Options

Cookware: conventional or camp style?

I've been out with my T@B twice now.  First trip I used a bulky camp cookware set that probably dates to the 1970s, I found it unwieldy on the small stove in my trailer.  Second trip I took a cheap backpacking cookset that I have also had for a very long time; it is cheap and I didn't like using it in the trailer.  So, I am considering purchasing cookware.  I'm wondering if people tend to just use conventional cookware or if there is a camp cookware you use (and like).  I have been browsing GSI's website for hours (yes, I suffer from analysis paralysis, LOL).
2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
"Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,493
    edited December 2020
    I found conventional pots took up too much space in the 320s cabinets. So my cookware is all collapsible or has removable handles. Unfortunately my pots are no longer made, but they’re similar to the GSI or Sea to Summit ones. Going this route means I can fit two pots with lids (1 qt & 3 qt), a 3 qt mixing/serving bowl, and a 10” frying pan + lid, all into a fairly small space. I ended up paying a bit more than I wanted to bring a collapsible stovetop kettle over from the UK because most of those available domestically are too small and poor quality. (I have an older collapsible electric kettle from Gourmia that’s great if you camp with a power source, that’s showing in the pic.)

2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    edited December 2020
    We use a nesting GSI set that we've had for years and have been really happy with it. It has pots and pans with lids, and 4 each of insulated mugs with lids, cups that double as bowls, and plates. The whole kit fits inside an old Dutch oven that we use for larger meals. 
    https://www.backcountry.com/gsi-outdoors-pinnacle-camper-cookset
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    rhyno said:
    We have a nesting GSI set and have been really happy with it.
    https://www.backcountry.com/gsi-outdoors-pinnacle-camper-cookset
    I've been looking at that exact set!
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    @PNWtabber - we highly recommend it! Here's a good link that has a comparison between the bugaboo and pinnacle sets. The Teflon radiance coating has really held up over the years.
    https://outdoorcrunch.com/backpacking-mess-kit/
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    A few years ago I got a great deal on T Fall ingenio...similar to Magma...it has a detachable handle...all the pots (3) are stacking, have lids and also plastic lids for storing in a fridge/ cooler, they also can be used on in an induction cooktop, perfect for inside the clamshell. They also are my mixing bowls for making pancakes/ banana bread.  Besides that I bring a dutch oven/frypan, it has small handles on the sides. Also this year " Santa" has brought me an Omnia oven... can't wait to test it out! We eat as well out on the road as we do at home!

Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I have a personalized collection of collapsible, GSI & MSR pots pans & plates I have been collecting for years. It’s a hodgepodge or trial & error from my back parking days. The most recent addition is a ceramic fry pan. It all nests together and fits under the sink.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    edited December 2020
    I have a Primus set that I like but this has been the most useful pot for its big volume with a small footprint: Kuhn Rikon 4th Burner Pot with Glass Lid and Steam basket 12 cup
    https://amzn.to/3aDyTqF

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    I use a mix, but I have pretty good storage space on our 2018 T@B 400. I bought nice, cheap stainless pots and pans at a thrift store, have a collapsible teapot and dishpan, and have a few specialized cooking items for the camper that don't require electricity, like the thermal crockpot, Melitta carafe, and the Omnia oven. They all fit in the cabinet next to the 2-way fridge. I keep a small Coleman grill in the outside storage area (underbed area). 
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,493
    edited December 2020
    ontheroad said:
    A few years ago I got a great deal on T Fall ingenio...similar to Magma...it has a detachable handle...all the pots (3) are stacking, have lids and also plastic lids for storing in a fridge/ cooler, they also can be used on in an induction cooktop, perfect for inside the clamshell. They also are my mixing bowls for making pancakes/ banana bread.  Besides that I bring a dutch oven/frypan, it has small handles on the sides. Also this year " Santa" has brought me an Omnia oven... can't wait to test it out! We eat as well out on the road as we do at home!

Is your Ingenio set the stainless steel one then? Most of them are aluminum and not compatible with induction, but the stainless one I saw didn’t have nonstick on the saucepans, only the frying pans.

Looking for a new set for my home kitchen...nesting, removable handles, and stainless + nonstick on all pieces would be ideal if I could find it. Ingenio Expertise comes closest, aluminum but induction compatible. Hmmmm.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    A better alternative is porcelain coated cookware, we replaced all out costed non-stick with porcelain or porcelain coated cookware, which does not chip, peel, or wear away like non-stick stuff does.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    DerecoDereco Member Posts: 89
    We bought the GSI set for our Tab and backgrountry hiking, and mix-and-match pieces as needed. So far, so good. 
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @VictoriaP.. it's the stainless steel...when we got the induction cooktop it had a magnet in the packaging so you could test your pans...it worked.. doesn't work with our frypan though...at least if it's raining outside we can do soup and sandwiches...eventually we'll look for a frypan that is compatible..although we could start carrying a cast iron frypan as it works with the cooktop's magnet...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    SubaruLouSubaruLou Member Posts: 119
    The only way I can get my family to go camping with me is to feed them well. I splurged on the Magma ceramic coated induction set. So far I’m happy with it and love how they all fit together. 
    2019 T@B 320 S  |  2019 Subaru Ascent