Options

Adjustable hitch issue

CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
edited January 2021 in Trailer & Towing
I purchased the HF aluminum adjustable hitch a week or so ago, but only had chance to check out the fit today.
The hitch will be used to get the needed rise to tow my soon-to-arrive 320 BD. My hitch receiver is underneath and slightly forward of the rear bumper, and unfortunately, the HF adjustable hitch does not extend far enough out to allow it to be used in the rise position.
The HF is about 3-1/2" from the 5/8" hole to the 90 bend. I need something closer to 5". Can anyone recommend an aluminum adjustable hitch that is just a bit longer?
2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country

Comments

• Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    It comes with obvious downside but if weights and circumstances permit, perhaps a short receiver extension? 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    NovaTabNovaTab Member Posts: 91
    why do you need aluminum?
    2021 TaB 320 Boondock, Gran Cherokee TrailHawk

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    To be clear, a receiver extender of any length, such as AirBoss suggests, effectively cuts your tongue weight limit by 50%. If you have a 1000 pound limit, no problem, you’re at 500 and can still safely tow any Tab. If you have a 500 lb limit, big problem as you’re now down to 250. A longer hitch insert is key to avoiding that issue. 

Is there a particular reason it has to be adjustable? There are plenty of fixed size ball mounts of various lengths out there.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    I had n aluminum hitch draw bar and ball setup for my Renegade to tow a small row boat, and used it once to tow the TaB, it started to get a cut line on the bottom where it fit into the receiver on the truck.  Now it has been retired.  For towing a heavy trailer like a TaB, you need a steel draw bar and ball unit.  Get one with the correct rise and draw bar length to fit your TV, then Bob’s your uncle...  B)
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    I had a really similar issue with my Q5 - i needed a high rise, min 500lb tongue weight limit, and the hitch receiver was mounted far forward and low on my car.  I found the Curt 45812 was one of the only units that could get me the rise I needed and still clear my bumper:

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/45812

I have this and although I don't yet have the trailer, the hitch itself fits great!  Let me know if you need any measurements off it to help you decide if it'll work for you.  The website above gives a few of them. 
  • Options
    Thanks to all for the suggestions, with a special shout-out to @TomCanada. Appreciate the offer for measurements and may take you up it.
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    CharlieRN said:
    Thanks to all for the suggestions, with a special shout-out to @TomCanada. Appreciate the offer for measurements and may take you up it.
    Is the steel HF adjustable any longer?

I have the HF non adjustable hitch, and the length is pretty long.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Check out Anderson for both adjustable and fixed aluminum stingers. I have a couple of the fixed ones and have close to 40k miles towing and no issues. https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/alumistinger.aspx
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Thanks again to all.
    I'm going to try the Curt that was recommended. Though I generally try to buy locally, I took the easy way and ordered from the massive on-line retailer named after a Brazillian river. Curt has a store on the site that shows the length of the hitch at 13", which should be more than enough to clear the bumper.