Options

State of Charge not reading correctly on the Victron 712

I am still totally confused by the battery and victron set up. The victron is reading a continually decreasing SOC -now 27% but the volts is 14+ and I shut the battery off and let is sit a few hours and our hand volt meter reads 14 as well. We got the camper used- it is a 2018 but pretty sure it is one 12V not 2 6V and the info on the battery shows it has a C235 capacity not 200 so we did set the meter for that. The 27% makes me nervous but there are not other indications that is correct. The victron also does not seem to be showing charges going into the battery ever.  Is there a setting that might be wrong?   Are we not checking the battery correctly?  Are there any basic instruction videos on understanding this whole system better.  The ones I have found are still beyond my current knowledge level.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    edited January 2021
    Can you give us a screenshot?  400 or 320?  Solar?  Inverter?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Sounds like one of your Victron battery monitor settings is incorrect.  We have a single 12VDC AGM and get accurate readings so far.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    kteichertkteichert Member Posts: 21
    I can see if I can figure out how to screen shot the read out- it is a 400 with factory solar and the Pure Sine Wave Inverter

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    What is your build date.  We also have a Jan 2018 TaB400, factory Solar and inverter, built just before the change to two 6VDC batteries.  The original 235 amp AGM battery failed the original owner after about 18 months.  We added the Victron to prevent another battery failure issue.  The original factory battery was replaced by an Interstate 200 Amp AGM, same physical size as the factory battery.   
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    kteichertkteichert Member Posts: 21
    Thanks- it is the down side of getting it used as I don't know how the previous owner managed it.  Do you know how you can tell if the battery has failed?  If our hand held volt meter is measuring 14V could the battery still be bad?

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    If it is measuring 14v on your meter it would indicate charging or plugged in.  Are you on shore power?  Is the trailer and solar panel in the sun?  What is running in the trailer?
    So..unplug from shore power, if plugged in.  Turn everything off in the trailer so there is as little load as possible on the battery.  Then see what the multimeter says.
    Look for the "Setup" wheel in the upper right of the Victron app screen.  All the settings for the battery are there.
    Open up your battery compartment and make sure of the battery specs. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi