Newbie and seeking “checklist” of essentials

BclarkeBclarke Member Posts: 110
Hello ... I am taking delivery next week of our new T@B 320 S Boondock.   After spending countless hours in this forum and online with videos etc I am trying to determine what I really need (or don’t) to begin our adventures.  The salesman’s advice is “try it a few times before you start buying” which seems like good advice.  However I know that there are some essentials (example water hose) that I do need to consider. I have been keeping a list but I really don’t know what would be considered the basic “must haves.”  I would appreciate any guidance!   Thank you 

Comments

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,392
    edited January 2021
    Welcome, Bclarke. +1 what the salesman said--you really don't need that much to get started. Your camper may already come with some of the basic accessories. 

You are right that you will want a potable water hose if you plan to camp with hookups. You will also need a pressure regulator for said hose, as well as sewer dump hose, but my T@B came with cheap but serviceable versions of these last two items, as well as a decent 30A RV power cord and 15/20A adapter. If you plan on dry camping (i.e. camping without hookups) a jug to fill your water tank is useful. 

You will also want something to chock the wheels, and in many cases level the camper. There are a host of fancy options but I've gotten by for six seasons with scrap lumber.

When I started, that was the extent of my added equipment--I bought little else that first year. I should probably admit I knew very little about RVing at the time, but ignorance was indeed bliss and I survived nicely.  :-) 
    2015 T@B S
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    edited January 2021
    Fuses for Newbies. Start a collection. 
    Your Alde manual.  Most likely the 3020.
    Make sure you have a copy of your fridge manual, when you find out the model number.
    Your "must haves" for the first trip would be very dependent on "where are you going to camp"?  If you are at a campsite with water hookups right away, get a hose.  If not, just wait.  The hose I bought a long time ago is still in the wrapper...since I've only been at a "full service" campsite twice and didn't use it.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Most dealers set you up with the basic accessories, like water hookup hose and sewer discharge hose (which you might want to upgrade to a better quality hose).  You should add an inline water filter and pressure regulator if you  camp in areas with water hookup.  You should use the filter and pressure regulator when filling the water tanks, so both are good to have for any camping situations.  

A clear 45-degree sewer hose adapter between the trailer and sewer hose is nice to have to see when the tank is empty.  You can use a garden hose adapter and hose to drain the gray water tank, but it takes a lot longer to do this way.

For electrical, the TaB comes with a standard RV 30-amp cable.  You may want to add a 30/20amp pigtail power adapter to plug the trailer in at home or areas without the 30 am hookup.  Also a power surge protector box between external power hookup and trailer is good insurance for bad power pedestals, in some RV parks.  If boondocking only, you can forgo the surge protector.

You will of course need the galley bits and bedding, bathroom stuff, and RV toilet paper or a good quality one that is approved for septic systems.  

Happy Camper RV tank treatment in the Cassette toilet works quite well instead of traditional RV toilet chemicals, and helps beak down the waste in addition to controlling odors.  You can use it in the gray tank also, and is 100-percent biodegradable.

This should get you started.  Happy camping and welcome aboard!
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • BclarkeBclarke Member Posts: 110
    Thank you ScottG, pthomas745 and Denny16.  Your insights and suggestions are very much appreciated!  
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    For your electrical hook up kit, include some form of surge suppressor. You may get sticker shock, but don’t skimp. Rv parks are notorious for their sometimes overly taxed power grids. 
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    I highly recommend driveway camping, first in 'shore power' mode and then in boondocking mode. Getting familiar your T@B with running on electric power takes time in itself and then running without shore power and just on battery/propane is completely different. For example, you might discover problem and tricks like this, which I am encountering in my driveway, as I write this: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/155444#Comment_155444
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    edited January 2021
    4ncar said:
    For your electrical hook up kit, include some form of surge suppressor. You may get sticker shock, but don’t skimp. Rv parks are notorious for their sometimes overly taxed power grids. 
    This is a big expense that isn't really necessary unless @Bclarke camps at parks with electrical hookups. 

The "must haves" really depend on how a person plans to use their T@B. What kind of camping do you plan to do @Bclarke
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    Thanks all!   In reality our plan is to avoid the RV parks so to speak and boondock as much as we can.  My wife is a bit hesitant about all of this but is a good sport. Our kids live out west (MT and ID) so lots of options for a night or two here and there. Given COVID avoiding a hotel is important so we will use this to and from our home near Chicago as we travel to see them. Even as we stay in camps I would really like to be in the tent / no services sections. Our little TaB is no match for the larger RV neighbors.  We settled in the TaB 320 S given the short duration of our “stays”.  
    edited January 2021
    I agree with you about preferring the tent areas to the RV lots. Will your new 320 have solar? If not, the biggest challenge you may face with that plan is having sufficient battery power, particularly whereas I believe you will have a 2-way fridge that does not offer the option of running on propane.

That said, if you are conservative with power usage and drive long enough between stops to recharge you battery (and your tow vehicle is capable enough to do so) you still may be able to get by if your stays are limited to a night or two.
    2015 T@B S
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Bclarke said:
    Thanks all!   In reality our plan is to avoid the RV parks so to speak and boondock as much as we can.  My wife is a bit hesitant about all of this but is a good sport. Our kids live out west (MT and ID) so lots of options for a night or two here and there. Given COVID avoiding a hotel is important so we will use this to and from our home near Chicago as we travel to see them. Even as we stay in camps I would really like to be in the tent / no services sections. Our little TaB is no match for the larger RV neighbors.  We settled in the TaB 320 S given the short duration of our “stays”.  

If you’re going to Boondock, the single most important "must have" is a way to recharge your battery. Do you have a plan for that? 
    If possible, I'd try camping in the trailer in your driveway or a nearby park for a day or two to figure out other must haves (cooking, comfort). Many of us find that the stock cushions are too firm to be comfortable for sleeping. Some people use a foam topper, some people use Thermarest style self inflating mattresses. If your wife is not fully on board I'd figure out the comfort thing PDQ. 
    Here are a couple of lists that I've been putting together. They're not comprehensive - they are just things that I have purchased that worked for me. (Disclaimer: I get a very small commission from purchases through these links, but feel free to shop around and get the best deal for yourself).

T@B outside stuff
    T@B inside stuff
    Other T@B stuff

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    @Marceline that is an excellent collection of stuff, newbie or not!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    @Marceline this is very helpful... down to the teardrop trailer salt / pepper shakers!   LOL   Seriously... thank you.  

You asked about recharging my battery.. that is a great question.  We do have solar but many of the places we will go are in the trees.  I loath the use of a generator .. and while I know I can always start the car I am wondering about some sort of portable power station battery backup to charge the battery .. not sure if such a thing exists. 
  • Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    ScottG said:
    I agree with you about preferring the tent areas to the RV lots. Will your new 320 have solar? If not, the biggest challenge you may face with that plan is having sufficient battery power, particularly whereas I believe you will have a 2-way fridge that does not offer the option of running on propane.
    @ScottG - I didn't know the 2021 T@B 320 Boondocks only have 2-way fridges. What is the logic there?
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
    The 12VDC Compressor fridge is far more efficient at keeping food cold with a minimum battery drain.  We went two days and ine night on battery only, and the battery never dropped below 70% charge.  Food stayed at 45-degrees, even during 80 degree day time temps.
    cheers
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Insure your tow vehicle's tire lug wrench works with the T@B (my Ford lugs are a different size than the T@B's).  Have a backup plan in case nothing in the T@B works during the outing.  This includes blankets for warmth, alternative food and water sources, etc.  Its called the outdoors for a reason!  :|
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
    I carry a deep socket the correct size for the tyre lug nuts, and a long breaker bar to go with it.  I also have an old four sided (star) style truck lug wrench, that has several size sockets, and can spin the nuts off once they are loosened.
    cheers
    ScottG said:
    @ScottG - I didn't know the 2021 T@B 320 Boondocks only have 2-way fridges. What is the logic there?
    Not sure what the thinking was. As Denny16 noted, the new 2-ways are quite efficient, and probably less cantankerous than a typical 3-way (which operates by a totally different technology).

Regardless, a 2-way fridge will generally still draw more power than 3-way on propane. The pros and cons of one vs. the other have been debated here in other discussions--if you a do a search you can probably get more insight.
    2015 T@B S
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    There was a you tube video that showed the Costco TP breaks down better than the $$$ camping TP.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL