Options

400 Dinette Table - Bigger Sleeping area

I am getting my 400 in April (hopefully) and I want to modify the table area so that it's a bigger sleeping area and can actually fit (2) people. I was thinking about building a platform that comes out into the walk way and sort of blocks the door. 

Has anyone done this or something similar to make the dinette sleeping area bigger?

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited January 2021
    Not really doable, the TAB400 dinette is 69” long across the front for the useable bunk length.  But it is only 39” wide from front to head/washroom wall  (driver’s side), then the wall angles back (see diagram below).  The widest you could get a full length sleeping area, by blocking part of the door at the foot would be 39” (and screen door pocket would take a 2x2 inch notch at the foot.  The front bunk is big enough for a single adult, or two small children, but not two adults. 
    See diagram below:

Width at red line A is 39”.  With at blue line B is 53”.  But length at red line C is only 42”,  so would only fit a short person or child.  Max width blocking all of the door is 53” a standard double size bunk (54”), but for the added 14” your bunk length is only 42” long!

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    Looks like you'd just need your feet to get cozy with your bedmate's - or put the shorter/side-sleeper on the side with less length - could work?
  • Options
    blackc2004blackc2004 Member Posts: 117
    Denny16 said:

I don't know why you say "not doable" and then give a perfect example of exactly what I want to do... if you just fill in the area "C" you'd at least gain some sleeping area. Put your heads on that side and feet where you have "A" marked. This would be perfect. You could play footsie with your bed partner and have plenty of room to actually sleep. I've slept TWO adults in that area before, cuddled up, and it worked but was not ideal. If you at least had a little more width for your upper body area it would be perfectly fine.

Now, has anyone accomplished this? 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Have you considered an upper birth?  A bunk bed set up.  Use the benches to support some kind of framing.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Yes, didn’t think of swapping head ends, then yes could work, but as mentioned, it would be cozy.  Something younger adults could enjoy 😉...

You would need a custom, two part mattress that could be folded up to return to a couch mode.

But my biggest concern, would be the blocked door, which would slow down an emergency exit situation.

Sharon’s suggestion of just adding an upper berth is interesting, you could make a boat style pipe berth, which would be simple, but require brackets to be attached to the walls.  The bracket would need to be through bolted to the sides, with a baking plate outside, to sandwich the Azdel side panel structurally.  Or a frame on the inside going down the the seat bottoms, still would require attaching to the sides, but eliminate any structural issues, with the weight supported vertically.  
    Upper berths like this in RVs are normally for children, not full size adults.  Getting in and out could be challenging for an adult in this small space, but the edge of the dinette table, extending past the lower bunk cushion, as a step to get up and down.  Something I think I do not want to try out. 
    cheers
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    If you do a search for the Erwin Hymer GT (check YouTube as I know I saw a video showing the front bed conversion) you’ll see they’ve done something pretty clever that consists of a hinged support panel that flips out into the doorway and the mattress rests on that. 

So in @Denny16 drawing “C” would be the area that is supported by this platform. I would think any upholstery place could fabricate a cushion to fill that area. Now how it’s supported is another question. It could be plywood but then you have an odd piece to stow. 

We actually may look into doing this just to give us a bigger front bed but it’s hard to see how feasible it is without having the trailer yet. Again, once you see the Hymer’s bed it will make sense.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    The Erwin Hymer GT was an interesting trailer, but they won’t bust in Feb 2019 when they tried to ship uncertified trailers to Canada.  The front bunk also looks more like a Twin size bed, than a full double.  So the TaB front conversion along this line would be wider.  It is an interesting idea.  But still not a fan of blocking the only door in the TaB.
    Cheers
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    Yeah, I think the Hymer GT would’ve done really well here (particularly with younger people) but it was just as expensive as the 400 I think. 

I believe Thor might be resurrecting the Hymer brand again: https://newatlas.com/automotive/hymer-usa-european-designed-campers-us/

I can’t wait for brands like Hymer and Nucamp to inject some life into the bland (to me at least) domestic travel trailer market. 

Anyway, didn’t mean to hijack this thread. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    There was one 400 owner who removed the interior fabric-covered wall on the driver’s side of the dinette. This increased the length by 4” to 6” for the sleeping area. I always stored sheets and a blanket behind that wall. I called it my hidey-hole.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I also use this space for bedding Verna, and when made up as a bunk, the space is great for my glasses and phone.  At 5’8.5” I find the front bunk very comfy.

That said, their is a plywood panel behind the cloth cover thst supports the dinette seat back.  One could cut the cloth cover and add a hinge just below the shelf, that would be hidden by the seat back, that would fold up when made up as a bunk, giving 6” of more bed length.  This is an interesting idea 💡.
    cheers
  • Options
    WildflowerWildflower Member Posts: 3
    If you are on the T@B Camping Trailers group on facebook, search for a post from Kristin Foreman. She did exactly what I think you are wanting to do and posted many photos.