Options

Has anybody retro-fitted an Alde Flow into a 2018 TAB 400 (Oct 2017 build date)

Hi,

I have a 2018 TAB 400 which does not have the Alde Flow system.  I think I will be popular with the wife if I can get the Flow system fitted as I understand it basically doubles the hot water flow for showering.  Has anybody done this?  Approximately what was the cost?  Are there any downsides to doing it? ...assuming it is possible.

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,527
    Which Alde do you have?  The 3010 or 3020?  I don’t know if you can have the Flo with the 3010.  Does anyone here have the Flo with the 3010?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited December 2020
    No Sharon, you need the Alde 3120 model to add the Flo.  Our Jan 2018 Tab 400 has a 3020, but the earlier TaB400s had the 3010.  We want to add the Flo to our TaB400 also, hopefully next year.

@RichardofYork, you can add a Flo if you have the Alde 3020 model.  When you turn on the Alde control panel, is will display the model number on startup.
    A member here did add the Flo to his late model 2018 TaB400.  Yiu can get the parts from nüCamp via a dealer.  Cost is around $900 for the Flo and required bits to connect the Flow to the Alde.  

You need to drill a hole in the floor and install another pressure relief valve for the Flo tank.  Everything else is straight plumbing, rerunning the water pies from the Alde to the Flo tank and then to the Alde (on the Alde cold water side. You also need physical space for the Flow tank next to the Alde (about where the sewer hose pipe is, and would need to be removed).  Try doing a search for Alde Flo to find the post that discusses this modification.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Did the sewer pipe location get changed when they added the flow at the factory? My 2019 has the sewer pipe, the 3020 and the flow all from the factory.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    The sewer drain hose pipe was in the 2019 and 2018 units, the Alde main boiler unit was shifted forward to allow room for the Flo.  It was eliminated when the Nautilus system was installed and more room was needed in the Driver’s side compartment.  See photos below:

This is a 2021 and Solo model layout with the Nautilus system added, note no sewer hose pipe across the back, instead the Flo (red tank) and batteries are in the space.

Above is the layout for the Alde with the Flo tank added, and below it is a 2019 without the Nautilus and with the sewer pipe holes, pipe has not been installed.
    cheers
  • Options
    Can someone with a TaB400 and the Flow tank, give me the width and length of the Flo tank, I want to see if a 2018 TaB400 has enough room between the Alde a d sewer hose pipe.
    cheers
  • Options
    TabulatingTabulating Member Posts: 84
    Flow Dimensions
    Width  225 mm
    Length  320 mm (Without pump and connections)
    Height  180 mm

I added the Alde Flow to our 2018 400.  We have the 3020 model, which is a must; the 3010 does not support a Flow box.  I mounted Flow in front of the Alde main box.  I built a small shelf for it to sit upon that would allow it to clear the wiring and plumbing below.

I had to cut the electrical supply cord to the Alde to install a plug that makes a 90 degree turn right out of the outlet.  I considered moving the outlet, but this solution was simpler and less unsightly.  Cutting that very think and hard to replace cord was the most stressful point.  However, once I cut it, it was a non-factor.

We now have unlimited hot water when we have full hook-ups.  It is was well worth the effort.  I don't think there are many camp showers that can compare to the 400 shower with the Flow box. When in use it does warm the bed a bit.  

I got the parts directly from NuCamp by driving there to pick them up.

You shouldn't need to remove the sewer storage tube.  I do not believe the Flow Box would fit between the tube and the main Alde unit in our camper.  I had considered moving the Alde forward a couple of inches to allow it to fit. It appeared to only require loosening some screws.  But, in the end it was really easy to mount the Flow to the front of the main unit.

As far as the second pressure relief valve being needed, I bought one when I got the rest of the parts.  Some of the diagrams from Alde depict two, others only one.  But, based upon blowing into the check-valves and other plumbing, I was installing, I determined it was not needed.  Ultimately, the engineering diagram, does NOT have an extra one; I feel the engineering diagram is more directive and illustrations. I tried to upload the Flow manuals.

To get the fluid out for installation: put a clamp on the drain line near the back of the Tab.  Remove plug and add a short length of tube.  Put tube in jug and undo the clamp.  At some point, remove the two lines from the reservoir in the closet and blow into both of them.  NOW, the most important part!  Get your shop vac on.  Hold the nozzle next to one of the connections to the Alde.  EASE the tube off until it starts to bleed a little.  Now just suck the goo away before it can drip to the floor.  If you don't do this, you will get up to a half gallon of anti-freeze on the floor of your camper.

One last thing, buy a Knipex lockable snap ring pliers.  There is one in the photos below.  This install would have required many more blue words without it.

Here are some photos:

Box installed, but connections need to be made. Moment of truth for electrical plan.

Height of shelf support mounted right in front of Alde

2018 T@b 400  towed by a 2012 JKU