Photo Size

Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
Just a reminder to please resize your photos before posting them to the forum.  Phone photos are especially large, but are easily reduced.  Thank you to those who have made this an easy habit.  We all enjoy viewing everyone’s images, but those who choose to ignore this courtesy will have their photos deleted without warning.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio

Comments

• ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Sorry... Tablet and user error...blame the user not the tablet...lol..
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @Sharon_is_SAM Once a year or so I geek out and run a script that analyzes all 100 pages of the Vanilla T@B forum posts for correct image size posting.  The script and output are attached to this post

This time around it detected 2,973 different discussions, with 1,856 unique authors on our forum, some current, many inactive.  There were 4,650 correctly sized images taking up only a gigabyte of space, or 226kB per image. Woo-Hoo!

Some folks had posted over 250 images, all correctly sized, with nary a single oversized pic. Others had one correct sized pic, and over 25 too large.  For all the too large images the output of the script gives the URL of the discussion, and the URL of the image.

As rankings go, I was number 353 for being good, with 119 correctly sized images, but 6 that were too large.  In my defense they were 640x800, 640x673, 720x616, etc. so just barely over the 600x800 or 800x600 limits.

A really bored moderator could delete every oversize image, or any individual can grab the zip file attached, find their name starting on line 42,881 of the script output file, then resize any images that are a wee bit big. Or they could study the Python to see an example how to scrape information off a web site. Boring.

Some images are quite old. Like one person who has not been active in a year and a half posted only one image which was 2448x2448 image way back in 2014. I found several that were 2000x1500 posted in 2020, but heck, if they involve Jeeps towing T@Bs in the Rocky Mountains all is forgiven, right?

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Thanks for your effort @DougH.  Unfortunately too many members join and never bother to read about the expected downsizing of phone photos.  As can be seen, we have resorted to deleting those oversized photos.  Way too much time spent messaging members about photo size.  
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Thanks for your effort @DougH.  Unfortunately too many members join and never bother to read about the expected downsizing of phone photos.  As can be seen, we have resorted to deleting those oversized photos.  Way too much time spent messaging members about photo size.  
    Honestly, most forum software takes care of this automatically (as someone with experience in this area recently pointed out). There are probably many people who simply don't understand what you're asking them to do. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Yup, but just think of all the changes we could make to the script...  we could have it go through the 10,000 posts and see who posts the most, who posts only between 1-3 AM, is there a correlation between state of origin and fave T@B or fave tow vehicle, all while scanning all images looking for under-inflated tires in order to warn the poster. Or heck, a moderator interested in coding could change up the script to auto-resize any big images.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    @DougH ;  Thank You for the listing :)

I always try to get the photo size correct . . . but . . .
    Do enjoy seeing my improvement year-by-year.

This year's listing has a possible 'code script' bug:
        Two of my oversize are actually Attachment Files.
         They are not in the post body text and were added as Attachment files due to file size.
         Seems wrong to be flagging them as Photo Size Errors.

An additional photo flagged as over size is in a Moderator Closed thread,
    so I cannot edit the photo size.

= = =

On the plus side:
    Did learn that "Resizing a Photo in a Quote" via the editor only changes the displayed image size not the vanilla stored/reported size. . . . In future will have to resize quoted images off-line or delete from quote . . .

Thanks Again.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited March 2021
    Speaking of quotes, how come nobody complains when someone quotes a 500 line comment with a dozen photos only to add their own five word remark at the very end.

I feel a new rule coming on!  ;-)

Seriously, the photo thing is something that has been kicked around for years. Its unclear why such a slick, full-featured, forum interface like Vanilla can't incorporate this feature, but it's not for lack of requests.

Regardless, since Vanilla is purchased third-party package (Thank you nuCamp for continuing to fund this!) we have no control over the scripts even if we did know what to do with them.

And yes, there is a free version of Vanilla that can be used to create one's own forum interface. But don't even suggest it!  ;-) 
    2015 T@B S
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    As an FYI, the link in this discussion on how to size your photos doesn't work.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited May 2023
    @Tampakayaker, that discussion may have been deleted. In the last year or so, Vanilla finally incorporated automatic photo resizing, making this issue largely moot. The feature works great, with one wrinkle in that--under certain circumstances--photos may appear rotated 90 degrees. You can read more details here.
    If you are still interested, there are some other discussions in the Help - Computer & System category that may be of use.
    2015 T@B S
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    I was looking for the correct size, which I found in another post.  I have no problem resizing them.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    FYI - since our resizing became automatic and really only requires us to use a “landscape” positioned photo instead of “portrait”, the original discussion in the above link was taken down.  So, @Tampakayaker - unless you really enjoy reducing photo size, just attach a photo in “landscape” and it will resize automatically.