2019 T@B 400 Heating System -- Help!

TaiKahnTaiKahn Member Posts: 5
I'm planning to use my 2019 TAB 400 for the first time in cold weather and need help understanding the heating system. I generally understand the Dometic AC system and how it works. What I am not sure about is the Alde system. Is the Alde system only for hot water or does it also heat the camper? Also the Alde manual instructs to check the glycol level before using the system. For the 2019 TAB 400 is the glycol tank located in the left-hand corner of the camper, near the side window? If that's the glycol tank, how do you top off the glycol? It's really wedged into the corner and not easily accessed.     

Comments

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    edited December 2020
    Location of glycol resorvoir depends on which fridge you have. Small fridge with a closet, the resorvoir is in closet, big fridge without closet and it is in front port hole window cubby. Not sure how you access in window, I have the model with it in the closet where it is easy to access. The window location is one trade off of getting the bigger three way fridge.

Alde is both heat and hot water, system heats glycol and that heat is transfered to the cabin heating and the hot water.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • TaiKahnTaiKahn Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for the quick and helpful response. I have the the big fridge, no closet. Thank you for confirming that the glycol reservoir is in the front port hole window. Access is extremely limited. Anyone know how to top off the glycol?        
  • qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    Austin at NuCamp did a YouTube video on locating the Alde tank on the 400 and other models. Topping off means get the same fluid as you have in your system. Likely Century Transfer Fluid. You will likely need a long funnel with a narrow neck and a small bottle. But use a strong light to identify the Min and Max lines so you can be sure need to add fluid.

https://youtu.be/WauzRYpGhhg

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    It looks like you need to use a #1 or #2 square headed screwdriver and remove the side panel to access the fill port.
    If the glycol is a little over the minimum line, you are good to go.

To heat the cabin, the Alde pumps the glycol to areas with metal fins that heat up.  Air moves through the wood cut out vents near the floor, flows over the fins and warm air then exits through the upper cut outs.  It is like radiator heat.  It takes a while to warm up an icy camper, but it is very quiet and comfortable.  Have you figured out the control panel?

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Couple other points:
    Get familiar with the Alde panel and its operations. It's fairly straight-forward but does require "interface intuition." 

If you're camping above 3000'MSL the Alde has a setting for high altitude. Cycle thru the menu and you'll see a "mountain" icon. Toggle that so it operates properly.

The heat radiates from a few locations. Extremely quiet but as mentioned, does take a bit to warm up so start early in the day...don't wait until it's chilly. The "radiators" are located along the back wall beneath the stargazer widow. You'll feel a small gap between the wall and an upholstered board that runs along the entire length of the bed. That's where the heat radiates...keep that open (bedding can block this). Also radiates from the gap below the galley window and the countertop, along the front wall beneath the table, in the porthole cubby where the Glycol tank is located (don't store anything in there that can melt...don't ask!) and in the head (the white vertical compartment immediately below the shower control knob). 

Again, be patient. The trade for not having to listen to a propane-fired blast furnace cycling on and off all night is that it does take time to heat the rig and the water. Make if the first thing you do when you get settled at your spot...much the same as you would do when you set up in the summer and fire up the A/C ASAP. Once warmed...it's heaven.

Alde system is awesome. Enjoy! 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    Alde FAQ.  With links to the manuals.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    If you are at all familiar with hot water baseboard heat (common in homes in the northeast US), the Alde works the same way to heat your T@B.
    2015 T@B S
  • gbartgbart Member Posts: 16
    @TaiKahn we have the same setup as you and found access to the glycol reservoir is extremely tight. In order to remove the two driver side screws (pictured above in @Sharon_is_SAM's picture) I used a small right-angle ratcheting screwdriver (Amazon.com: MulWark 20pc 1/4 Ultra Low Profile Mini Ratchet Wrench Close Quarters Screwdriver Set with High Torque - Right Angle EDC Tool with 90 Degree Mini Offset Reversible Drive Handle & Multi Hex Bits Set: Home Improvement) to loosen the screws and then used pliers to finish turning it out. I redrilled the holes at an angle when I reinstalled so it is easier to access next time. 
    Gary & Tracy, 2019 T@B 400BD, 2019 Ford Ranger2008 Jeep Liberty, Southern CA desert
  • TaiKahnTaiKahn Member Posts: 5
    To all who have responded, thank you very much for your help. I am deeply touched by your kindness and generosity, qualities appreciated even more in these extraordinary times. With your counsel and instruction, I think I am now prepared to enjoy my T@B 400 in chilly weather.