Options

New "Thermostatic" Mixing Valve

The new hotness over on the FB page is this new mixing valve design that is apparently showing up in the latest trailers:
An owner contacted Alde and got a response about how to adjust it.  They claim it is not adjustable.

"Thank you for your interest in Truma and/or Alde products.
The Speedfit Thermostatic Mixing Valve (TMV) is not able to be adjusted.
Best Regards,
Rob Mikula
Customer Care Associate
t: 1-855-558-7862 x316 e:

NuCamp responded this morning with "another" answer:
We are just checking to see if you were able to resolve this issue.
If not, please try the following: Remove the red cap from the mixing valve, turn it upside down and use it as an adjustment tool.
Turn the spindle clockwise to lower the mixed water temperature.
Turn the spindle counterclockwise to raise the temperature.
If you need any additional information, please contact our Customer Service department at 844-823-9112 EXT 834. We hope that helps!

Link to the Alde page:

2017 Outback
Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi

Comments

• Options
    ClearClear Member Posts: 4
    Thanks pthomas745 for the update & how to adjust the new Alde Speedfit Mixing Valve. My new 320S had this valve installed (build date 12/7/20). There is no mention in Alde manual on how to adjust. 

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    If we could just get to the trailer to see which is under our bed..spring is just around the corner! It looks great and love the idea of not having to get a screwdriver to do it! Thanks for posting!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Here is a screen grab of the English section of the PDF instructions for the valve.
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I am a bit dismayed at seeing the Alde 120v outlet installed UNDER the mixing valve! If it were me, I would be relocating that outlet promptly.

TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Ditto @4ncar's comment.  I also find it interesting that the Truma/Alde rep said that "Speedfit" is not adjustable, yet their own instructions describe how to adjust it (consistent with nuCamp's response posted above.)
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    edited February 2021
    Does anyone know if this new mixing valve can be overadjusted? Since there is no screw to remove as with the old mixing valve to remove/replace the handle and adjust by additional turns, is there a chance the adjustment screw in this new valve will just pop out and blast hot water everywhere?
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @rhyno someone needs to be a test case :)
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @rhyno - can you provide a picture of the new valve with the red cap removed?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    @Sharon_is_SAM - I do not have a pic since our T@B is still being built. The red cap inverts to become the adjustment tool and I've heard that the screw is all metal but have not seen a pic personally. My hope is that it has a hard stop at fully closed or fully open.
  • Options
    ClearClear Member Posts: 4

For @Sharon_is_SAM. These are some photos of the Mixing valve. The red cap comes off fairly easy & without tools. Get your finger tips under it & pull upwards. Turned nut counterclockwise there appears to be a stop. Clockwise it will turn a good way into valve. The red plastic cap has a triangle shaped indent. It is shallow & fits the six sided nut a little sloppy. The cap can easily slip off the nut while turning as evidenced by the scratches on cap top. I used a 4" adjustable wrench & it worked effortlessly. My 320S is new & winterized at this time. I haven't been able to function check/test the water systems yet as I'm in Ohio & won't de winterize till early May. Hope this info was of some help.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @Clear - thanks for the pics!  I can see a need for a hardier adjustment tool in the future!  But, typically, you usually only need to adjust the valve once and then you are good to go.  So, maybe not.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thanks @Clear! That's one more concern to check off the list while we wait for delivery.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Thanks for the "real world" report!
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Good information and added it to my favorites list for future reference.  👍🏻
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    I still would advise relocating the 120 outlet that supports the Alde.  Water & electricity don't mix(no pun intended!)!😒
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    @4ncar - there are a few spots where I question the mixing of mounting locations and runs for plumbing and electricity. Potential hazards abound!
  • Options
    On my'18 320S things are "ok" but this new mixing valve/120v outlet is too much!  The biggest complaint, as I was a professional wireman, is the wire routing & dress work(or lack there of.  I have fixed what I can, and live with the rest.  Love my Tab, don't get me wrong!
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited March 2022
    Yes 4ncar, seems a little odd to have the AC box and circuit so close to the water pipe/mixing vale setup.  On boats I have owned or worked on, wiring is very organized and meticulously done, DC and AC separated, and multiple pulls color coded and grouped together, all strapped down, no loose wires.  
    While nüCamp does use wire runs for some of the wire routing, it could improve some of the routing practices and reduce or eliminate many of the loose wires in some areas.  The 2020/2021 TaB400s have better organized DC wiring combing from the battery to a junction box rather than multiple connections to the battery as was the case in 2108 and early 2019 TaB 400s.   
    So there have been improvements in some areas but the AC wiring still needs some improvements and better organization, especially at keeping AC circuits away from water plumbing runs/connections.
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    rhyno said:
    Does anyone know if this new mixing valve can be overadjusted? Since there is no screw to remove as with the old mixing valve to remove/replace the handle and adjust by additional turns, is there a chance the adjustment screw in this new valve will just pop out and blast hot water everywhere?
    I received my replacement mixer valve today and I have confirmed that the valve will NOT pop out if you turn it too far. Turning the valve as far as it will go counterclockwise raises the temperature and it stops when its maxed out.  Turning it clockwise lowers the temp and it stops when the valve has been completed seated down inside the valve.   First pic is with it on maximum hot temp (fully out).  Second pic is maximum lowest temp (Fully in).