  
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited November 2020
    Post edited p, to correct info...
    If it is RV type antifreeze, it should work.  Just remember to switch the Alde bypass, so you do not get any inside the hot water tank.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,692
    I think the OP was referring to antifreeze for winterizing, not the Alde glycol. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    Opps, thanks, my bad.  :o
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited November 2020
    ChrisFix said:
    but then again, who would want to drink propylene glycol?

People who Vape, they are smoking it so why not drink it too....
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC