Options

Brakes

RoDaRoDa Member Posts: 4
edited November 2020 in Trailer & Towing
Has anyone had trouble with a too aggressive braking system, Draw-Tite?

Comments

• Options
    MadCityJackMadCityJack Member Posts: 106
    Brake controller setting too high?
    2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
    2018 Toyota Highlander, XLE  
    Wisconsin
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    RoDa said:
    Has anyone had trouble with a too aggressive braking system, Draw-Tite?
    There is a ton of information available about trailer brakes and this issue within the forum area.  By using the search function above you should find a ton of information about it as others have experienced this too.  You probably just need to back your trailer brake controller setting off a bit and take your trailer out for a test drive if the brakes are locking up.  If you notice the hubs are heating up back the setting off, travel around 25 mph, try braking and adjust the controller accordingly.  There are a ton of videos out there on YouTube also that will guide you through the process...  Good luck!
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,446
    I assume you are referring to electric brakes with a Draw-Tite controller. What exactly is happening that is "too aggressive?"

I have a different controller, but my first season (despite setting up the controller in exact accordance with the directions) I had a lot of trouble with my brakes grabbing just before coming to a stop--particularly on a slight downhill approach. I can't say exactly what solved the problem, but after extensive fiddling with controller settings--and adjusting the brakes themselves, the problem went away and has not reoccurred in the five years since. I have a reasonably substantive tow vehicle so I keep the brakes dialed pretty far down, but they do perceptibly engage, particularly under hard or downhill braking where they are most needed.   
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    What folks often overlook is that brakes go through a "break in" period. Brakes work with surface to surface engagement. It takes a few miles for the surfaces to seat themselves. For that reason you should follow the controller adjustment/setup recommendation and also check and reset the brakes as necessary. Controllers are not really a "set it and forget it" device. It's a good idea to run your wheels a bit after you get your rig out of storage and check the controller and the brakes to make sure they are set your satisfaction. If the brakes are grabby lower the boost and if they don't seem to engage, increase it until they do. 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    @RoDa - I think that nuCamp recommends the brakes to be checked/adjusted after 200 miles.  That may also help.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio