Multiple Renogy solar Panel / suitcases : with or without standard charge controller?

Hello
Looking for some sage advice here...
Incoming (April) 2021 TAB 320 S Boondock, planning to really beef up the battery and solar setup for extended off grid camping.
The plan is (2) of the new battle Born self-heating 100 Ah 12 volt Lithium batteries wired in parallel and (2) Renogy 100 watt Eclipse solar suitcases.
The suitcases are available with - or without - the standard, onboard charge controller.
Since there are 2 panels and 2 batteries, should I NOT buy the panels with each having a controller - and instead buy a single, higher end (MPPT) controller to install farther down the signal path? Renogy makes a number of these at different price points, which would be the best for this system?
How does the existing factory roof-mount solar panel figure in to this equation?

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,484
    Regarding combining the factory installed solar with the solar suitcases:  it would require an upgraded MPPT controller and clever wiring as the MPPT for the installed solar is under the rear bench.  I think most folks who have elected to supplement their rooftop solar just use a separate controller for the suitcases.

You can arrange the wiring for the 2 suitcases to use with a secondary controller that can be plug and play right near the batteries.  You can use one suitcase at a time or both.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited December 2020
    That is how we are setting up our TaB 400 with factor solar.  Added two folding portable solar panels, and a second Victron MPPT controller for the portable panels, and you network the two so,ar controllers together, but each has its own connection to the battery.  Using a Zamp connector on the side of the TaB for the portable panels.  A second MPPT 75-15 was also less $ than buying the larger controller.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    I bought a second MPPT 75-15 and plan on using a Zamp connector as well on my TaB400 Boondock just and @Denny16 discribed.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • walltpwalltp Member Posts: 2
    Sharon_is_SAM could you provide more detail regarding above "You can arrange the wiring for the 2 suitcases to use with a secondary controller that can be plug and play right near the batteries.  You can use one suitcase at a time or both."

Thanks.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2014 Dodge Grand Caravan
    edited December 2020
    You wire the panels in parallel that connect to an extension that connects to the controller.  You can have pigtails that come off the battery and off the controller for an easy connect and you don’t need to mount the controller - just connect it when you use the panels.  I think there is a picture of this set up here on the forum.

Check out this thread on portable solar:  https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/7432/our-portable-solar-suitcase-setup/p1
  • rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    +1 for @Denny16 plan. Networking dual Victron controllers installed inside the Tab looks to be the most tidy, efficient and cost-effective route I have seen on the forum. If we decide to upgrade our solar capacity we'll be doing the same. 
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • TheTabsterTheTabster Member Posts: 9
    OK, I understand that adding the 2 solar suitcases - with their own in-line MPPT charge controller > and then to the (replacement) Lithium battery or batteries is a working "circuit" of its own. In this scenario, there is no attempt made to integrate this aftermarket setup into the existing solar package on a 2021 TAB 320 S BD: the 105 watt roof panel and the existing charge controller and inverter. I feel like I'm missing something here - can these operate independently of each other? Will I need a beefier inverter? If so, where?
    The factory installed solar and the portable solar system will charge the battery independent of each other.  So, you decide if you need to set up the additional portable panels to hasten charging or to use with less desirable conditions.