Options

upgrades to 2014 T@B 320 S

Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
edited January 2021 in Modifications & Upgrades
The last 2.5 months have been a whirlwind of panic stations, learning, and gaining familiarity with all the fabulous features of my (new to me) 2014 T@B 320 S. This forum has been a lifesaver and I'm so thankful for all the generous support you all have offered.
So... here goes, the list of upgrades I have accomplished by myself and with help from the RV dealer who sold me the T@B and now wants to become a local T@B dealer!

'Self' upgrades:
  • replaced the original elevator table with a removable slatted system to support the bed.
  • installed a Lagun table with a reclaimed, light maple tabletop
  • replaced the wet cell battery with a 100aH Lithium battery, because I am mainly a boondocker.
  • added a propane tank monitor
  • added an on/off switch and battery monitor
  • removed the tv
  • added a mattress topper
  • added 'D' cell battery powered fairy lights
With help from my RV dealer:
  • installed a rain hood over the Fantastic Fan - a 'must have' here on the north Pacific coast :)
  • installed a super nice wireless backup camera over the license plate 
  • pulled the fuse from the Jensen stereo - if it had bluetooth, it would be more useful to me, but mostly, I enjoy the quiet of the woods
  • knick knacks, such as fixing faulty tail light wiring and replacing the cap on the city water intake
Upcoming...
  • there was a bit of a sale on Renogy suitcase solar panels, with a built in waterproof controller, so I'll be trying that out soon! Looks snazzy!
  • make some window shades
  • fix the broken end cap on the sewer hose 
  • boondocking shake out trip #2
Here's a few photos of Sunny with her new rain bonnet and back up camera

2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Mellow_Yellow, congrats on your highly productive mode. Just a note, if purchasing a Renogy suitcase with controller, make note if the system/suitcase you choose has a "waterproof" controller. I understand that some of the Renogy units do not have a controller able to withstand the elements, thus requiring a bit of extra work and some inguinuety when designing proper protection for just such a controller. All of this is all part of the adventure. Enjoy!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Thank you @dragonsdofly - just to confirm my Renogy has the waterproof Voyager Charge Controller.
  • Options
    Kathy_JoKathy_Jo Member Posts: 3
    Which wireless backup camera did you install?  There are so many choices and I can't make up my mind.
  • Options
    Hi @Kathy_Jo - I installed a very highly rated backup camera, described in the post at the bottom of this comment. However... there is a potential issue with the T@B 320 S license plate holder, namely that the camera bracket obscures the top 1" or so of the license plate which is a shame:

I'm going to go ahead and use it 'as is' because my particular license plate (British Columbia) has the word 'trailer' at the top which is less crucial information than the province/state name, which is fully visible. 
    The camera has a swivel mount and so I've been wondering if the bracket could be mounted some other way. Perhaps alter the bracket so that the camera is positioned off to one side of the license plate light housing?
    Here's my original post:
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/12732/less-ideal-than-hoped-wireless-backup-camera-attached-to-the-license-plate#latest
  • Options
    Boondocking shake out trip #2 was fabulous! I tried out a bunch of the new gear including the lithium battery. The Alde purring away on propane. Unfortunately the RV dealer replaced the city water valve without a check valve so all the water came shooting out of the side of the trailer. Luckily I lots of reserve water with me. That's all fixed now.
    The rain hood was a-mazing!!!

I'm just gearing up for shake out trip #3 and have new gear nets from https://www.organizedobie.com/ and small trifold foam mattresses instead of the memory foam which took up way too much room. I haven't tried out the solar yet. It's still pretty rainy here and the lithium holds its charge so well that it's still fully charged!
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Hi @Kathy_Jo - I installed a very highly rated backup camera, described in the post at the bottom of this comment. However... there is a potential issue with the T@B 320 S license plate holder, namely that the camera bracket obscures the top 1" or so of the license plate which is a shame:

I'm going to go ahead and use it 'as is' because my particular license plate (British Columbia) has the word 'trailer' at the top which is less crucial information than the province/state name, which is fully visible. 
    The camera has a swivel mount and so I've been wondering if the bracket could be mounted some other way. Perhaps alter the bracket so that the camera is positioned off to one side of the license plate light housing?
    Here's my original post:
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/12732/less-ideal-than-hoped-wireless-backup-camera-attached-to-the-license-plate#latest
    I purchased a similar wireless setup from Amazon, but got the dual camera one.

It came with a similar camera to yours.  In the manual it said if I email them they will send a free second wireless camera.

Have a  choice of an RV one that looks like a toy block with an antenna or one like yours but with a smaller single hole bracket.  I'm opting for that one because the RV one looks like it would go up near the roofline of a larger RV.

Do have to hop thru a few hoops to get the free one.  They want a review on Amazon with pictures, then a screen shot of the review sent to them.

It's been rainy here in FL so I haven't had a chance to install it.  The original camera like yours is going on my truck, and the free smaller one is going on the T@B when I get it.

I did hook up the camera/monitor sitting inside of the truck and the images were really good.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    Wow! That’s fabulous news. If I get any grief about my current setup, I’ll definitely get the 2nd smaller camera. @Tampakayaker would you have a minute to add the information you provided above to my other post?
  • Options
    fmcnuttfmcnutt Member Posts: 3
    Hey Mellow Yellow, I am a newby to the tribe and want, among other items, the rain bonnet for the Fan tastic. Where might I find one for a value - though they likely don't cost too much?
  • Options
    Welcome! @fmcnutt. Here's the name of the model I purchased: Fan-Tastic Vent U1500WH Ultra Breeze Vent Cover - White
    I purchased it online and then took it to my rv dealer for installation. It comes with everything you need to easily install it on an existing Fantastik Fans with no added drilling. I've been out with mine on 3 trips now and rain is  a non-issue! I keep the vent open constantly. No condensation build up, even on damp, cold days.
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited March 2021
    @fmcnutt, you did not indicate what year/model T@B you own, but if the vent base/frame has the raised plastic mounting tabs, you will need the Dometic U1400 model (comes in three colors: gray smoke (#U1400GRS); black smoke (#U1400BLS); or white (#U1400WHS).)  The U1500 will not work with the mounting tabs.  See the below discussion thread if you have the mounting tabs, because it is not an easy item to locate/purchase:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/111606#Comment_111606

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Oh wow @Bayliss - Thanks! I guess I lucked out that the Dometic (aka Fantastik Fan) U1500 fit my 2014 320S. Any idea what year T@B 320 ffans started shipping with mounting tabs?
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Mellow_Yellow, I believe they first did that with the 2019 model, but it did not seem to be consistent, because I believe some later year models did not have the mounting tabs.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Last weekend's camping trip, the first trip with hot running water, revealed 2 issues: almost no water pressure at the kitchen sink and, as a result, water dribbling back onto the counter around the taps.  :frowning:
    I'm hoping this new water saving attachment will add some water pressure, allow me to redirect the stream, and also deplete the little 5 gallon tank less quickly!
    I'll be trying this out on my next 'local' trip, 12 days from now...
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,426
    @Mellow_Yellow, a similar swivel adapter was one of the first things I added to my 2015. I don't know if it makes much difference in the water pressure, but it make a huge difference in keeping the water flowing onto the sink rather than onto the counter.

The one I have allows you to switch between a stream and a spray.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Welcome! @fmcnutt. Here's the name of the model I purchased: Fan-Tastic Vent U1500WH Ultra Breeze Vent Cover - White
    I purchased it online and then took it to my rv dealer for installation. It comes with everything you need to easily install it on an existing Fantastik Fans with no added drilling. I've been out with mine on 3 trips now and rain is  a non-issue! I keep the vent open constantly. No condensation build up, even on damp, cold days.
    Is your fan screwed into the roof?  I think that's why they say no drilling needed.  You remove the screws and replace them thru the cover.

Mine is a non screw model fan, not sure if this cover would work?  I do not have the 4 tabs on the roof.
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    Hi @Tampakayaker - my T@B's FFan does not have the 4 tabs on the roof. My RV dealer installed the U1500 vent cover for me and I'm sure that the cover was installed with the provided hardware and with no drilling because I told them to only install it if it was the correct model and did not require any additional drilling. But because I did not do the work myself, I don't know the exact installation steps required. 
  • Options
    Hi @Tampakayaker - my T@B's FFan does not have the 4 tabs on the roof. My RV dealer installed the U1500 vent cover for me and I'm sure that the cover was installed with the provided hardware and with no drilling because I told them to only install it if it was the correct model and did not require any additional drilling. But because I did not do the work myself, I don't know the exact installation steps required. 
    The one video I saw, they didn't have to drill like you said. Their fan was a screw in type.  The 4 screws were removed, the sealant was cut a bit for a level fit in a couple spots, then new screws were put thru the new cover and back into the existing holes along with ample amounts of sealant.

Since my fan doesn't have screws, I don't know if the cover you got will fit, and I know the 4 tab model definitely won't.

None of the info I can dig up on the one you bought mentions about using it on the no screw type of fan.

I did see a Maxi Vent type that screwed into the sides of a fantastic vent, but it was only for a non powered type.
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    @Tampakayaker - I've read that the Maxi vents aren't as easily fitted to the Fantastik/Dometik brand fans. You can always try ordering the U1500 fan vent and then return it if it doesn't fit. I think there is a good chance it will fit because the brand is the same and it is a fairly universal part.
  • Options
    More mods! Here are some recent additions:
    1. I bit the bullet and upgraded the foam seating cushions to denser, poly-wrapped foam - just in the "U" shaped sections of the seating - 6 cushions total cost me >$400. Very worth it. I will still use a memory foam topper, just to keep the sleeping surface separate from the uphostery.
    2. A cigarette lighter type USB adaptor so that I can charge my cell phone while boondocking.
    3. A 48" (max) curtain rod so that I have a place to dry towels. I'm going to try mounting it at nighttime, above the galley and take it down in the morning.
    4. In progress: I'm getting a friend to paint a work of art on the gray fridge door and side panel. The design is in the works, ETA is October!
    5. I've also had 3 or 4 trips where I've used all the plumbing, including the black tank. Such a treat! The 2014 has tiny tanks so I extend them by keeping TP out of the black tank, whenever possible. I use a "smart siphon" to top up my fresh water and an 'oil pan try' to empty gray water in smaller quantities. The Alde hot water boiler is impressive! Near on-demand hot water, even for those luxurious longer showers. 
    Just 3 more sleeps until my next trip. I'm super excited to be going back out to Pacific Rim National Park. I was lucky to grab a cancellation! And I'm really looking forward to a more comfortable night's sleep with the new foam.