Newbie storage question

OyajiOyaji Member Posts: 16
edited January 13 in Tips & Tricks
I just got my new 320S home and took it out to the local storage place, which is outdoor although on concrete.  Is there an issue with storing my trailer with the tongue jack caster in place (and rear wheels chocked) --as opposed to removing the caster and installing a tongue jack foot?  

Comments

  • HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 105
    I would store with a trailer wheel donut under the caster wheel.
    Rich
    2019 [email protected] 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander
    Bellingham WA
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 949
    edited January 13
    Yup. I usually prefer using:

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002R0J3MC

    ...(even though I'd prefer a heavier rubber version) instead of the flat tongue jack stand, since the wheel extends down further, so there's less rotating of the jack required.  I only use the flat jack if I have to be level on an uphill and the wheel is too long.
    2014 328d diesel wagon, 2017 [email protected] S Max, Austin TX

  • ScottGScottG Moderator Posts: 3,923
    No issues other than an increased possibility of your trailer creeping around if the chocks come loose. A foot or wheel donut will add an extra level of roll resistance.

    If you're a real belt-and-suspenders type you could even drop the stabilizers when parked. Many of us do that as an added anti-theft measure but it also keeps the unit firmly planted (particularly if you plan to go in and out of it while in storage).
  • CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 69
    ScottG said:
    . . .
    If you're a real belt-and-suspenders type you could even drop the stabilizers when parked. Many of us do that as an added anti-theft measure but it also keeps the unit firmly planted (particularly if you plan to go in and out of it while in storage).
    Would this also take some weight off the tires, helping prevent flat spots?
    2021 [email protected] 320 S Boondock (on the way) / 2008 XC-90 V8 Sport
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Moderator Posts: 6,700
    We store inside on a concrete floor.  We leave the wheel in place so the TaB can be moved by the facility if necessary.  No harm to the jack wheel.
    Sharon / 2017 [email protected] CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ScottGScottG Moderator Posts: 3,923
    CharlieRN said:
    ScottG said:
    . . .
    If you're a real belt-and-suspenders type you could even drop the stabilizers when parked. Many of us do that as an added anti-theft measure but it also keeps the unit firmly planted (particularly if you plan to go in and out of it while in storage).
    Would this also take some weight off the tires, helping prevent flat spots?
    I don't think I would crank them down tight enough to take any significant weight off the tires, as that could be asking for other troubles.

    My impression is that the oft-expressed concern about "flat spots" is highly over-rated for modern radial tires that get seasonal use. YMMV. 
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 301
    ScottG said:
    CharlieRN said:
    ScottG said:
    . . .
    If you're a real belt-and-suspenders type you could even drop the stabilizers when parked. Many of us do that as an added anti-theft measure but it also keeps the unit firmly planted (particularly if you plan to go in and out of it while in storage).
    Would this also take some weight off the tires, helping prevent flat spots?
    I don't think I would crank them down tight enough to take any significant weight off the tires, as that could be asking for other troubles.

    My impression is that the oft-expressed concern about "flat spots" is highly over-rated for modern radial tires that get seasonal use. YMMV. 
    What possible issues?  

    My passenger side tire went flat and those two stabilizers got pretty tight.  When I initially parked, they were just lightly touching the concrete.

    Any damage in particular I should look for?
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 [email protected] 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Member Posts: 1,684
    Here is a Bal stabilizer brochure that shows the installation process.  They are pretty basic, three or four bolts.  It should be easy to spot if the bolts have worked loose or any of the moving parts have warped.  The stabilizers are pretty robust:  each is rated for "load capacity" (not lift!) 1000 lbs each.
    There were "robust" discussions about using the stabilizers for support and the tongue jack to lift the trailer for tire changing a few years ago.  The stabilizers worked for me in that manner just fine, but I would be very cautious to prevent any motion of the trailer with that method.

    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • ScottGScottG Moderator Posts: 3,923
    @Tampkayaker, I'm just speculating. The attachment points for the stabilizers are not necessarily designed to carry the weight of the trailer. That doesn't mean using them as such will cause damage. 

    For servicing purposes, I still use the no-longer-recommended method of raising the wheel using only the rear stabilizers and tongue jack. Others have gone so far as to replace their stabilizers with actual jacks and use them to level the camper. (I still think that is pushing your luck but thus far I'm unaware of any damage cause by doing this, so to each their own.)

    In short, I don't think you have anything to worry about from your brief episode of tight stabilizer syndrome!  :-)

    I should note I'm talking about 320s here. 400s are considerably heavier and may be more susceptible to damage from improper loading of the stabilizers.
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 301
    ScottG said:
    @Tampkayaker, I'm just speculating. The attachment points for the stabilizers are not necessarily designed to carry the weight of the trailer. That doesn't mean using them as such will cause damage. 

    For servicing purposes, I still use the no-longer-recommended method of raising the wheel using only the rear stabilizers and tongue jack. Others have gone so far as to replace their stabilizers with actual jacks and use them to level the camper. (I still think that is pushing your luck but thus far I'm unaware of any damage cause by doing this, so to each their own.)

    In short, I don't think you have anything to worry about from your brief episode of tight stabilizer syndrome!  :-)

    I should note I'm talking about 320s here. 400s are considerably heavier and may be more susceptible to damage from improper loading of the stabilizers.
    Thanks ScottG and pthomas745.

    Stabilizers look OK.  I was more concerned about warping the [email protected] frame.

    Currently I have that side jacked up and resting on wood blocks (under that tiny jacking point L angle bar) until I can remove the tire and take it to a shop Friday after my DR appointment.  I didn't see anything stuck in the tire and couldn't hear any escaping air after I re-inflated it.  At first I thought the valve was leaking but I sprayed it with soapy water and didn't see any bubbles.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 [email protected] 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
Sign In or Register to comment.