Options

Question: I drained the Alde and the drainage was pink. What does that mean?

Background: I'm the 2nd owner of a 2014 T@B 320 S that was garage kept for 4 out of the last 6 years. When I inspected the Alde reservoir tank, the fluid was yellow and 1/2 way between min/max levels. The Alde service record was blank, so I assumed it had been running on 6+ year old glycol. I bought the T@B from a dealer who does not know Alde's, did not check the Alde reservoir, or perform any maintenance on the Alde. The Alde was 'working' before I drained/flushed/replaced the fluid today. 
Problem/Question: When I drained the Alde - by opening the clamp and removing the brass plug behind the driver's side wheel - the fluid that drained out was pink. I tilted the trailer towards the back to make sure it was empty and confirmed that the reservoir was empty. I flushed the system by adding a cup of new Century TF-1 fluid to the reservoir and that drained out yellow. My main concern is that the original fluid was pink and I'm not sure what that means. Was there cross contamination? Did the old fluid change colour? Had someone used pink anti-freeze and then topped it up with the correct yellow fluid? Is that why the fluid in the reservoir was yellow, but the fluid in the system was ping? Should I assume things are ok now?
Current Status: After flushing, I put the brass plug back in and refilled up to the max line with just over 1 gallon of Century TF-1. I have the Alde running and am going out to check how it's doing and to top it up to the max line, if needed. I feel more confident that the Alde is in a known good state and that we'll be ready to take that T@B out for a shake out trip soon. 
2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada

Comments