Options

Outback/Boondock Storage Platform on Dutchman/Al-Ko Frame

Hello all! Owned a 2006 Dutchman T@b for over 5 years now, and lurked on the forum for years getting ideas for modifications and help with certain issues. I've read everything I can on this, but can't find the answer: will the front aluminum storage platform that now is standard on the 320 Boondock (and formerly on the Outback) compatible with the Dutchman/Al-Ko frame? I'm not sure if the front tongue angles/dimensions ever changed after the frames were provided by Dexter rather than Al-Ko (I am aware that Dexter owns Al-Ko). I'd like to add a front platform to my trailer and would love the standard Boondock platform if it fits. It may even come down to measuring it, if that is something that can easily be done. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited January 2021
    Someone needs to measure a 320 and give you the length of the rails from the coach to the point they meet, and the width between them where they meet the trailer frame, then you can compare thst measurement with your Dutchman TaB.
    I think you are going to find, it might not fit, as they are two different frames, with different angles from what I understand.

Also, you need to determine if the Dutchman frame at the tongue can support the additional weight.  A call to nüCamp customer support might get you the answer.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    jmars035jmars035 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Denny! I am wondering if the dimensions changed when the axles were no longer sourced from Al-Ko, but I didn't know if there was someone who has just already done it (or tried!) and can answer definitively without resorting to tape measures. Not worried about adding weight up there; the frame has more than enough strength and tongue weight is generally more a factor of overall load out and tow vehicle capability. Also, the design of the factory platforms actually adds the weight pretty far back from the hitch, so as not to throw off the balance too far, which is one of the main reasons I want to use it. 
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    The Al-Ko frame won't hold the platform, totally different frame construction and size. Non-clamshell models can hold the box though. Also, you have so little extra weight capability with the 1939 lb frame, that you shouldn't add too much anyway.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Thanks Mousketab! I was hoping someone knew for sure that it would/wouldn't work out of the box. I guess I'll have to look into having one custom fabricated. I should mention that the platform isn't so I can add more weight to the trailer (I basically bring the same stuff every time), but rather to have the ability to transport things outside, such as a bin for blocks/cords/etc and not always have it on my floor. While I have it apart, I also want to add the diamond plating that goes along the front (behind the tub; I believe standard on all new models), as it seems like that edge picks up a lot of dings from road debris, though I assume I can have a piece of that sourced locally and curved to fit. Thanks all for the help!  
  • Options
    KimballKimball Member Posts: 6
    Jmars… did you ever find a trailer platform/tongue box.
    ive been looking for a couple years for a box to fit.
    will soon start looking for a fabricator. I am in CA.
  • Options
    Kimball - As I looked and looked, it seemed like the factory options were either not going to work or cost between $700-1000 for what I was after. Then I found the thread below, and I'm so glad I did. I got the exact box (48" truck box from Tractor Supply), modified and mounted it. I also installed the diamond plating behind as I mentioned I wanted to. I finished the project just prior to a 17-day trip to the "big 5" national parks in Utah (plus the GC and Great Basin) and it worked absolutely spectacularly. I'm really, really glad I did it. Everything stays dry, clean, and out of my trailer stored in the box. Take a look at this thread (read it all), and see if it's something you may want. I couldn't be happier!

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/13644/tongue-box/p1

• Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    edited October 2021
    @jmars035 ... Glad to hear that my post helped someone out. Here's an update that may interest you. I upgraded to two group 31, 125Ah batteries and had to do some rearranging in the box, but everything fit with room to spare for the other stuff that rides in there. Also mounted a Victron controller for a solar suitcase in there and put a port on the side of the box.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    AnOldUR, your thread saved me a lot of trouble on this project, from sourcing the box, to knowing how many vents (and where to order them from!). I discussed it with the Mrs, and we both decided it's the single-best mod we did to the trailer to date. Unlike you, I did use plywood under the box for support, but that was based on how much time I had and the fact that my trailer doesn't see much rain (it's wintered indoors). I like your dual battery mod; next year I'll be upgrading to a 100ah unit which is really all I need for the majority of my trips. It stays mostly topped off with my 100w panels, plus I have my Honda EU2200i just in case. I think I also may get a small (~1.5 gallon) propane tank, as the 20# lasts longer than a year and is overkill, plus would open up even more room. 

I saw several T@bs on my lengthy trip; some with the Outback/Boondock style platform and each seemed like there was a struggle to decide how to pack items on each platform. One had small diamond plate boxes on each side, which didn't look spacious or cost effective. Another had plastic bins on each side which looked good, but again, limited in room. Very, very happy with my final product; can't thank you enough for how thorough your write up was.