Options

Electrical outlets not working on shore power

Just came back from 4th camping trip with 2016 320S that we bought used two years ago.  No outlet in the trailer worked when on shore power although USB and TV did as well as lights.   Thought it was the GFCI but when I got back home and plugged it into my home shore power everything was working again.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    edited December 2020
    I assume you mean no 120 v outlet worked.  How long did you camp?  What did you have your frig set on AC, propane?
    How do you know the campground power actually worked?  Did you run your A/C?  Was your frig only on shorepower?
    Are you sure you weren’t actually using your battery?  In which case your 120v outlets would not work, but all other appliances except the A/C would work.  
    Did you check the circuit breaker in the converter box?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @gfwarren, the USB, TV and lights run off the 12V DC power, so they will work without shore power.  Since the AC power worked at your home and no breakers were tripped while you were camping, my guess would be that the circuit breaker at the power pedestal where you were camping may have been turned off (or tripped?)  Just a guess since you did not mention if you had confirmed that there was power at the campground pedestal.  (Whenever I leave a campground, I always turn off the circuit breaker at the pedestal, because it is advisable to have the breaker "off" before you plug in your electrical cord, and that you only turn the breaker "on" after you have made your electrical connection between the trailer and the campground pedestal.)

I would recommend picking up an inexpensive AC outlet tester (the type with illuminated troubleshooting indicators), which will both confirm power at the pedestal and alert you to any potentially dangerous wiring issues (e.g., a non-existent or mis-wired ground.)  You want to test the pedestal power BEFORE you connect your trailer's power cord to the pedestal.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    Only a couple of things I can think of is 1) your shore power pedestal’s breaker tripped off, and what you were getting were things that were running on your 12V battery system.  2) if you have a power conditioning surge protector, it could have tripped sensing a mis-wired condition from the power pedestal.
  • Options
    gfwarrengfwarren Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the quick responses.  I did check all of the fuses in the converter box.  Maybe I was just running on 12 Volt DC battery power without any juice from the pedestal. Based on your responses, can't think of anything else.  Didn't try the AC and fridge was supposed to be running on shore power but guess what, it didn't get cold.  I've had a problem with the fridge since we bought it.
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    When folks say they checked all the fuses in the converter, realize all those small colored fuses are for 12v only. If you have a 120v issue you also or really instead need to check all the circuit breakers, either one of those were tripped or the one on the pedestal or I suppose there simply was no power getting to the pedestal.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite