Options

Delivering T@B in the Middle of Winter

I'm fairly close (we'll see) to closing on a deal for a new 400. The issue I'm wondering about is taking delivery of a brand new trailer in the dead of winter (february). 

Our current popup trailer was purchased new but the underside of it looked like it was 10 years old. The reason being was that it was towed to the dealership (Indiana to Idaho) in December and road salt had its way with the underside. Granted the frame itself was ok but the leaf springs (I realize there are no leaf spring on the 400) and hardware took a beating with rust coating all of them. I'd like to try and avoid this as much as possible. 

Are T@Bs trucked in or pulled in to dealerships typically? I saw a video on YT where they were actually delivered in the back of a semi (covered). The dealer is a good 1400 miles away from the factory so it'll be traveling a good distance. I know this may sound petty but I'd really hate to have a brand new trailer looking like a rust bucket underneath. Not to mention there are genuine concerns about corrosion. I know the underside is covered with that corrugated plastic but is that more of an invitation for hidden corrosion or does it actually block the elements from intruding further under the frame?
2021 400 BD
2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 

Comments

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Depends, mine was towed in February and I got a some salt rash, mostly on the chains, although I haven't ever pulled the belly plastic down to look. All visible areas I scrubbed with a salt removal solution. Hopefully the only corrosion left is the chains. I wasn't too happy, but apparently a common thing in winter and mine was only pulled a few hundred miles.

If I had it to do again I would insist on no towing in the salt.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,184
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    Depends, mine was towed in February and I got a some salt rash, mostly on the chains, although I haven't ever pulled the belly plastic down to look. All visible areas I scrubbed with a salt removal solution. Hopefully the only corrosion left is the chains. I wasn't too happy, but apparently a common thing in winter and mine was only pulled a few hundred miles.

If I had it to do again I would insist on no towing in the salt.
    I think getting a dealer (and actually having them follow through) on that request is going to be next to impossible (most seem to be barely able to return emails on inquiries let alone honoring a custom request). I may have to look at another dealer who can deliver in the spring months. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    My understanding is that for longer distances at least, they’re trucked in, but I don’t know if there’s a distance cutoff for that process. Mine arrived at the tail end of one of the snowiest winters on record, over a longer distance than yours, and was close to pristine on arrival.

Best bet is to simply contact the dealer and ask how the trailers are shipped to them.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 186
    edited December 2020
    NuCamp loads several T@Bs on a truckload at a time . They are small and light enough to make multiple unit loads very cost effective (like boat companies do) . We make quite a few trips back and forth on route 80 through Ohio in the NuCamp general area and have seen many NuCamp Tab shipments going both directions . I forget how many fit on a load , but I think they can fit 4-6 units on a single load . 
    I wouldn't even worry that your 400 would be trailed any other way than on a semi truck load for a 1400+ mile journey to your dealer . It is WAY more cost effective to ship multiple units on a single load , than individually by a pick-up truck , and they know that . 
    On a very rare occasion , usually for closer shipping , they may use 1up, 1 back towing , where a large truck has the ability to put one "unit" above the truck on a rack , and tow another "unit" behind . Have seen this in the boat business but its only for closer trucking shipments, or smaller dealers . Usually not for very long cross country distances . 
    I think its a safe bet that your 400 will be on top of a semi trailer specially built to haul smaller trailers . 

Good luck with the new T@B ! 

2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2024 NuCamp T@B 400 BD,  Grey / White 
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black - SOLD 

• Options
    B0atguy said:
    NuCamp loads several T@Bs on a truckload at a time . They are small and light enough to make multiple unit loads very cost effective (like boat companies do) . We make quite a few trips back and forth on route 80 through Ohio in the NuCamp general area and have seen many NuCamp Tab shipments going both directions . I forget how many fit on a load , but I think they can fit 4-6 units on a single load . 
    I wouldn't even worry that your 400 would be trailed any other way than on a semi truck load for a 1400+ mile journey to your dealer . It is WAY more cost effective to ship multiple units on a single load , than individually by a pick-up truck , and they know that . 
    On a very rare occasion , usually for closer shipping , they may use 1up, 1 back towing , where a large truck has the ability to put one "unit" above the truck on a rack , and tow another "unit" behind . Have seen this in the boat business but its only for closer trucking shipments, or smaller dealers . Usually not for very long cross country distances . 
    I think its a safe bet that your 400 will be on top of a semi trailer specially built to haul smaller trailers . 

Good luck with the new T@B ! 

Thanks for the info! I do believe the "1 up, 1 back" method is what they did on my current trailer. Before I sell it I need to remove a lot of surface corrosion. Unreal how quickly things can corrode.

The dealer is smaller which is what has me concerned. I put in an email to Nucamp to see what they say. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Our 320 came in with a 400 to our dealer on a flat bed..nuCamp does try to do a few dealer's orders together when they ship to Ontario CA...I remember our T@g coming with another dealer's order!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    My dealer went to factory and towed to his dealership where I picked it up. I think the only real way to not have a towing in the salt is order March or so for a summer delivery, when it is ready to be delivered, it will get moved in salt if it is still salt season. Even on a trailer they can get salt spray on the trailers.

Almost all bigger RV's get towed one at a time to dealers, so I am assuming a fair share get towed in salt too. At least with smaller trailers I think it is more common to load several on a trailer, BUT I know not all do because I know mine got towed from NuCamp I'm February and did get salted.

NuCamp has limited storage as do most dealers and when it is ready it gets moved because everyone has a schedule and typically that is not planned around weather.
  • Options
    brianlovestoflybrianlovestofly Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2020
    When we visited the dealership in Georgia in October and signed an order for our Tab 400 (should arrive end of December, fingers crossed) we noticed a flatbed unloading an order of Tabs out front.  I'm assuming this is how ours will arrive, and likely yours, too.

Brian

2021 T@B 400 BD
    2020 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    When we visited the dealership in Georgia in October and signed an order for our Tab 400 (should arrive end of December, fingers crossed) we noticed a flatbed unloading an order of Tabs out front.  I'm assuming this is how ours will arrive, and likely yours, too.

Brian

Thanks for posting! Nucamp also reached back out to me and confirmed that while they used to tow a few single pulls (mainly due to specific circumstances...warranty replacement) they avoid it now if possible. I'm sure it's much cheaper to load an entire truck and drop these off. 

Yeah there still may be road salt but not to the extent of pulling one 1400 miles across the country.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    You should contact your dealer and ask them how they get the nüCamp trailers delivered.  Ours has 4-6 trailers trucked in at a time.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Most are trucked, there are some dealers within a day (guessing that is about limit) drive who go to factory and get them themselves, mine was one of them. Do NOT assume it will come on truck just because most do, ask you actual dealer if you want to know for sure. That day drive would cover a large population base if you are within a few hundred miles of Sugarcreek, OH
  • Options
    LonesomeRoadLonesomeRoad Member Posts: 86
    We were at the factory in August and snapped a few pics in the shipping lot. At least these 3 units were going out on a flatbed.

2021 400 BD
    2018 Ford F150 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Very few T@B’s and T@G’s leave the factory not being on a flatbed trailer. You can sit and watch the trailers leaving a few times a day. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    @ontheroad is your CA=Canada or California?  There's an Ontario in both :) 
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Sorry Canada..keep forgetting about the Ontario in California...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Re: dealing with the rust on your popup...
    After towing our Tab one winter, I found surface rust on all the underneath metal.

I used Gemplers 'Rust Converter' on it, which worked well. It's the consistency of water and goes on easily. It turns a dark gray/black.

They recommend a top coat of a more durable paint, but I found it lasted a few years even without paint.

....... Before I sell it I need to remove a lot of surface corrosion. Unreal how quickly things can corrode.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya