Which Grand Cherokee?

We are considering a new TV for our 2018 400.  While our 4Runner is OK it does struggle with hills.  After looking on paper at a lot of options we seem to be limited by physical size to another 4Runner or a Grand Cherokee as they will fit in our garage.  We really like to store our vehicles indoors.  The GC also has a greater tow capacity which we like.

We would appreciate thoughts on the 6 cylinder versus the 8.  How does the 6 cylinder version tow on hills?  Anyone towing with the 8 cylinder?  What milage do you get?
Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• TabulatingTabulating Member Posts: 84
    We are actually looking to buy the exact same vehicle for about the same reasons and we have the same questions.

I looked at many tow vehicles to arrive at the GC.  As far as 6 cylinder motors, the horse power is all about the same.  It does vary by a few, but pretty much any vehicle with 6 cylinders will perform just about the same uphill.  They are all 265hp to 290hp.

We are also looking for a GC with either an 8 cylinder, the diesel, or lastly a 6 cylinder.  Of course because it is Jeep, there are also three different 8 cylinder motors.  We are friends with a used car auction dealer.  He is helping us to find the right GC.  

He has only told us two things:  

1.  Do NOT buy a Trackhawk.  Well it's 707hp.  The same motor as the Challenger Hellcat.  It is really a racecar.

2.  Do NOT buy an SRT.  This one has the 475 hp 6.4L V8.  This trim level is exorbitant to maintain.  He told me if I want it, he won't help me.  He is not of fan of this trim level.

3.  That leaves the 5.7L hemi.  This is a well established motor.  It produces 360hp.

That is all I know.  So for me, if we can't find a decent used GC Summit with the V8, we will get a  GC Summit V6.  Many folks here tow with a V6, some in trucks, some in SUVs.  And if you compare hp, all V6's will perform about the same going uphill.  
    2018 T@b 400  towed by a 2012 JKU
  • NovaTabNovaTab Member Posts: 91
    Well I researched this long and hard, the air suspension, rock guards, built in 120v inverter, (your wife can use a hair dryer driving down the road) tow pkg all std

I only have 600 miles todate towing V6 is more than enough 17mpg, 7200 tow cap

With current incentives $41,500
    2021 TaB 320 Boondock, Gran Cherokee TrailHawk

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited January 2021
    My Jeep Gladiator has the same 6 cyl engine, and with the 8-speed auto and tow package, it is a grand tow vehicle for the TaB.  We tow a TaB400 without any issue at all.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    Forgot it has auto sway technology

• 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I had the a 14 GC SUMMIT WITH THE ECODIESEL (6 cyl). Beast! 420 ft/lbs of torque. Which, btw, is what you look for in towing. Think of it this way: torque gets you to speed, horsepower keeps you there. Also, it’s torque that gets you up the hills. Look for the engine that gives you the greatest amount of torque. Diesels are the bomb in this regard.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
    I think for a light weight trailer a diesel is no way needed, overkill

• dlbdlb Member Posts: 139
    Look at the CPO Germans.  Lots of HP, torque and comfortable rides.  They can work well with these trailers.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    edited January 2021
    We have a 2015 Jeep GC V6 Overland. We have been towing our 320 for 5 years. In my opinion the perfect tow vehicle with no issues. It will handle the hills as fast as I want to. It just depends on how much gas I want to use. I have always loved the resale of my past Jeep’s.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    Thanks to all that responded.  It is a tough call sometimes.  Wish we could hitch up to each vehicle and take an extended test drive.  Although in south Florida the best we can do for a hill is a bridge. 
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner