Options

New 12v Socket (320S)

4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
edited December 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
So, the stock locations for the 12v sockets were not very convenient when I needed to connect my 12v auxiliary fridge/freezer(indel B ). I normally set my out door kitchen up on the passenger side, where I would have access to the 120v, as well as the lagun table, and well, that’s how my side tent sets up. While boondocking, access to the 12v sockets either in the kitchen or by the bedside(driverside) just wasn’t cutting it.

Easy fix, cut Indelb supplied cable and extend with like kind wire gauge(10awg), soldered. Not so lucky...get out on 4 day trip, and I get low voltage errors and compressor won’t kick on🤦🏻‍♂️. One would think that matching the gauge would be fine, apparently not.

Back home, and planned to install a weather proof 12v bulkhead socket to the outside (near 120v). Nope not gonna happen, sidewalls are like 1 1/2” thick, bulkhead is 1” long. So, plan B: installed said bulkhead inside the tab, accessible via the luggage door. Wired in and we are good to go!

go!
TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
2018 320S Outback

Comments

• Options
    MarkitectMarkitect Member Posts: 16
    what did you wire this to? was it direct to the battery with an inline fuse? or to the fuse box in the trailer. I am wanting to add a fan back by the bed for comfort and wondering my options.
    Thank yu in advance for any information you may have.
    M
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    edited December 2020
    Markitect said:
    what did you wire this to? was it direct to the battery with an inline fuse? or to the fuse box in the trailer. I am wanting to add a fan back by the bed for comfort and wondering my options.
    Thank yu in advance for any information you may have.
    M
    Wired it back to the converter, and butt spliced the cable into the the 3rd 12v circuit which is the lighting & 12v outlet circuit(on my unit). I did not fuse the socket, as it is fused on the converter. My fridge is fused in the plug as well as on the unit it’s self.

A fan in back...hmmm🤔. I have a small usb fan, but something a bit larger could be if some use!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    stephengstepheng Member Posts: 109
    I would like to add a waterproof 12v socket on the battery tub. 
    Are the fused 12v circuits in the converter connected directly to the battery (through the fuses) or is there additional circuitry in the converter on the DC side?
    If not i’ll just connect a fused 12v socket directly to the battery. 
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,292
    edited January 2022
    @4ncar, have you considered tapping into the 12V supply for existing refrigerator? I removed my 3-way and power a 12V fridge on a pullout drawer from the lead that supplied power to the old fridge.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,292
    edited January 2022
    @stepheng, I added a 12v outlet in my tongue box with one of these from Amazon wired directly to the battery. I've used it to power a 2nd 12V cooler.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    stephengstepheng Member Posts: 109
    @AnOldUR Thanks for your post. That was what I thought I would do as it’s very convenient to connect directly to the battery. I plan to use it for a second 12v cooler as well. Just wanted to know if the converter also had some kind of voltage regulator for 12v supply in the trailer. 
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited January 2022
    @stepheng, the TaB’s power converter has fuses on the trailers 12VDC power systems, but the 12VDC is either provided by the battery or the unit’s power converter (changing 120VAC to 12VDC), which may be regulated, but power from the battery when not connected to shore power is unregulated.

Connecting your aux 12VDC socket with a fuse (as AnOld UR did) to the battery in the tub is fine, and a good way to get extra external aux power.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 181
    @4ncar, great idea. I'm looking to wire in a 12v LED light strip in that storage compartment with a switch. I wired in a 12v plug in my storage tub up front for my external frig/freezer (ICECO) and set in on top of tub when I get to camp. 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Options
    AnOldUR and @stepheng, I wired the same 12v plug you show in my tub. I have a 12v ICECO GO20 frig I run off the TV 12v. When I arrive at camp I take it out and set it on top of the storage tub. I had been running the 12v cord thru the front window but this is better. I ran it to a small 6 fuse covered fuse panel. I also installed an LED strip light in the tub with a rocker switch and also have a 12V unit for my trailer tire monitor all wired through it too. The panel uses those fuses that light up when they blow so kind of handy if one blows. Have it coming off a Victron Smart Shunt so can see the draws and it allowed me to dress up the wires a little too. 

More Smiles Per Mile! B)
  • Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 304
    AnOldUR and @stepheng, I wired the same 12v plug you show in my tub. I have a 12v ICECO GO20 frig I run off the TV 12v. When I arrive at camp I take it out and set it on top of the storage tub. I had been running the 12v cord thru the front window but this is better. I ran it to a small 6 fuse covered fuse panel. I also installed an LED strip light in the tub with a rocker switch and also have a 12V unit for my trailer tire monitor all wired through it too. The panel uses those fuses that light up when they blow so kind of handy if one blows. Have it coming off a Victron Smart Shunt so can see the draws and it allowed me to dress up the wires a little too. 

Do you have any photos of the install?
    elbolillo, here's some pics. 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)