Battery boxes and battery box accessories — add your battery box and accessory links

VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
edited January 2021 in Products and Accessories

I have the dual 6 volt Harris AGM batteries and this battery box is sturdy. The box fits easily in the 2021 T@B 320 new restyled Diamond plate tub.

I also ordered these two straps from Amazon to hold the battery box in place. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”

Comments

• charlottenewbiescharlottenewbies Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for this info.  Do you have a picture of the battery box installed in the tub ?  Thanks
    Charlotte, NC    NuCamp 320S Boondock
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I added the photo
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • charlottenewbiescharlottenewbies Member Posts: 16
    thanks so much !

Charlotte, NC    NuCamp 320S Boondock
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    edited January 2021
    Verna had a couple more pictures in this thread that discussed the new version "tub".
    Sometimes, when dealing batteries, the extreme stiffness of the cables makes for difficult gymnastics in an enclosed space like a battery box. I found these "ultra flexible" cables when I put together my Victron shunt last year.  It made a frustrating afternoon soooo much easier.  The photo shows a 5 foot cable, but the link goes to a three foot cable. (Other sizes are available.)

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    @Verna I have been considering an upgrade to 2 6V AGM’s. I assume your battery box is too large for the previous standard-size Boondock tub?
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
    @Travelin3D, I never tried installing it in my Diamond plate tun on the 2014 T@B S Max, nor my 400. You’ll have to use the exterior measurements from the website I used to see if it would fit. 

Although the box was intended for the 2014, I decided to sell my home, trade the 2014 in and live fulltime in the new 400. I didn’t need it in the 400 as the it already had dual 6V AGM batteries under the bed. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    I not 100% certain but I doubt that box would fit in the older style Outback/Boondock tub, at least not with a propane tank as well. I've recently been perusing older discussions of dual GC batteries installations. In most the batteries themselves fit, but there didn't appear to be any extra space for a standard box or enclosure.
    2015 T@B S
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    The more I read about AGM's I keep coming across the idea that this type of battery can be installed in any position except upside down. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • PongPong Member Posts: 39
    @Verna, did you have to modify/strengthen the BD tub or platform floor to accomodate the weight of the dual battery set up? I'm planning to replace the original Interstate battery (81Ah, 42#) with 2 Trojan T-105 (62# each) and wondering about the extra weight in the tub. I was looking for a sturdy side by side box, straps, and cable. Thanks for the links.
    2021 Tab 320 BD; Honda Passport
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited February 2021
    Verna’s battery box is in a 2021 Aluminum tub, that is a fairly substantial construction.  The driver’s side of the trailer frame runs under the battery box, supporting most of the battery weight.  Her battery box is a thick polycarbonate type material, and distributes the weight across the frame and tub floor.  The propane tank sits in the other part of the tongue frame, and helps to balance the load. 

I got the same Aluminum tub box for our TaB, and it is more than capable of holding two 60 lbs batteries. 

The issue is you are going to add about 80lbs to your tongue weight, so something to be aware of.   Verna is using a Ford F-150 truck, so,the added weight is not an issue for her.
    cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    @Denny16, thanks for the prompt and detailed reply. I have a new 2021 320 BD also, so same tub and construction as Verna, I assume. I plan on sourcing the exact tub as Verna’s since I am not an early adopter/tester kind of person. My spare is mounted just aft of the tub, under the Tab as received from the factory. My TV, a Honda Passport with tow package has a tongue weight rating of 500#. I will be traveling with what I expect to be an “average” to “low average” load of gear and supplies (my previous camping mode was backpacking). Does that tongue capacity sound adequate to you (or others with experience)? Thanks.
  • CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 438
    edited February 2021
    Pong said:
    @Denny16, thanks for the prompt and detailed reply. I have a new 2021 320 BD also, so same tub and construction as Verna, I assume. I plan on sourcing the exact tub as Verna’s since I am not an early adopter/tester kind of person. My spare is mounted just aft of the tub, under the Tab as received from the factory. My TV, a Honda Passport with tow package has a tongue weight rating of 500#. I will be traveling with what I expect to be an “average” to “low average” load of gear and supplies (my previous camping mode was backpacking). Does that tongue capacity sound adequate to you (or others with experience)? Thanks.
    I don't have an answer to your question @Pong but I am in an almost identical situation.
    When delivered next month, I will also have a 320BD and am having the dealer install dual 6V batteries. As with your BD, my spare will be mounted as received from the factory and my tow vehicle (Volvo XC90) has the same tongue weight rating as your Passport.
    Here's my ballpark, pre-delivery tongue weight calculations.
    - T@B 320 BD with the spare, factory battery and propane tank - 220 lbs.
    - The 6V batteries weigh about 70 lbs each which is probably a net of about 100 lbs after removal of the factory 12V (ballparking it at 40 lbs). I'm not sure what percentage of that translates to tongue weight but since it's pretty far forward, I'm going to guess 80% (80 lbs).
    If that's accurate at all, the adjusted tongue weight would be roughly 300 lbs and would leave considerable leeway.
    I'd also very much appreciate hearing from experienced 320 owners on this.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
    @Pong, the only modification I made was to add the straps as the batteries were installed using two pieces of aluminum angle pieces, one across the ends of the batteries and the other on one side. 

You’re very welcome for the links. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    @Verna, what is the purpose of the angle iron?to add structural strength? to keep the box from moving? for some other reason? Do you believe it’s necessary? Thanks.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited February 2021
    Deleted, sorry Verna.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    edited February 2021
    @Denny16, I would rather answer questions that are asked of me—thank you for complying. 

@Pong, the aluminum angle pieces worked for the batteries that were not originally in the battery box. They were one way to keep the batteries in place, straps are another way.  

My preference is to contain the batteries in a battery box with a lid and kept in place by nylon straps. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Thank you for the information. Sounds like I should be fine with the 2 T-105 batt, in a box like yours Verna, with the box strapped, or screwed down, without any additional structural elements. Now to research the Victron Smart Shunt!!
  • OyajiOyaji Member Posts: 31
    edited February 2021
    I got this lockable box for a 100aH Battle Born Lithium battery.  I bolted it on to the platform next to the tub (2021 320S):

https://torkliftcentral.com/powerarmor-single . There are several vendors; I got mine from e-trailer.  

Of course, no battery box is 100% theft proof, but this should deter the casual thief.  
  • Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    Fabulous @Oyaji - I also found a vendor in Canada: 
    https://www.rvsuperstorecanada.ca/power-armor-12v-battery-box 
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Oyaji, can you post a photo of the "Torklift" box mounted on your trailer?  I read a review that says the lock is keyed with a standard RV storage box CH751 key (all trailers have the same stock key.)  Is that what you received?
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

Yes, I looked at the key and it says CH751 on it.  I take it, therefore that this isn't very secure, as anybody can buy these keys from Amazon!  I'm NOT happy with this discovery, but thanks for warning me. I'll see if I can't figure out another way to secure this otherwise nice box.  I'll post a picture later; the trailer is stored some miles away from my house.  
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    Oyaji said:
    Yes, I looked at the key and it says CH751 on it.  I take it, therefore that this isn't very secure, as anybody can buy these keys from Amazon!  I'm NOT happy with this discovery, but thanks for warning me. I'll see if I can't figure out another way to secure this otherwise nice box.  I'll post a picture later; the trailer is stored some miles away from my house.  
    The lock should be very easy to change out. Equivalents with unique keys should also be available on Amazon, you need to measure the diameter and shaft length to get the right one, but I swapped mine out on my exterior compartment in about ten minutes...and I’m not particularly handy.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    Oyaji said:
    I got this lockable box for a 100aH Battle Born Lithium battery.  I bolted it on to the platform next to the tub (2021 320S):

https://torkliftcentral.com/powerarmor-single . There are several vendors; I got mine from e-trailer.  

Of course, no battery box is 100% theft proof, but this should deter the casual thief.  
    Hi @Oyaji - I also wondered how you mounted the box and if the existing power cables are long enough to reach the new location.
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Oyaji, "YES," you will want to replace the lock.  If you have a CH751 key on your side storage compartment, then you should change that as well.  I agree with @VictoriaP that you can find a replacement lock on Amazon, eTrailer, etc.  If you also need to change the storage compartment door lock, you can buy a pair of "keyed-alike" locks so that they are the same.  If you are like me, the less keys you need to haul around, the better.

Take a look at the customer reviews on Amazon for the box you purchased.  There are photos on there showing how at least one person drilled a couple holes through the box frame and lid to add a padlock, which is another option to secure the box.  For the premium you paid for the box, which looks nice, you would think that they would include a more secure lock.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

edited February 2021
    I'd love more space in the accessory box, but I'm not ready to re-configure/disrupt the original T@B 320 S tub.
    Here's a locking bracket I found that fits a group 24/27 battery box: http://www.b-drvbatterylock.com/balocl.html
    Hoping this will provide the security I need for my brand new lithium battery :)
    @Oyaji, thank you. That’s a sharp looking box but it’s exactly $10.99 less than the cost of both my FLA Trojan T-105s. Now if I had a Lithium battery and budget...
    edited February 2021
    Here is a pic of the mounted battery box.  I mounted it using the existing big holes on the platform, using 2.25 in. fender washers to cover the holes, plus a rubber washer between the fender washer and the platform to isolate the aluminum platform from the zinc-plated fender washer and bolts.  The Li battery has + and - cables running thru the back of the box into the tub.  There I have two isolation switches, one to isolate the lithium battery, and one to isolate the stock wet cell.  The plan, at least at first, is to charge the isolated lithium battery with a 100W panel, and let the roof panel charge the stock battery.  When the charge level of the stock battery gets low, or for running Alde on a cold evening, I will switch over to the lithium battery.  Since I'm going to be way out in the western high plains off the grid and with no plans to go anywhere once I'm set up, what do I have better to do than monitor battery levels all day long as I wait for night?  (The only reason I'm out there is to do astronomy--and my astro gear is considerably more costly than a lithium battery so I pretty much have to babysit it.)

We'll see how this experiment works out. If it doesn't, I'll figure out something else.  

BTW, the thingie on the platform on the other side of the tub is a bracket for a NATO-style 20liter gas can, also mounted using the fender washer system.  

• SubieDooSubieDoo Member Posts: 18
    edited May 2021
    @Mellow_Yellow could you post a picture of your Li battery in the standard 24/27 tub with the locking bracket you listed? How did you secure this bracket in the tub (assuming that's what you did)? http://www.b-drvbatterylock.com/balocl.html

@Verna I really like the battery box type you currently have and have shown in other threads. I'm about to purchase one BB 100ah 12V LiFePO4 and will have to change out my current battery box (24 group) because of increased dimensions of the Li battery. I don't want to mount inside the trailer because I just don't think I have the skills to do that--so I need to be as secure as possible in the tub. Do you think the Century Plastics box could be bolted down from the inside? It looks to have a flat bottom inside and I wouldn't want any screws to damage the battery housing itself. 

2021 320-S Boondock

2021 320S BD
    TV: 2021 BMW X5 Drive 40i
    @SubieDoo - I ended up not being able to use battery bracket because there wasn't enough clearance. Instead, I'm using a MasterLock adjustable cable lock like this. It works great! Fits right around the narrower part of the Group 24 battery box and the welded, metal battery tray.

@SubieDoo, I do not recall what the bottom looked like. 

I highly recommend emailing or calling the seller and ask for their opinion. I would really hate to give you my opinion and then you damage the box by following my
    opinion. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN