Options

winterize and water pump

I just drove my brand new 320s 2021 boondock home last week. I am in process of winterizing.
My battery level was on 'good' last night, while sitting inside looking at all these manuals. Now panel reads battery low.
Have it all winterizing set up, all is drained, hose hooked to camper fresh water, open end of hose in RV antifreeze.
All I hear is a hum. 
I opened the water at sink, which did nothing.
Do i need to charge battery more, to winterize and activate the pump? I do not have access to proper electric outlet at home.
I'll have to see why this  brand new camper battery is on low, but any tips on pump during winterizing?
2024 Tab 400 Boondock, Oregon

Comments

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 612
    edited January 2021
    The pump only draws from the tank, not the city water inlet.  If your tank is dry and the pump is on, it will continue to run until it builds pressure, or drains your battery.

To winterize with anti-freeze, go to the pump, disconnect the pump inlet hose from the tank, stick it into the anti-freeze jug, then turn on the pump.  Then it will pump anti-freeze into your system.  First though, you should re-charge your battery by plugging in 110V power.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    BaileyBailey Member Posts: 37
    Thanks. I am charging my new battery now.
    As to winterizing w AF, I was following Jenn Grover's Winterization instructions and NuCamp manual. Jenn has same as me, 2021 320s.
    I tried you advice, found the heat pump hose connections very difficult to loosen, maybe because it is new(?).
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    If you are using the "light panel" battery monitor, and something is on in the trailer...anything...the monitor will always read lower than the actual state of charge.  Every sort of monitor has this ability to give a "false reading" if the battery is being charged or discharged when you try to measure it.
    If you park the trailer, and the battery switch is still on, the trailer will use about 4 amps a day to run what is known as "parasitic drains".  Things like the entertainment system use a little power, and more importantly, the gas monitor uses power...all the time....if the switch is left on.
    So:  find a better way to monitor your battery.  Have factory installed solar?  Find the Victron App for your phone.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    I'm WINTERIZED!!!!!!
    I decided to follow Jenn's directions one more time. This time, I held the 
    hose with antifreeze in it up high, and poured the AF directly into the hose, worked fine! 
    My first winterizing in my brand new Nucamp. Thanks for tips.
    I had read about the Victron App in the FB group, love apps and will likely get it.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    If you have factory solar, it will be a huge improvement over your monitor in the trailer.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    @Baily, did you use the Nautilus to winterize your plumbing?  Is the AF coming out your faucets, shower and toilet?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Yes, used Nautilus to winterize. Yes, AF coming out from all hot/cold faucets and showers, including outdoor showers, and toilet. I'm in Eugene, OR, not too cold here over winter but wanted to be safe.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    OlyCampersOlyCampers Member Posts: 22
    Hey there Bailey!
    We're relatively new T@B owners ourselves. Picked up ours about a year ago. We live near sea level in OlyWA, and I too think a lot about what is the right choice for us in terms of winterizing. Decided that until I learn a painful lesson, I'm gonna stick with using a compressor to clear the lines. This thread has learnt' me that I should probably add AF to the drains (kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower, and toilet), especially if temps are gonna go low. 
    Currently trying to decide what we could do in terms of using our camper this time of year. I'm thinking that in situations where nighttime temps may fall below freezing, but generally in the 20's or higher, with daytime temps - including travel time - above freezing, we'd be good to go. And by "go," I mean we could use our toilet. Avoid putting anything into the gray water tank, and definitely not charge the freshwater system. But I think we could use the toilet, flushing with a gallon jug of water. Keep the cabin heated thanks to Alde. Worse case scenario, put some AF down the toilet if we think there's a chance that we'd encounter below freezing temps on the road home.
    Anyone got thoughts on that?
    Thanks!
    2020 T@B 400 Boondock Lite behind our 2014 GMC Sierra. Homeport is Olympia WA USA.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    On the 2019/2020 TaB400, look before you dump antifreeze in your drains, under your galley sink, you will not find a P trap, but a 90-degree HEPVO valve type trap, that does not hold water, so no need to add anti-freeze.  Just dump some in the shower and washroom sink to get antifreeze in their P trap and down into the lower tank drain/gate valves, same with the black tank, add enough to get some in the black tank drain line/gate valve.  No need to fill the holding tanks full of the stuff, just enough to get the lower drain lines filled.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ColoradoSunColoradoSun Member Posts: 134
    If you have an inverter installed make sure it is turned off when not in use. They use a surprising amount of battery power even when nothing is plugged into the outlet. Also turn your battery cutoff switch to off that will prevent further drain on batteries while still allowing your solar panels to charge the batteries.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
    SW Colorado
  • Options
    Good points OlyCamper and Denny16.
    I have a 2021 302s Boondock, came w Solar panels. Another Q for ColoradoSun:
    I park the trailer outside here in Oregon with rain, clouds and some sun, and more clouds. We winterized. My battery cutoff switch is off.

I have read the owners manual, and variety of Forum comments.
    It is my understanding that when the battery cutoff switch is turned off, the Factory-made rooftop solar panels on will continue to charge the battery. Is that correct?? 

And there are mentions of removing the battery for winter, and setting this up on a "trickle" charge, but we are using trailer for occasional winter camping on the coast. Is the solar panel enough for a trickle battery charge during the winter with occasional coast camping? Purchasing a battery charge detector soon, and still looking at the solar power app.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    The solar panel will continue to charge the battery even with the battery cutoff switch turned off.  We leave our battery in the trailer and it stays nicely charged, no issues.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Thanks, good news.